Honda Grom banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This is good advice. :)
We live in a rural canyon about 10 miles outside of town, so most of my riding is winding two lane roads. Population is about 8,000. Lane splitting situations are basically in town traffic so I rarely do it.
Come visit Los Angeles and we ride together at 3:00 pm thru downtown, it'll be super fun.:big smile:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't understand how or why someone would take a Grom on the freeway? Out here in Cali the speed limit is usually 65 MPH with most traffic going 70+ MPH, even semis. My stock Grom tops out at 50 MPH on a good day. Are you guys talking about only when it's rush hour traffic?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I don't understand how or why someone would take a Grom on the freeway? Out here in Cali the speed limit is usually 65 MPH with most traffic going 70+ MPH, even semis. My stock Grom tops out at 50 MPH on a good day. Are you guys talking about only when it's rush hour traffic?
My dear friend, Fwys 10, 60 & 5 top speed is 20mph at 3:00pm and sometimes totally stopped, for a few moments the speed goes up to 45 and then goes back to 15 ~ 20mph. If the speed was 65+ I'd take my car and would have not even consider buying the Grom. If I get a CB300R or bigger bike I don't think that I could go more than 50 ~ 55 miles any way because the insane traffic at rush hour.

By the way, I got the Grom for commuting purposes only. It is my way of transportation from home to work due to insane traffic in Los Angeles. I guess every body should have a bike like in China. No more cars in California.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My dear friend, Fwys 10, 60 & 5 top speed is 20mph at 3:00pm and sometimes totally stopped, for a few moments the speed goes up to 45 and then goes back to 15 ~ 20mph. If the speed was 65+ I'd take my car and would have not even consider buying the Grom. If I get a CB300R or bigger bike I don't think that I could go more than 50 ~ 55 miles any way because the insane traffic at rush hour.

By the way, I got the Grom for commuting purposes only. It is my way of transportation from home to work due to insane traffic in Los Angeles. I guess every body should have a bike like in China. No more cars in California.
I guess but I've been in situations where there's heavy traffic due to a crash or something but then all of the sudden it opens up and cars are back to going 70+ MPH. I guess in that case you'd have to find the nearest exit?

Also aren't Groms not legal on California freeways? Does CHP not really care?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
I guess but I've been in situations where there's heavy traffic due to a crash or something but then all of the sudden it opens up and cars are back to going 70+ MPH. I guess in that case you'd have to find the nearest exit?
Not in Los Angeles on these Fwys and at 3:00pm to like 7:00pm
Also aren't Groms not legal on California freeways? Does CHP not really care?
I have a friend who says that he has driven his Grom from Long Beach to Beverly Hills, He takes from Long Beach the 710 N, 60 W then 10 W Fwy and exits on La Cienega Blvd. Never had a problem.

That's why I want to get a CB300R or CB500F 2019 model. I don't want to have problems with the law.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not in Los Angeles on these Fwys and at 3:00pm to like 7:00pm

I have a friend who says that he has driven his Grom from Long Beach to Beverly Hills, He takes from Long Beach the 710 N, 60 W then 10 E Fwy and exits on La Cienega Blvd. Never had a problem.

That's why I want to get a CB300R or CB500F 2019 model. I don't want to have problems with the law.
That's not always true. I had a job in Downtown L.A. and had to be there at 5:30 pm from Norwalk. So that means taking the 5 freeway North for 15 miles or whatever it is. Obviously traffic going south is really bad at that time, but going North was completely inconsistent. I guess it just depends on what freeway you're on and the direction of travel. I personally don't think I would ever take my Grom on the freeway in L.A. though. Then again I'm fully stock and I don't want to be that douchebag going 45 mph on the freeway when there's a line of cars forming behind me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That's not always true. I had a job in Downtown L.A. and had to be there at 5:30 pm from Norwalk. So that means taking the 5 freeway North for 15 miles or whatever it is. Obviously traffic going south is really bad at that time, but going North was completely inconsistent. I guess it just depends on what freeway you're on and the direction of travel. I personally don't think I would ever take my Grom on the freeway in L.A. though. Then again I'm fully stock and I don't want to be that douchebag going 45 mph on the freeway when there's a line of cars forming behind me.
My Grom hits 63mph at the time I get out of work traffic going east on the 10, 60, 710 or 5 is like 20 mph top. A good electric scooter or good regular bike would be sufficient but of course it is illegal.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Come visit Los Angeles and we ride together at 3:00 pm thru downtown, it'll be super fun.:big smile:
Thanks for the offer, John. :) I never go into town except for work and that's in a truck. We live up in the Santa Monica Mountains near Malibu. It's a biker Disneyland of winding canyon roads. Late every Wednesday night in good weather you can hear the clubs screaming through the canyons with the sound echoing off the hills. It's music! :) Everyone goes to the Rock Store on weekends.

IMG_1846.jpg

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks for the offer, John. :) I never go into town except for work and that's in a truck. We live up in the Santa Monica Mountains near Malibu. It's a biker Disneyland of winding canyon roads. Late every Wednesday night in good weather you can hear the clubs screaming through the canyons with the sound echoing off the hills. It's music! :) Everyone goes to the Rock Store on weekends.

View attachment 80324
That sounds like a lot of fun gathering tooter, one of these Wednesday I'll go with my Grom so we can meet.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I’ve only done short sprints on Hwy 101, back when they were doing repaving up to Healdsburg. I do fine on Hwy 128 & Hwy 1, especially in the twisties, but speed limit is 55, and I can cruise at that speed w/ no issues. Actually cruises quite nice compared to my old Aprilia RS50 & Honda 250XL.

·
Registered
883 Posts
That sounds like a lot of fun gathering tooter, one of these Wednesday I'll go with my Grom so we can meet.
Man, I'd like to but I work during the week and the Rock Store is open Friday Saturday and Sunday. The rains washed out the bridge on Mulholland Highway so it's not directly accessible from the East. But you can go North on the nearest road and cross up river and then go back South to Mulholland and it's right there.

http://rock-store.com/

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Wow! that's a nice picture! I work during the week too, if Saturdays is open I'll make the effort go one day.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Wow! that's a nice picture! I work during the week too, if Saturdays is open I'll make the effort go one day.
It is... because I didn't take it. (lol)

PM me when you're going. There's also another local Grom guy who goes to the Rock Store. We missed each other because at the time I didn't know there was a way to get around the closed bridge.

One Grom rider is solo... two Grom riders are just riding together... but three Groms is a GANG. :)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
It is... because I didn't take it. (lol)

PM me when you're going. There's also another local Grom guy who goes to the Rock Store. We missed each other because at the time I didn't know there was a way to get around the closed bridge.

One Grom rider is solo... two Grom riders are just riding together... but three Groms is a GANG. :)
Sure, I'll contact you. I'll be on vacation next week. I'll invite a friend of mine who also has a grom.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ride dirty on hwy 280 from the City to Belmont and back again...commuting purposes! Right lane hogger and dodger gets me to point A to point B..a calculated risk, but also keep my head on a swivel.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts