Honda Grom banner

Woodlow's Grom Build

Build: 
16K views 44 replies 14 participants last post by  grommyk 
#1 · (Edited)
I probably should've started this back when I got the Grom and before molesting it... but I didn't, so this will be a bit of catching up.
The goal of my build is not to be the first with everything nor the fastest/lowest/flashiest but to take my time and build it like I would one of my cars.
Here's a picture of the first day I brought it home.

Thanks to FloppyZebra for riding it home for me since I had to wait for that weekend to get my license.

See less See more
#7 ·
I really loved the BBS but they just couldn't be built any wider. They were 17x8.5/9" and now I'm on 18x9.5/10.5" Works. I would trade them in a heartbeat for another set of RS's if I could only find a set that we're build able to that wide specs and weren't already built by someone wanting $4-5k for them.

#9 ·
One of the first mods like everyone else was the airbox, no pictures there. After that and the fender removed I had to do something about the silence...
No gearhead is complete without a loud exhaust. I chose the Tyga Moto Maggot because it sounded nice and deep & had the modern/vintage look I'm considering for the bike.

Rest of the exhaust will come in later after I get over some moving expenses..
As you'll notice the bike was in my house, but we just moved to a nice bigger place with 2 car garage so that's where the new grease monkey activities will take place.

#10 ·
#13 ·
A few weeks later insert the need for more air and boredom.. took apart the airbox again, removed the first hose which was turned around to face forward. Then took a page out of Stoked_GE's build and replaced the throttle body hose with the larger Chrysler radiator hose.
Have you modified the throttle body to make use of the larger diameter hose?
It looks like the throttle body would benefit from having the inlet opened out.

Sent from my HTC One

#12 · (Edited)
About two weeks ago we took FloppyZebra's bike into mi casa for tear down, airbox mod, charcoal canister removal, horn relocation, and then rode to my work to utilize a few other tools for installing his new Renthal handlebars. They are the Mini High bend for reference.

Floppy doing a height comparison before we realized the parking lot was angled..

#20 · (Edited)
So I was tired of the stock foot pegs and didn't want to buy anything until more rear sets came out. I removed the rubber inserts and cut some black foam from work and shaped to fit. They have peel/stick adhesive that keeps 'me in there.

Its not bad, a little more vibration but when racing around I can put my shoe toe in the recess and not drag them.

#31 ·
Last weekend I decided to fabricate my own fairing shroud brace and install a UNI filter on the throttle body.
I used a small section of brass pipe, then filled the ends with JB Weld. Once that hardened I drilled out the ends just enough to use the body panel bolts to thread the ends. By no means perfect, but a start for now before deciding to make a better one or buy the brace MNNTHBX offers.

Intake Sensor nestled between the two layers of filter.
With this I've noticed a little more grunt from the motor and slight increase of throttle response.

#32 ·
So I was bored on Saturday and put the stock 15t sprocket back up front and noticed felt like a new bike. The 16t sprocket was nice for all the commuting, but been wanting to do more and more wheelies. I noticed immediately the acceleration increased, but haven't tested the top speed difference. I would assume if there are guys getting 70-73mph on the 14t and I was getting around 70-71 on my 16t then there shouldn't be much of a difference between them other than how peppy it makes the bike through the gears.

No bike lift yet, so this works... just gotta figure out what to do about the front so I can take the wheels off and get new tires.

#33 ·
WooHoo! got my MNNTHBX bar mount in yesterday and FloppyZebra hooked it up on my new bars that just came in today!

pics of the bars soon as I get home from work and mount them.
Perfect timing before the ruckus/grom meet we're going to tonight in Orlando!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.