Honda Grom banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got an exhaust for the from and already had a modded air box designed to act as a ram air intake sorta. But now the bike runs too lean of course. I somehow didn't think of needing the piggy back before modifying and putting parts on but now I need one before I melt my engine. Who has one they are wanting to part with? I am in Kentucky at 40356 so if you need to ship. Let me know what y'all got and PM if you have a shipped price to me and we can work out a deal! Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’d look elsewhere. The PCV only tunes above 80% throttle...
What do you suggest? I’m totally open to other options that would be better. Not looking for power gains, not why I bought a grom. Just keep it safe from grenading.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
888 Posts
Look into an ecu flash from CJR or DHM if you will stop at intake, exhaust, and cam. Go Aracer if you think you will ever go further.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look into an ecu flash from CJR or DHM if you will stop at intake, exhaust, and cam. Go Aracer if you think you will ever go further.
No, I will not be going any further, won't even be doing a cam, I am more than happy with the exhaust. I have heard of CJR and DHM before but didn't fully understand what they were. I have looked into it now that you have said something and now have an understanding. However I am wondering, is there an advantage to one of the other for different setups/weather regions, etc? Thanks guys for the advice!

·
Vendor
1,907 Posts
What do you suggest? I’m totally open to other options that would be better. Not looking for power gains, not why I bought a grom. Just keep it safe from grenading.
People will offer different preferences and opinions. Our's is this. Bazzaz. We sell and use more than any shop in the country, and have a huge sample size. They simply work well, are extremely flexible, made in the USA, and back their stuff up with great customer support. We also supply free custom maps to our Bazzaz customers, saving time and money.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
People will offer different preferences and opinions. Our's is this. Bazzaz. We sell and use more than any shop in the country, and have a huge sample size. They simply work well, are extremely flexible, made in the USA, and back their stuff up with great customer support. We also supply free custom maps to our Bazzaz customers, saving time and money.
I am unfamiliar with them so there's another to research into. Are they a piggy back system like the Power Commander or do I send my ECU in like with the others. I am honestly at this point just looking for something simple. Not looking for a custom tune to get every ounce of power out of this thing, I don't care to get any extra power out of it. Honestly would rather have the engine last a lifetime than add any power. I got other bikes for power lol. The one thing that does appeal to me about the DHM at this moment is not having extra wiring running around! If you wanted to send me more details on the bazzaz though and maybe even pricing, send me a PM and we can talk about the options! Thanks

·
Vendor
1,907 Posts
I am unfamiliar with them so there's another to research into. Are they a piggy back system like the Power Commander or do I send my ECU in like with the others. I am honestly at this point just looking for something simple. Not looking for a custom tune to get every ounce of power out of this thing, I don't care to get any extra power out of it. Honestly would rather have the engine last a lifetime than add any power. I got other bikes for power lol. The one thing that does appeal to me about the DHM at this moment is not having extra wiring running around! If you wanted to send me more details on the bazzaz though and maybe even pricing, send me a PM and we can talk about the options! Thanks
It's a piggyback like the PCV. It allows you to adjust on the fly to any changes down the road. It will gain power, while maintaining reliability. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a piggyback like the PCV. It allows you to adjust on the fly to any changes down the road. It will gain power, while maintaining reliability. Those two things aren't mutually exclusive....
You are absolutely right, they are not mutually exclusive, I just like to keep it mentioned as I think many people on this forum will often lose sight of the reliability of these engines due to how cheap they are to replace and just go for the power. So I just like it to be known, power is the last think I am worried about with this search for proper ECU tuning.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So in my searching the past couple of days I came across someone who said to just get a pcx150 injector as it is larger. Keeps it from running as lean. Which is what I am after. Would the bike need a tune still? Or would that solve the problem of being too lean? Even if power isn't optimal, I understand tuning optimizes things. But curious if it would just be an inexpensive quick fix so to keep riding the Grom safely until I decide which route to take?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
888 Posts
Running too rich can actually wash some of the oil off of the cylinder walls and lead to increased wear. Probably safer than too lean but still not the solution I would be seeking if I was looking for reliability.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Running too rich can actually wash some of the oil off of the cylinder walls and lead to increased wear. Probably safer than too lean but still not the solution I would be seeking if I was looking for reliability.
Well crap. I was hoping it would be only slightly bigger of an injector to just slightly richen it up and not over richen it.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
888 Posts
Well crap. I was hoping it would be only slightly bigger of an injector to just slightly richen it up and not over richen it.
It might be fine, but without some way to monitor afr, you are just guessing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It might be fine, but without some way to monitor afr, you are just guessing.
Got it, well I appreciate the help. I guess I will probably the go the DHM route then honestly. It sounds like its one of the most reliable, simple, and cost efficient options for me since I will not be adding anymore to the Grom. Maybe I will just take the exhaust off for now and keep riding with stock, find a cold couple weeks to send my ECU in and then slap it back on there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dude you are going to have to do the research yourself unfortunately. You won't get anywhere here because everybody on this forum has a different opinion on what you should get as far as performance. It really is about cost functionality simplicity of use ect. Some like Aracer some say flash your ecu. Personally I like the PCv with the Wb2. I've always used Power Commander on my toys and loved it. Honestly that's what I know is the Power Commander I couldn't give you the goods or bads on anything else because all I've used is the Power Commander products and been completelysatisfied. Just do some reading in some research and see what works for you.

·
Vendor
1,907 Posts
So in my searching the past couple of days I came across someone who said to just get a pcx150 injector as it is larger. Keeps it from running as lean. Which is what I am after. Would the bike need a tune still? Or would that solve the problem of being too lean? Even if power isn't optimal, I understand tuning optimizes things. But curious if it would just be an inexpensive quick fix so to keep riding the Grom safely until I decide which route to take?
You can't tune a bike by swapping injectors, like you do swapping jets in a two stroke. No matter what injector is used, it will need to be tuned. Honestly, there's no bandaid workaround. I'd tune it correctly, or leave it nearly stock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts