Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Ruckus this year and I'm pretty sure if I knew the Grom was coming out sooner I would have just waited for the Grom. Does anyone think the ruckus will be passed up for the Grom by future buyers?

·
Registered
677 Posts
eh. most likely not. i think the ruck still has its place... but i do think the sales of rucks will go down for sure.

too many people like the "twist and go" concept.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm still convinced that Grom will sell more units, more aftermarket, and bigger following than Ruckus (and the Ruckus following is/was HUGE IMO)... but there will still be a market for Ruckus, just like there is still a market for old 70s Mini Trails.

·
Registered
475 Posts
No. I don't think so. Many have come and gone in the Ruckus scene, the true Ruckus heads have also moved along to the Zuma and other rides. But the look and customization for the Ruckus is too much fun for people not to tinker with FOREVER!! I know the Grom will most likely have a more broader basis, but the Ruckus just simply can't be replaced.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
I think the price spike in the recent years is what will kill the Ruckus

This. When I went to make my deposit on the Grom I saw the price of the new Ruck and my jaw literally hit the floor. Almost a grand more than what I paid for mine in '08.

·
Registered
942 Posts
i was never a big fan of the ruck, i heard about it seen pics of it all modded an it still didn't float my boat. one look at the grom an i was immediately hooked. manual clutch, inverted forks, disc brakes that are hydralic, to me blows away the ruckus. not positive on whether the ruck had hydraulic brakes but either way, once seeing the grom i was fully interested where as ruck it was like oh, cool moped that needs insurance.

·
Registered
150 Posts
GROM is a mini motorcycle.
RUCKUS is a mini scooter.

Took years for the RUCKUS to GET respect from the Motorcycle world.

Think the GROM will be the same... Maybe even MORE HATers from the Moto world.
You can't ride it on the Freeways!
You Paid How Much??? I rather Blah Blah Blah
Aren't you Too Big for that Toy?
When are you going to GET a REAL Motorcycle?

Is going to be some of the Fuel for HATe that will be coming with this NEW GROM.
Think Ruckus has earned it's rep... it's here to stay!

-Honest™

·
Registered
475 Posts

Is going to be some of the Fuel for HATe that will be coming with this NEW GROM.

-Honest™
Thus spoke Honest Mike :wink:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I think you have a good point. But I feel like Honda is really laying the stepping stones for something big here by bringing this to the states. I think the Grom will be a huge hit and be the leader for many other bike like it to come from other manufacturers.

It will take a little while for people to realize it, but I can see kaw and KTM bringing the ksr and duke 125 over after seeing the grom succeed.

After driving many of sport bikes 600cc to a 1200cc I realize that its just too much bike for the average driver especially with people that don't hit the highway on a commute to work. In my opinion it takes balls to buy a scooter to drive around but this will make it easier to purchase a lower cc vehicle to ride where sport bikes and huge cruisers are just way over kill. I see people everyday on huge bikes and I can see that there not utilizing the bike anywhere close to what its made for. Especially in a city environment or beach community like I have in NJ.

I hope the Grom kills it and I look forward to seeing the future of lower cc and higher MPG rides.

·
Registered
942 Posts

-Honest™
i don't think the grom will have much haters, based on looking at the thread of what other bikes you owned. grom getting love from scooter, moped, superbike, harley, sport, standard, enduro, supermoto enthusiasts. idk thats just my opinion, to each their own.

·
Registered
150 Posts
HATe is GREAT in SoCal... so that is what I'm speaking from.
I even had some friend (No Names Mentioned) GET pissed about the GROM
One even told me FUCK THAT THING Blah Blah Blah... I was shocked!!!
Here We had the Prototype in our presents & the dudeS got all crazy?
Hardcore Ruckus Peeps too... Still trying to figure that one out?

-Honest™

·
Registered
677 Posts
i hope HONDA doesnt kill it by bringing in 100 bikes to start.... hope the waiting list isnt long, and hope they come early august or late july... having the itch with riding season going strong, it isnt good to be waiting on a bike

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree with what Honest Mike and others have been saying. The Grom won't be the death of the ruckus, but I can see it hurting sales of the ruckus. It really is another option for those who want to do a different style of riding. In my personal experience, I started out with scooters, went to big bikes, back to scooters, and now mini bikes. I prefer the mini bikes over scooters just because I can shift and feel that the riding experience is more visceral and the bikes are typically more rare to own. I'm still surprise that the Honda Monkey scene never really took off when the Chinese clones came to So. California. The scene is so big in Europe, Asia, Japan, and Australia. I just hope that the Grom will be here for more than a few years, so I can get a used one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
one is a scooter one is a motorcycle....governing rules in different state on what requires a license/registration/etc.

Ruckus will be around...not everyone wants to shift gears

·
Registered
257 Posts
one is a scooter one is a motorcycle....governing rules in different state on what requires a license/registration/etc.

Well said, I think they can both exist together well. I have had a Ruckus before and would have still purchased it if the Grom existed then because my son rode it also and he was all about the twist and go of the scoots. My wife and I are licensed motorcycle riders and prefer bikes most of the time... we did take out the Ruckus and Met several times together rather than the motorcycles when we had them. I like the built in storage of scooters and the twist and go is really fun sometimes.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Wish that was the case in the Republic of New Jersey. In this ridiculous state, anything that doesn't have pedals, no matter the cc is considered a motorcycle and titled that way. So no matter what we have to have motorcycle endorsements even for a little 49cc Chinese scooter =(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts