Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously thinking about riding the grom thru the winter. Anyone have experience riding in the winter?

I'm planning on buying a heated vest and gloves.

Any tires you guys would recommend for winter riding?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I will be riding the Grom thru the winter.

seriously.

in California.

:icon_thumright:

(surely you hate me... but helps to put your location in your profile!)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'm gonna use my bike in winter conditions (rain, snow,...)! gear up good and warm, make sure your bike has good rubber on it and most of all be very carefull, beeing late is better then sliding with your bike and get it all damaged..!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Im in So Cal so yes I ride year round. I have been all over the country though on a bike and e-vest are the BEST. It is amazing how much warming they keep you.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Do they use salt on the roads in the winter in Boston? If they do, you will need to wash it very frequently or all your steel parts will start to rust. Not worth it to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes we do use salt up here in Boston. Are there any lubricant or spray that will protect these parts from rusting up?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes we do use salt up here in Boston. Are there any lubricant or spray that will protect these parts from rusting up?
A friend of mine rode his Ruckus all winter and fed his carburetor and throttle cable, not to mention nearly every nut and bolt, to the rust. I personally rode one or two times late into December and my header started to rust immediately. If it were me, and I wanted to ride all winter, I would buy a beater that I didn't care about, not my lovely new Grom.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been considering it:..especially where ill only be rideing a month or so before cold and snow. I think at best ill be out really well waxed on days were its pretty clean and dry. Washing it when I get home. Probably won't be out in a snow storm but I'd be surprised if after only a couple months on it Ill be able to leave it In the shed all winter

·
Registered
177 Posts
If your roads are salted in the winter I heavily advise against it.

I rode the TW200 I own through part of one winter (into the end of December) and even with a month of salt, it was enough to start the rusting process. Motorcycles, unlike cars, do not have nearly the same amount of anti-corrosion treatments.

I also only washed it once, because I stored it outside. You can't wash a bike in the winter unless it's going to be above freezing all day, or various important things freeze solid... like ignition switches, gas tank caps, throttle tubes... ;-)

I suppose if you had a heated garage it could be cleaned every ride.... but if you have a heated garage, why don't you have a car for the winter months?

I usually ride into the end of November, then dust the bikes off at the end of March. That's our season. It's also when they start and stop salting the roads, for the most part.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My main purpose of getting a Grom (MX125 here) will be to have a dedicated winter-bike. I'm riding a Yamaha Bolt during summer, and needed something small, light and fun to ride when snow arrives.

I've followed some forums here in Norway where some people write about their experiences from winter-riding, and what to make sure to do before and during. The roads here are salted, so that will be an issue, but I hope to fight that off with preparing the bike with anti-corrosive treatments, and try to "wrap" some parts with plastic tubes, plasti-dip and other stuff.

Won't get it until next year so I cannot really contribute with experience before next winter/spring ;)

Edit:
I forgot this:
I'll install heated grips, hand-windshields and studless winter tyres.

·
Registered
311 Posts
A small windscreen would be nice.

I ride to work all winter about 7 miles away.

No electrics. Just windproof clothing and a sweater.

Temps around 30 in the morning and 45 in the afternoon.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Def not riding with any salt/snow on the roads.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I lived in the mountains and used to ride winter with temps down to single digits sometimes. Never in snow or ice if I could help it.

1. Unless you have snow tires, don't expect the tires to ever get enough heat in them to grip at these temps
2. Layers, layers, layers. I didn't have money for fancy electric accessories but a good base layer with several on top do the trick. I looked like the Stay-Puft marshmallow man. Invest in a good balaclava.
3. Make sure your battery is good. The only thing worse than freezing your ass off while riding is being stuck somewhere freezing your ass off.

Good luck and be careful!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Got an offer from the deler now for the MSX 125 with studless wintertyres and hand-windshields/guards. Will testride it tomorow nd decide if I am getting it or not :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts