Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a couple other bikes in the garage, but have been eyeing the monkey for a bit. Finally pulled the trigger for two main reasons: goofing off around town with a smile on my face, racking it on the back of my Jeep to take up into the mountains while camping. No complaints so far, just lots of fun and lots of looks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello all,

I've just joined the forum. I'm 53, been riding motorcycles since I was 16 and am based in the UK. I've just bought a banana yellow monkey...........it is sitting in the garage with zero miles, waiting for some better weather. I have probably owned 130+ bikes over the years ranging from 50cc monkeys and Suzukis to 1300cc Yamahas and more recently triumphs. I have reached a point that I find a lot of the current offerings a bit boring and repetitive, and have built/modified a couple of bikes over the last few years. I saw the monkey and decided that I had to have one. I am also hoping that Honda UK bring the CT125 to the UK..............I am desperate to get my hands on one. My only other bike now is a Bonneville 865. Thanks for reading.

Rob, which I'm currently modifying.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the original Monkey as a kid. I rode that thing everywhere and every season. When I saw the new ones in the original yellow color, it brought back so many great memories. I sat on the fence about it, but finally bought a '19 yellow one after selling my Super Tenere. The big bike wasn't getting ridden as much and the distance thing was losing it's luster. I'm looking forward to just bombing around town on this thing. The grandkids will get it when I'm too old.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’d been looking at the Grom for a while. Then, I saw the monkey and liked the retro look. However, I am a new rider and I’m wondering if I should spend 4500 on a Monkey or buy something a little bigger. There seems to be a lot of turnover with groms. I have just seen a monkey for sale with about a hundred miles on it. Do people primarily use these as training bikes, then move up? Why did you buy a Monkey and how/where do you use or intend to use it?
Is it your only motorcycle?
i have spine problems. cervical and lumbar. the seat and suspension are perfect for me. i need pegs to stand up when ii need to so scooter was out. i really only have one designated parking space, the bike is so small i can park it anywhere. i even have it parked under the eave behind my apartment covered for the winter. its very light and easy for me to maneuver, a cumbersome big bike isnt something i can really deal with. i love hondas! my last 3 cars have been hondas, and this bike is very honda! all the hoses, wires, hangers, parts are all nice quality. there isnt another bike for me! i dont think i would have a bike at all if it werent for this one!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm 57 years old. I didn't own a motorcycle until about age 45. My dad wouldn't let me get a bike as a kid, so since then I've made up for it. I've owned lots of small bore Hondas. It all started with a motorized bicycle. I have owned a Hobbit, an S90, a C110, a CL125, a CL70 and others. I currently own a single Monkey.
Since I'm not super mechanical, that finally drove my decision to buy a 2019 monkey. It has the cool factor and nostalgia of the old bikes, but the reliability I need.
I did the fender delete, mirror extenders, seat bolt replace and intake mod (Which I believe make the bike look way cleaner) I'm considering the Takegawa exhaust mod, I believe it's called the SP. It looks just like the original, which I like-but has a cooler sound. I am hesitant to do that mod because I don't want to run the bike too lean, or mess with how well it runs now.
Bottom line, I love the Monkey.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I needed a bike that I could throw in the back of a VW Vanagon and use it for when I drop off the van for service and need to ride home. I bought a Ruckus to do the job, but with a 35mph max speed, I had to take side streets to avoid being run over. Looked at a Grom at a dealer and noticed a Monkey on a brochure. Super cool retro look. Waited 2 months to get one in blue (not liking the red/yellow bikes). The blue stands out and people come out of nowhere to ask about it. Some think I restored a vintage one.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Installed my Bazzzaz controller and got a check engine light the next day. Now to learn what code it threw up and how to clear it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Installed my Bazzzaz controller and got a check engine light the next day. Now to learn what code it threw up and how to clear it.
Chances are it’s the O2 sensor warning. I see it go off if I’ve got WOT downhill and trying to keep the bike going as fast as possible. The ECU seems to get confused since the O2 sensor is (if I remember) always high (or is it low, I can’t remember how it’s wired) now. The ECU reset is easy as long as you have a paper clip.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i was looking for a small bike anyway, came time to visit a honda dealer when i ran into the Monkey. love the retro look, the grom felt like i was sitting to far forward. even considered to super cub briefly , though i can tell you if the Hunter Cub was available in the us market that might of been my choice. I have a small garage and wanted something i can easily move around and a 500lb bike doesnt fit that bill at all. ease of living with is overall the reason for the monkey, i dont plan on highway driving and 45 to 50 will get me anywhere i hope to go with this bike. its a lot of fun to ride. might even be decent off road a bit when i upgrade the shocks, thats the huge miss on the monkey, shocks and forks, so a extra expense for heavier people and this bike. anyway im new to the Monkey 40 miles as of this post, new to the forum, so hello all from Illinois. so far loving my Monkey, and its Blue so let those jokes fly lol. already got that from my cousin with his Grape ape eliminator with twin sc big blocks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live in the Sierra Nevada mountains where dual sports and adventure bikes are popular. I bought a monkey for trips to town, 35 miles round, and to manhandle and bounce around on fire roads. I'm getting back into motorbikes after a 10-year break and think riding Monkey will help me decide on a bigger/specialized bike for next year. Or I just thrash the Monkey again, maybe with knobby tires in 2021.

