Honda Grom banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The question is what is your time worth, the yoshi carb has proven to be a fantastic one but not everyone can or cares to fiddle with them especially when the bike comes efi standard

You'll always have the efi vs carb debate and while I think a slide carb will produce a higher peak number compared to a throttle body of the same size only because of the intake port is nearly completely open vs having a butterfly fly in there to turbulate the air, efi will beat in about every real world driving category

In the end it's all about preference, efi is the ideal solution in 99% of riding scenarios

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
The question is what is your time worth, the yoshi carb has proven to be a fantastic one but not everyone can or cares to fiddle with them especially when the bike comes efi standard

You'll always have the efi vs carb debate and while I think a slide carb will produce a higher peak number compared to a throttle body of the same size only because of the intake port is nearly completely open vs having a butterfly fly in there to turbulate the air, efi will beat in about every real world driving category

In the end it's all about preference, efi is the ideal solution in 99% of riding scenarios
yep once you get up in the higher elevation you will wish you had F/I. I rode from Sunnyvale Ca to Reno with a carb motorcycle and once I started getting above 4000-5000 ft elevation my engine started to lose power, lack of air/fuel mixture at the right elevation causing loss of power. F/I system takes care of that. EZ to adjust and tune vers changing jets

·
Registered
537 Posts
After putting a timing light on the bike, I found out that you have to use a tps with the carb setup. Otherwise, it throws the timing off. One is supplied with the Yoshimura Grom conversion kit. I have the Takegawa 4 valve kit now. This thing screams now. I had the Finbro 183 kit before and there's no comparison.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
After putting a timing light on the bike, I found out that you have to use a tps with the carb setup. Otherwise, it throws the timing off. One is supplied with the Yoshimura Grom conversion kit. I have the Takegawa 4 valve kit now. This thing screams now. I had the Finbro 183 kit before and there's no comparison.
Are you running the conversion kit? Good info

·
Registered
537 Posts
I'm only using the cables and tps - not using the rest of the stuff. I keep my injector plugged in.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Wow they really like zip ties. Why don't they use pinch clamps that are designed for that?
The video must be old or just demostration purpose because I thought the same thing however the kit comes with actual clamps for the fuel lines

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey guys, im recently install the yoshi kit with yoshi yd 28mm carb, but the carb wasn’t tuned for the stock 125. Im having trouble tuning, cant get it to idle, engine doest want to run when wide open. The carb came with main 105 and pilot 45. New spark plug shown im on the lean side. I went up to main 135 and pilot 48 still a bit lean... im really confused.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thought I’d add something to this thread. Rebuilding my grom and finally after a year of trial an error I have a grom that is not completely ruined! Instead of leaving the censors and efi stuff hooked up I gutted everything. No ecu no sensors everything is completely gone. This required a gy6 AC scooter cdi to get back spark, hook this bad boy up to the ckp and wire the starter motor up and you got a basic pit bike with lights. This makes for an extreme weight reduction and instead of spending an arm and a leg for the kit I did it for almost a little over 100$ however with the 3 cdis it took me to learn that I needed a dc cdi instead of a ac I probably ran up to 200$. I got it to start and idle however opening the throttle it bogs out. Running way to rich because you can tell by the sound and the spark plug is black. Got a rejet kit for my 40$ carb. It’s a slide disk carb I’m pretty sure so I got a 2 stroke throttle cable because my carb needed a tiny little needle instead of the chunky ones on the stick throttle body. Hoping this rejet kit will get the bike going again. Will be posting some photos and videos with the information on how to do this on my own thread. Might make some YouTube videos because it doesn’t seem anyone has done a complete rewire/rebuild on a hondgrom
CHOP TILL YUH DROP BABY

·
Registered
4 Posts
GUYS! IM BACK! so 8 months later, ive finally coughed 250 for the Yoshi carb on webike but silly me, I shouldve paid another 100$ for the full kit. Didn't realize when i bought the kit with just carb and manifold I lost a very important part... THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR, I have a random cdi in it from ebay, but i dont know how i could encorporate a tps into ignition spark. Thats why I can get the bike to idle but not rev because the timing is not advancing. Not sure what I am gonna do, this project keeps changing, year and a half plus into rebuilding my grom. I miss riding this thing. Im just gonna stare at my original throttle body where the tps is and see if I can think of something... sadly you cannot buy individual parts from the yoshi kit.

But guys, is this thread dead? have all of you either gave up on the carb conversion or have you finally resolved all of your issues, please dont let this thread die I check it frequently.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts