Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I picked up a 2019 used Monkey and in riding it home find the rear springs bottoming on a few places. I'm 185# and would like something with a bit stiffer springs, but affordable so high end stuff like Ohlins are out. It'd be nice if the springs were yellow to match the original but if not black is ok. Other than Beez Deals, which have black adjustable, but they don't give the spring weight, any suggestions?

Loving this little bike so far! The oblatory first pics. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sweet ride I wanted yellow but settled for red as it's the only color my local dealer could aquire.
As far as heavier springs I've purchased some spacers from steady garage that's supposed to act like a preload for the stock suspension. I also weigh 185 pre-gear so I'll report back my findings and for I think $50 if it works as it should then I'd say it's a super cheap option.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Jblackwell. I'm happy with the yellow but would also be with the red or blue, they all look great IMO. I'll be watching for your thoughts after you get the spacers installed. Question, does adding preload stiffen the remaining spring rate? Or simply raise up the bike allowing more travel? Or both?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thank you Jblackwell. I'm happy with the yellow but would also be with the red or blue, they all look great IMO. I'll be watching for your thoughts after you get the spacers installed. Question, does adding preload stiffen the remaining spring rate? Or simply raise up the bike allowing more travel? Or both?
I'm not entirely sure tbh. My current assumption is that it partially compresses the spring therefor making the spring act as if it were stiffer yet allowing for the same amount of travel to the bumpstop. I would also think that bike would at the very least seem to sit slightly higher in the rear at that point.

1st time ever really messing with shocks if I'm honest. Parts shipped today so I should have em by end of the week, covid allowing, and installed shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went with the Ohlins Mini S36 Twin Shocks HO919 from KYLE-USA on EBAY. They set them up for you weight and ship fast.

Made an aggressive offer and they accepted.

Best money I have spent so far on the Monkey. 100% improvement on the ride - no more bottoming out, plus the springs match the yellow bike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I went with the Ohlins Mini S36 Twin Shocks HO919 from KYLE-USA on EBAY. They set them up for you weight and ship fast.

Made an aggressive offer and they accepted.

Best money I have spent so far on the Monkey. 100% improvement on the ride - no more bottoming out, plus the springs match the yellow bike.
When you say aggressive how aggressive we talking? Feel free to dm.

·
Registered
153 Posts
There are some cheaper options out there, I went with a set off of Amazon which work quite well so far, there’s also YSS shocks. I’ve heard good things about the spacers also since they’ll force a bit of preload onto the springs to stiffen them a bit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, I looked at some YSS shocks but I couldn't determine what # their springs were. I may just order the spacers. I'm mainly just looking to eliminate the bottoming out going over speed humps, large dips in the trails, etc. Other that that the cushy ride is nice. My bike did not come with an owners manual so I'll need to order one of them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I definitely weigh more than you at 250lbs but I went with shocks from Tbolt. They were $85 shipped and are fantastic. I have to say I Personally prefer my suspension on the stiff side. These shocks do the trick and the more I ride the more they break in and become plush. They may be stiff for your weight but worth inquiring about.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jesse but I just ordered the spacers so for $50 + $13 shippingo_O I'll give them a try. I definitely don't want them too stiff. All new stiffer sprung shocks for only $20 more seems like a lot better deal though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was going to bite the bullet and get the Ohlins with the reservoir, but I didn't know there was a version without it. Anybody want to comment on the differences before I buy?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Price and the non reservoir units allowed me to mount a Kitaco grab bar.

I'm fairly certain it would be hard to distinguish the ride differences between the two versions on a bike like the Monkey.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Jesse but I just ordered the spacers so for $50 + $13 shippingo_O I'll give them a try. I definitely don't want them too stiff. All new stiffer sprung shocks for only $20 more seems like a lot better deal though.
Let us know how they work for you. Some people just need a little more stiffness and of these actually have a good build quality and seem reliable they could be a good option for some

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have done about 300 miles since I installed my Chimera preload spacers. I went from bottoming out frequently to zero bottoming out. And I'm around 240lbs! They both raise the bike and stiffen the ride. They also all but eliminate sag.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have done about 300 miles since I installed my Chimera preload spacers. I went from bottoming out frequently to zero bottoming out. And I'm around 240lbs! They both raise the bike and stiffen the ride. They also all but eliminate sag.
2nd this. Put em on today havnt had a chance to put any real time on em but I can tell you that before I was bottoming out the suspension on small bumps and stuff and now I can ride off curbs and not bottom out. Definitely feels like it will be all that I need.
Edit: I weigh about 210-215 all geared up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was looking to get the MNNTHBX shocks, but after watching a video of the install, I noticed there was no room left on the upper mounting point for the accessory rear rack. The company does state that some modification may be needed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My spacers came today, looking at them they almost seem too much? I'll try them tomorrow and if it's too stiff I may cut them down, actually cut a section out of the center. What's the rear travel? I'm guessing I'll want maybe 1" of laden sag.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts