Honda Grom banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Shocks have been installed, but not without some drama. The mechanic rolled it on the hoist and locked it in. Well, we thought it was locked in. While chatting about a 1962 Maserati he was just finishing up, we heard a loud boom. Yep, the bike fell off the hoist and banged into the wall. The only damage was a bent clutch lever and a cracked mirror. He fixed the damage and installed the shocks. Had to use the heavier springs. Took the bike on an extended ride to Alki beach in Seattle with no bottoming out. On the way back, I did some exploring of the private roads around the water and the hills above Puget Sound. I never realized the huge number of multi million dollar homes that are on dead end streets that are just wide enough for a car. I love this bike. You can be a real estate looky-loo and always be in stealth mode with the low db muffler and the 8 foot turning radius.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Installed the Chimera preload spacers used some tie down straps and cloth to avoid scratching the springs to get them on after trying some zip ties first.

Being 5'9 and 210 pounds definitely made a big difference no longer bottom out when hitting bumps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed a set tonight. The zip tie idea is dangerous and quite frankly doubt if it would work or be safe. I am 243 Pounds and was bottoming out all the time. Now I hardly ever bottom out. Quick tip do not try the zip tie method as one broke and stung my hand pretty good. Take a ratchet tie down cut the end off that is attached to the ratchet, then cut the hook off the loose strap that's long. Weave the loose strap through the top of the spring and then pull it to the lowest part of the spring you can. Put the two ends together and put through ratchet. Make sure the handle is pointing down (you will need the force) Before tightening put a microfiber towel between the ratchet and the spring (Single Layer do not double fold as you will need the space). Tighten the strap then when its really tight pull the spring up toward the cieling with the ratchet or by pulling on the loose strap. You will have enough room to put the spacers in. Then zip tie around spacers to hold them so they do not move when you release the strap (and you can keep your hands free from possible injury). Have a buddy with you as the bike can topple over pretty easily. Have your buddy sit on the seat and the strap will releases easier. (side note put he gap in the spacers facing the front and the rear so you can not see the split from the side)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I went with Takegawa adjustable shocks with red springs, for red bike. Very pleased with them, much better than stock even on lighest setting. Also available with Gold or Black springs I believe but not yellow, think gold would look good on your bike if you didn't want to go with a contrasting colour.
Got mine in UK from Ben's Bikes (Takegawa UK) not sure what your options would be

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Ohlins shocks came in the mail yesterday. They are a work of art. Can't wait to get them on the bike. There is a 4 page installation booklet with 3 steps. 1.Put bike on stand. 2. Remove standard shock 3. Install Ohlins shock. I guess they didn't want to over complicate the mounting instructions. I assume the extra set of springs is more heavy duty. Not sure which one to go with. I'm 200lb and probably tack on an extra 20+lb for gear. View attachment 87854 View attachment 87856
I just got these too, I need to swap the springs out but not sure how it's done?

41 - 55 of 55 Posts