·
Registered
6 Posts
And to add... I chose the Monkey because it will fit in my pickup bed with the tailgate up while towing my travel trailer. It's a big deal to me to leave the truck on-site and roll around beach towns on two wheels. Grom/Z125 fit as well. But the Monkey is so classic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
BD49B86E-ACD0-4AE9-AC6C-800140D09F46.jpeg Bought a Monkey because I have a crazy philosophy about life. I get one spin at this. I’m going to enjoy every day I’m here. This is my fifth bike in the garage. It’s just a stupid silly bike. I knew once I took it for a test ride I wasn’t leaving without it. It brings me joy. We spent the last few weeks modding it (not done) but I still smile at it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought a 2020 ABS Monkey for my daughter and enjoyed the first 100 miles so much I just found a 2019 banana in an Ohio crate and bought it for my self. :0

·
Registered
65 Posts
I’d been looking at the Grom for a while. Then, I saw the monkey and liked the retro look. However, I am a new rider and I’m wondering if I should spend 4500 on a Monkey or buy something a little bigger. There seems to be a lot of turnover with groms. I have just seen a monkey for sale with about a hundred miles on it. Do people primarily use these as training bikes, then move up? Why did you buy a Monkey and how/where do you use or intend to use it?
Is it your only motorcycle?
i bought my grom/ruckus/monkey/spree/elite S because stock, it they ALMOST keep up on 45mph MAX roads in town here, and i will never need them for traveling /groceries / long distance. And to fully modify the bikes, is only 5000$. (And the bike will easily do 45mph then haha) Ive spent over $10,000 on just my cars suspension alone. Over 200,000$ spent in modifying cars. To me the little bikes are way more FUN to ride than a car, its wayy easier than riding an R1 or r6, i could have 50 bikes instead of 2 cars. and i alwayssssss go back to the basics. I fit my helmet to my bike. I dont like my AGV k6 carbon fiber helmet because its meant to go fast, designed for speed. Doesnt breathe going 40mph in town, and i wouldnt trust my ls2 as its too heavy for the r1. But the LS2 helmet with dual visors and adjustable XL vents, works great under 100mph. It will never be my first bike, or last, same with the helmet. But also, i would never recommend it to someone for their first bike. People say its a great beginner bike etc. it is easy to learn on because its small and light... but a lot of "professionals" these days, are taught wrong. the monkey/grom teaches you that you can be rough on a bike, hop on a r6 or r1 straight off a monkey/grom first bike, you might not fully realize the power behind the throttle and flip/lay it down. They say over 50% of motorcycle accidents are lack of driver skills.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts