Honda Grom banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
My spacers came today, looking at them they almost seem too much? I'll try them tomorrow and if it's too stiff I may cut them down, actually cut a section out of the center. What's the rear travel? I'm guessing I'll want maybe 1" of laden sag.
I havnt busted out the tapemeasure but it feels like about 1 is what I have now full gear. It's firm but not overly so imho.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Pulled the trigger and got the Ohlins Mini S36 Twin Shocks HO919 from KYLE-USA. I too made "an offer" below the $575 buy it now and they accepted. Probably not as aggressive as Hondajon's offer, but we'll see how they are when they get here on Monday.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The spacers seem a little too much for my weight so I ordered YSS adjustable shocks. I'll report back how they do.
If anyone wants my set of spacers (which are probably best for those over 200#) I'll sell them for $40 shipping included in the 48. I believe I paid $55 plus $13 shipping for them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Pulled the trigger and got the Ohlins Mini S36 Twin Shocks HO919 from KYLE-USA. I too made "an offer" below the $575 buy it now and they accepted. Probably not as aggressive as Hondajon's offer, but we'll see how they are when they get here on Monday.
These are great shocks. Ride 100% better plus they allow you to mount a grab bar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That was a good idea. Did you have to rout or groove them so they'd stay together and not slide off the spring or bottom flange?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had to disassemble the shock to get them on. 2.125” hole saw then 1.25” hole saw. ID was just a hair off and had to use a barrel sander to clearance spacers to shock body. Compressed springs on the bike one at a time. Used large zip ties to hold the springs. Four per spring did the trick.

·
Registered
17 Posts
For reference I weigh 190 in street clothes. My spacers are .7” total thickness. I didn’t try any other preload distance, what I have feels good. Rear is planted in washboard dirt road bumps and I haven’t hit the bump stops since installing. I have two extra spacers if you want them. .35” thickness each.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That's helpful info and around 1/2" - 3/4" is what I was guessing I needed. I truly appreciate your offer but hopefully I shouldn't need them with the adjustable shocks which are on the way. Had I known earlier, and yours were available I would have bought your extras.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Ohlins shocks came in the mail yesterday. They are a work of art. Can't wait to get them on the bike. There is a 4 page installation booklet with 3 steps. 1.Put bike on stand. 2. Remove standard shock 3. Install Ohlins shock. I guess they didn't want to over complicate the mounting instructions. I assume the extra set of springs is more heavy duty. Not sure which one to go with. I'm 200lb and probably tack on an extra 20+lb for gear.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When you bought them from Kyle USA, did you send them your weight?

If you did, they set them up for you before shipping. Mine were ready to go (heavier spring installed) right out of the box.

Just a few tips:

if you plan on installing a rack or grab bar, face the valve nuts forward.

Remove the plastic muffler cap, gives you more clearance.

Get a helper when installing. I did mine one at a time and you really have to extend the stock shock to get to a point where the Ohlins will slip on.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
My rack is a little different than what you have and might clear the nut. I'm getting friend that has a shop with proper tools to install. Hard to tell which is the heavier spring. One is numbered 60360-02 and the one on the shock is 60360-01

·
Registered
20 Posts
60360-02 is the heavier spring.

I asked Kyle-USA to set mine up for 210lbs. You can use my pic as a starting point on where to start with the adjusters.

You'll be amazed on how much better the Monkey rides post install.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The spacers seem a little too much for my weight so I ordered YSS adjustable shocks. I'll report back how they do......
I ordered the YSS shocks along with a chrome rear rack from Beezdeals. Total cost including something like $65 in shipping from Thailand was $234 and I won't hesitate to order from them again. They acknowledged my order right away and estimated around 3 weeks for it to arrive (it showed up in 10 days).
I installed the shocks and rack together and it was a breeze just take off and replace one shock at a time. I don't know what weight spring they use but the shocks came with only around 1/4" of preload threads showing and just giving it my bounce test it was firmer than stock. I turned the preload rings two revolutions tighter with the tool provided and took it for a ride on a bumpy, patched up road I drive on regularly and I couldn't more pleased. No bottoming just a great ride. I wish my new Tenere' rear suspension was as compliant!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also noticed the rear shocks were weak. I want to go with spacers. At 200# how much spacer will I need if anyone could guess and what is the best material to make them from?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I also noticed the rear shocks were weak. I want to go with spacers. At 200# how much spacer will I need if anyone could guess and what is the best material to make them from?
I ordered the ones made by chimera they stiffened the end up alot more than stock. I hear most people are using a hard plastic like cutting board material whenamong their own. As far as how thick I guess that depends on how stiff you want the rear. Trial and error my friend though I'm sure someone here could give you a starting point.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

21 - 38 of 38 Posts