Honda Grom banner

Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki Honda Grom Competitor?

37K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  rkwfxd 
#1 ·
By now the entire Motorcycle Industry has to realize the Grom and MSX125 is going to be a home run for Honda. Do you think Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki will wake up and release something similar?

#5 ·
Everyone has one already its just not in states. Yamaha R125 - Aprilia rcv 125. Thats why im pumped going back to the ol days 70's. And im only 29 but seen gpa and dad with there collection growing up. I too want the aprilia cuz it looks just like the rcv4 but a price i can afford plus im all back roads and single highway to work

#14 ·
The Aprillia 125 bikes are pretty sweet also..

View attachment 356 View attachment 357
HELL YEA the rs125 is sweet, especially the rsv4 replica but isn't available here ... base msrp is 5,499 but I also agree with Strokd GE, these are more the sport bike market (for intro riders after the Grom or scooter) ... I would now LOOOOOOOVE a Tuono version from Aprilia in a 125 base with some 12" or 15" wheels to bust around the city!

#15 ·
Do the motorcycle manufacturers actually READ motorcycle forums?

I mean, in the twenty years Ive been posting theyve never taken ANY of my suggestions...

#16 ·
The Grom looks a lot like the Mustang pony from the 60's. I'm not so sure there will be a lot of competition as most people are going to want a 250-300cc minumum bike so they can take the bike on the interstate and go at least 70 mph. The profit margins seem to be too small to attract a lot of companies although I really like the smaller bikes myself. The Kawa 300 is now considered the premier entry-level bike and that replaces the Ninja 250. Honda answered with the 500cc bikes out now, so there does not seem to be any push to make bikes smaller and still street legal. In fact Aprilia does not sell the 125 in the states any more and Honda doesn't sell their CBR 125 for the US market. There is not even a big market for 125 cc. scooters in the US. The larger scooters predominate the market. The Grom may be unique. Personally, I would take the Grom on the interstate but just not for long trips...just a couple of exits. It's legal in Texas if you don't impede traffic flow and really, some heavy trucks do not go 65 mph. Just stay in the right-hand lane. If I could start new threads I would love to know if people intend to ride it on the interstate, how tall they are, if they plan to get service contracts or do the maintenance themselves. But no, I do not think there will be much competition for the Grom at 125 cc. If anything, they may make a Big Grom like they made the Big Ruckus in a year or so.

#17 ·
but the big ruckus failed. lol. theres a difference in a 125cc bike trying to be a "sportbike" and trying to be something different than anything else out there. 125cc bikes fail here because they have tried to make them a "sport" bike. since our license system does not have a graduated system, theres no "need" in customers eyes for the 125cc full fairing sportbike.... (even though everyone could actually benefit from it). so, making the grom something thats NOT out there, its in a sense, opened up its own class that appeals to..... pretty much everyone. its not a full fairing sportbike... its not a scooter... its not a motard... its not a dirtbike trying to be a streetbike.... its just a GROM!!! and thats why we all love it

#18 ·
Exactly. Honda brought something to the game that had not been there before. Most of the other 125's in other countries are just smaller versions of other bikes already out there. I know personally if I wanted a sportbike I would just buy a cbr or an R6. IMO

#19 · (Edited)
I also love naked bikes and will buy a Grom. I do not like taking fairings off to get to oil filters for one thing and fairings add weight and expense...especially if you ever drop the bike. Fairings are needed along with a fly screen for race bikes to gain higher speeds. Yes, supermoto and dual sport is another category if for no other reason the seats are way too tall for people who will gravitate to the Grom. I think there will be a lot of people who also have faired bikes who will buy a Grom too because it is unique. That short wheel base and small tires should make for some excellent maneuverability once you get the hang of it.....about 20 seconds in my case. Test the brakes, test the tires, find the clutch friction zone and shift points...ride the wheels off of it.

#20 · (Edited)
Sure, but it is harder for large companies to make changes. I own a 2013 Zero S. All of the recommendations made by forum members on that forum were incorporated into changes from 2011 to successive years, but Zero is a small company. The company not only reads the forum, they contact members to discuss and correct problems including flying someone out to fix the bike of needed. The Zero S sells for $16000 though. You are not going to get that kind of service in a $3000 bike, but you can be certain someone from Honda peruses all the forums. Besides Honda relies heavily on their extensive dealer network to run interference for them.....oops, I mean take care of customers. In any case, the Grom shouldn't have any problems since the bike is not new and Honda bikes are reliable.

#28 ·
I hope the other manufactures get on board, couldn't hurt. More consumer options the better but I have to say the Grom nailed it.

Sweet re your Zero S, I just test rode one and it was a fun ride.

#25 ·
Only KSR has a viable entry IMO. and yeah if any come to usa they'll one up the Honda. Good thing is Honda will always be more reliable and have higher resale.

#29 ·
We do everything ourselves ... my buddy owns the shop where we got our apes and gives us his cost for everything, plus, anytime we need to swap tires, drop fluids, or bullshit in a fully set up shop we have freedom to do so. Quick answer is, I don't know lol

#30 ·
Kawasaki has the Good Times truck that comes around with most of their new bikes and if you show up with a helmet, jacket and long pants, along with a motorcycle license, you can test ride their bikes with a guided tour. They also issue a discount chit that you can pull out and use like cash AFTER you negotiate your best price with your dealer. Man, this sells a lot of bikes. More importantly it gives the prospective buyer a chance to ride the bike. I bought my Ninja 650 after a test ride. I haven't seen any of the other companies do this. All I've seen is Victory, Star, and a few specialty bike companies come around, but I wish Honda would do this. I would try out many of their bikes. In fact, I am a little suspect of a company that doesn't offer demo rides. It's like they are hiding something. This is why I am NOT going to be ordering a Grom sight unseen. If no demo is available, then pehaps I will never own a Grom. That's how I roll. Hoping for the best doesn't really cut it for me.

#31 ·
Demo rides are fun. I rode a Buell Lightening at the LB Convention years ago. Turns out if you are in the middle of the pack it is really easy to do power wheelies through downtown Long Beach on a Buell. :saint: Also, I got to play on a new YZ250F at a Yamaha ride day at the track. I THOUGHT I wanted one of those until I rode it. Now I KNOW I want one of those.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.