Honda Grom banner

Strokd_GE's GRnOM build thread

Build: 
113K views 80 replies 34 participants last post by  Strokd_GE 
#1 ·
Got a call yesterday from the dealer I orignally went to about the Grom about their only unit coming in, they didn't take deposits so I went first thing this morning and with the help of my kickass girlfriend, rode away on my very own red Grom.. Not sure what I want to do as far as mods, I'm just basking in even having one :shocked:

Place I take pictures of my 2 wheelers

And my initiation process, I have to do a nice burnout with everything I get

Stay tuned for more pictures and ill figure out mods eventually

See less See more
#9 ·
So I think I'm done riding for the day.. Clocked 62 miles so far and 39 of those have been 2up with the gf.. With us both we mustered 58 on flat, sitting up an 62 with a pretty good tail wind.. So far I love it and for whatever reason this seat doesn't seem as stiff as Jeankysti's did whenever I rode on his.. Idk

anywho, my only mod so far was peeling off the tank cover stickers and placing my second hondagrom.net sticker in a place another member did which I thought was awesome

My only current "woes" have been finding a middle ground between second an first gear when coasting in the 10mph range.. You either bog second and rev out first, I'm sure ill figure it out but right now its bugging me and also I (think) I'm hearing a clatter around 7k in 4th gear but I'm not sure, it's bit windy today and it may be something just shaking around but it wasn't there earlier, now it is so ill be listening more to hopefully source the noise or just live with it

#14 · (Edited)
#16 ·
Tore off the right panel for shits to look at things.. Ended up unhooking the intake tune from the throttle body and taking it for a spin.. WOW it felt like it could actually breath! Revved out like nothing and sounded 100x better! I think I'm going to pick up a pod filter and run it on days I know there isn't a chance of rain

i pulled the plug to see how it is doing, not many miles after the air box mod but it seems to be running clean

Also had my girlfriend sit on it so I can take a picture of her

#17 ·
Rode it to work for the first of many times to come.. Enjoyed it a lot, good to have my own two wheels again. I got about halfway to work when the fuel indicator started flashing with about 75 miles on it (note probably 60 of those had been ridden 2up) so I slowed down and drove it easy.. Made it to work and on my way home stopped to fuel up, now 93 miles and nearly 20 miles of riding with the fuel light on it only took 1.1gal.. Nice! Lol

Also broke 100miles on my way home, bitter sweet to see it roll triple digits but so much fun doing it

#18 ·
A couple notes.. This was my first time out on the road at night and the lowbeam sucks, I need to adjust it.. The highness however was fantastic! I wanted to leave it on all the time haha

also I rode to work open throttle body, popped off the intake tube and pushed it aside and then rode home with it reconnected, defiantly a difference in the top rpms, routed through the airbox it struggles to rev past 8-8.5 and open it has no issue getting to the limiter in wot runs.. I ordered a cheap pod filter to run when I know the weather will behave.. Not to mention it sounds SO much better with the open tb, I did notice that the DIY airbox mod goes give the intake a throaty tone vs stock and would recommend it to anyone looking for a little something

#20 ·
I actually adjusted my low beam tonight. I have it so the reflective dots down the road are illuminated but go dark if I weight the fork. That way I know it's not shining in people's eyes. My adjustment bolt (located on the bottom of the assembly) had to be moved about 2mm forward to be just right.

#21 ·
My low beam stops completely after maybe 40ft my guess? Hit the high beam and I feel like it illuminates as far ask can see

An update for today's journey, I hit 67, flat open air this morning running an open throttle body.. Not the best but it runs better than the airbox

Also just read that the front sprocket is shared with an XR80, 10$ and easy to find.. Probably pick one up to try

#25 ·
Just rode in the wet for the first time, not real rain other than a light drizzle but the roads were soaked

My first impression.. I need rain boots lol it felt like the only thing getting wet were my shoes and then coming to an intersection, green through light, left turn, yielding to oncoming traffic and I touch the rear brake *slide* let off, touch it again *slide* wtf I start cautiously using the front more then try the rear again *slide* so I said fuck it and just went, I thought maybe I had gotten some oil or something on the tire but at every light it would lock with the slightest touch and on a sweeping left the bike felt like it wanted to slide sort of like the feeling sand gives you, Ive had more wet tire confidence on my old elite with a worn Michelin bopper on the rear with 50psi and a non-dot pocket bike china brand 90/65-10 on the front with ONLY front brakes

Glad I don't have to ride in the rain much but ill defiantly be changing up to a better tire in hopes of getting some more confidence in my braking

Next will be a vid smoking off this stocker, big ride this weekend.. Maybe ill do it then

#27 ·
Did my first oil change this morning, a hard ridden 295miles on it, did just a drain and fill, Ill clean the screen at 600 when I change it again

the oil was pretty dark, I was inside my garage so the picture I took was with the flash, you can still tell its pretty dark

aaannnddd just after that picture I realized I had lost the drain plug into the funnel clogging it resulting in oil pouring out onto my hands and the garage floor lol oops.. Oh well, changed and filled up with Honda 10w30.. $5/qt I couldn't say no

#30 ·
Since ill be going tomorrow (and tues) to finally get my endorsement I figured I would start shedding the bikes legal parts and cleaning it up a bit

my girlfriend is always interested in helping me and learning so she helped me tackle removing the rear section and fabing a diy tidy tail until I find something I want to buy

Finished product, ugly and probably will break but it was free and temporary

next to her Metro just after she gave it a much needed bath

and finally I was putting the intake pipe back into the airbox and ended up fixing the slack in my throttle then pulling the tb to spy into the intake runner, not too bad for stock but I can't wait to start porting this head

i have wed/thurs off nnext week so uunless something more important comes up, ill be strapping it on the dyno to get baselines

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.