Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys ridden your Grom on the Fwy, specially when the FWY is super busy and the top speed is about 20mph ~ 30mph? If you have ridden in the FWY how did you feel about it, did you get a ticket?:big smile:

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
splitting lanes up here in Northern Calif is EZ, Hwy 101, 237, 880, across the Bay Bridge, Golden Gate bridge, etc. If you are new at riding esp freeway riding then use the back roads.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
splitting lanes up here in Northern Calif is EZ, Hwy 101, 237, 880, across the Bay Bridge, Golden Gate bridge, etc. If you are new at riding esp freeway riding then use the back roads.
Great! My route would be going from the Beverly Hills area taking the 10 East FWY to the 60 East FWY getting off on the East LA area. AT 3:00pm the top speed on the 10E FWY is like 20 ~ 30mph and the 60 E FWY like 55 mph. I feel very comfortable splitting lanes already.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's a traffic jam and you're doing 20 to 30 MPH I don't see how you could get in trouble.

I've ridden mine on a 2 lane highway where the speed is 45 and 55 MPH without any issues.
Yes, the 10 & 60 FWYs are always very jammed about the time a leave work (3:00pm). I guess I have to give it a try see how it goes.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Great! My route would be going from the Beverly Hills area taking the 10 East FWY to the 60 East FWY getting off on the East LA area.
You sound like The Californians on SNL. ;)

AT 3:00pm the top speed on the 10E FWY is like 20 ~ 30mph and the 60 E FWY like 55 mph. I feel very comfortable splitting lanes already.
I split lanes when vehicles are stopped, but it creeps me out to ride between moving vehicles. I've been on the freeway a few times and keep to the slow lane at 55-60 mph. I don't believe I'd get a ticket unless I was going too slow and impeding the traffic flow. With traffic congestion most of the time it's impossible to do that.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You sound like The Californians on SNL. ;)

I split lanes when vehicles are stopped, but it creeps me out to ride between moving vehicles. I've been on the freeway a few times and keep to the slow lane at 55-60 mph. I don't believe I'd get a ticket unless I was going too slow and impeding the traffic flow. With traffic congestion most of the time it's impossible to do that.
When I drive my car on the 10 & 60 FWYs I see lots of big bikes (Harley Davidson big & wide, big ninjas, big 1000cc Yamahas, etc) splitting lanes very easy, these lanes are very wide, a very small car may fit in between the two lanes. Why driving a motorcycle if you cannot split lanes? That's the whole idea of driving a motorcycle so all the traffic is left behind you. May as well drive a car if you are going to be behind a truck.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Hint when riding on the Freeway or any roads in Calif. Mount yourself a action camera such as a go pro with lots of batteries, you need a video witness just in case some ass hole decides to change lanes with out signaling or is on a cellphone being distracted. I have my action camera GoProHero 7 mounted on my helmet.

Groms have low light visibility so all my lights on my grom are LED including the head light and I have the head light on Hi-beam when doing my lane splitting. My front running yellow lights are LED and is 3x the brightness of the stock ones so they see me coming down the road.
I also have a helmet that is shape like a CHP-Police helmet and those cars see that and open up the lanes to let you thru.

Lucky for us we live in Calif where lane splitting is legal and if someone dicks with you it is a vehicle in fraction if they are caught, that is why action camera is your video witness.

I've been to court for a couple of motorcycle related accident and a video camera tells it like it is, just make sure your date and time stamp is correct. I won a $180,000 lawsuit on one accident where the guy in a cargo van changed lane into my Hayabusa while he was on a cellphone not paying attention or signaling.

Ride safe splitting.

·
Registered
609 Posts
My ride to work is on bike 10 minutes and to home is 10 minutes. On 4 wheels the ride to work is 25 minutes and home is 45-55 minutes. You better believe it, I'm splitting lanes with stopped and moving traffic, but I'm smart about it and won't split as long as they are within about 10mph to the speed limit.

My Gopro is always on, with spare cards and batteries in my jacket. I won't ride unless I will have a video witness by my side. I've learned my lesson on that one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hint when riding on the Freeway or any roads in Calif. Mount yourself a action camera such as a go pro with lots of batteries, you need a video witness just in case some ass hole decides to change lanes with out signaling or is on a cellphone being distracted. I have my action camera GoProHero 7 mounted on my helmet.
Yes, you are right! Cameras were the first things that I bought as part of my gear. I have two, one mounted facing the front and a 2nd mounted facing the rear, so I can have 360 view. Both cameras record in 1080P for 2 hrs with stamp date, in 10 min each video for easy access. I also have a Shoei all white helmet that looks like a police officer helmet, the cars slow down when they see me coming and move away for me to pass and I thank them with a "yes" head move.
Groms have low light visibility so all my lights on my grom are LED including the head light and I have the head light on Hi-beam when doing my lane splitting. My front running yellow lights are LED and is 3x the brightness of the stock ones so they see me coming down the road.
My Grom has LED lights, I always drive with high beam lights on during the day.
I also have a helmet that is shape like a CHP-Police helmet and those cars see that and open up the lanes to let you thru.
Lucky for us we live in Calif where lane splitting is legal and if someone dicks with you it is a vehicle in fraction if they are caught, that is why action camera is your video witness.
I've been to court for a couple of motorcycle related accident and a video camera tells it like it is, just make sure your date and time stamp is correct. I won a $180,000 lawsuit on one accident where the guy in a cargo van changed lane into my Hayabusa while he was on a cellphone not paying attention or signaling.
Ride safe splitting.
Thanks a million for your advice and for telling your story though. I think sharing these kind of experiences help greatly the motorcycle community.
Also, it is very good to report those car offenders to the local police station.

I have reported several already and the LAPD has been great sending police officers to the places where has been reported from. Just this morning they caught a guy who I already know every morning about 5:30 am drives his car about 80 mph in a 35 mph zone. I guess he will have to pay for it because those police officers are watching now. Also, I drive almost every morning along the way for a while with 2 motorcycle police officers and I feel very protected since I am just behind them.

·
Registered
883 Posts
When I drive my car on the 10 & 60 FWYs I see lots of big bikes (Harley Davidson big & wide, big ninjas, big 1000cc Yamahas, etc) splitting lanes very easy, these lanes are very wide, a very small car may fit in between the two lanes. Why driving a motorcycle if you cannot split lanes? That's the whole idea of driving a motorcycle so all the traffic is left behind you. May as well drive a car if you are going to be behind a truck.
That's fine. Go for it. :)
You don't even need to try to convince me. I was only describing what I do which is to split lanes while vehicles are stopped. Everyone has a different style of riding and I'm ok with that because I get the consequences of how I ride just like every other biker does.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My ride to work is on bike 10 minutes and to home is 10 minutes. On 4 wheels the ride to work is 25 minutes and home is 45-55 minutes. You better believe it, I'm splitting lanes with stopped and moving traffic, but I'm smart about it and won't split as long as they are within about 10mph to the speed limit.
My ride to work in the morning 5:30 am is 30 min (streets only). From work to home is 40 min for 17 miles
In my car going to work takes me 30 min (FWY only). From work to home 1hr. 30 min. for 17 miles.
My Gopro is always on, with spare cards and batteries in my jacket. I won't ride unless I will have a video witness by my side. I've learned my lesson on that one.
If all comes to worse you always have indisputable evidence that the car hit you and the car driver can be sued and take everything he/she owns. I have friends that are great motorcycle lawyers. Just make sure the law is on your side. Nobody owns the road, we all pay taxes and licenses, we all must share the road and WATCH the road. You hit some one, you are fully liable for it.
Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's fine. Go for it. :)
Thanks for your suggestion, I'll try it.
You don't even need to try to convince me. I was only describing what I do which is to split lanes while vehicles are stopped. Everyone has a different style of riding and I'm ok with that because I get the consequences of how I ride just like every other biker does.
I'm sorry tooter, I did not want to be critical about your ridding style, you are right we all have our own way of ridding and feel safe.
I do splitting lane when cars are stopped and there is room for me to pass, when traffic is already at the legal street speed limit I just follow the cars, but I'd do split lane if the cars go down to like 15 ~ 20 mph and if there is room for me to pass and with high beam light and throttle running high for letting cars know that I'm there. My goal is always to get to the red light and be the first one to go as the green light, pedestrians and cars in other directions let me go. Always checking for pedestrians, dogs, cats, rats, car crossing in the middle of slow traffic, etc.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Thanks for your suggestion, I'll try it.

I'm sorry tooter, I did not want to be critical about your ridding style, you are right we all have our own way of ridding and feel safe.
I do splitting lane when cars are stopped and there is room for me to pass, when traffic is already at the legal street speed limit I just follow the cars, but I'd do split lane if the cars go down to like 15 ~ 20 mph and if there is room for me to pass and with high beam light and throttle running high for letting cars know that I'm there. My goal is always to get to the red light and be the first one to go as the green light, pedestrians and cars in other directions let me go. Always checking for pedestrians, dogs, cats, rats, car crossing in the middle of slow traffic, etc.
Don't worry, you can't offend me. :)

I can share with you the reason why I don't split moving vehicles.
I've been riding for 54 years and have seen just about everything.
I saw a guy get creamed by a lane changer, so I just don't ever want to be that guy.

·
Registered
883 Posts
If all comes to worse you always have indisputable evidence that the car hit you and the car driver can be sued and take everything he/she owns. I have friends that are great motorcycle lawyers. Just make sure the law is on your side. Nobody owns the road, we all pay taxes and licenses, we all must share the road and WATCH the road. You hit some one, you are fully liable for it.
Thanks for your advice.
My approach is to avoid exposing myself to potential lane splitting consequences rather than to figure out ways to deal with them.

It's far easier to stay out of trouble than it is to get out of trouble. hNtEB6l.gif

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My approach is to avoid exposing myself to potential lane splitting consequences rather than to figure out ways to deal with them.

It's far easier to stay out of trouble than it is to get out of trouble. View attachment 80204
If you don't split lanes while cars are moving, what do you do when you see an Escalade SUV or a Ford F150 tailgating you and the driver is distracted texting or talking in the phone? Or even worse you get a bike hater behind you and you can see that his/her intentions are to stamp you in the rear bumper of the car in front of you?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
It's far easier to stay out of trouble than it is to get out of trouble. View attachment 80204
This^^ Just as a general statement.

Anyway, dont live in an area traffic is ever too bad to even consider lane splitting, but if i did, i probably just wouldnt live there. It really just comes down to location/need and what youre used to. In winter we drive full sized cars and trucks out on frozen lakes, for some thats a very foreign concept and something theyre super hesitant about (or just wont do), but its just normal to me. As long as you understand and are willing to accept the risks, its easy to do.
As far as vehicles on the road and defensive driving... If im on a bike, im looking everywhere. I know how inattentive those 4 wheelers can be... Im definitely less attentive when in my car then on the bike.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ridding a motorcycle is dangerous always, anything can happen to you while ridding the bike, so technically since the moment you get on the bike you are already in a possible trouble. In California lane splitting is legal and car drivers share the road not a problem, most of the time they even move of the way so the biker can pass freely in between the lanes. I guess is just matter of knowing the rules.

Just this afternoon, a car driver even retracted his left mirror so I could pass freely in between the lanes. I thanked him for that action, it's great.

Just like we have a buffet on my building that no one gets on a line to get their food, everyone gets their empty plate and goes directly to the food the he/she wants to get, but then everybody gets on a line to pay for their food. Everybody is on a rush so we all understand. Have you noticed some people take for ever to get a piece of meat? They see it for a million times then they put it back then they finally take it again and if you are waiting for them it becomes so frustrating and you only have 10 min to eat, ha, ha, ha.

·
Registered
883 Posts
This^^ Just as a general statement.

Anyway, dont live in an area traffic is ever too bad to even consider lane splitting, but if i did, i probably just wouldnt live there.
This is good advice. :)
We live in a rural canyon about 10 miles outside of town, so most of my riding is winding two lane roads. Population is about 8,000. Lane splitting situations are basically in town traffic so I rarely do it.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Ridding a motorcycle is dangerous always, anything can happen to you while riding the bike, so technically since the moment you get on the bike you are already in a possible trouble.
Yes.

Since riding itself is already an assumed risk... I do my best to avoid adding any other risks on top of it. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts