Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most of us waiting for our Groms to arrive I have been pouring over pictures of the bikes. For some reason my eye is always drawn to this ugly feature. What the hell is this supposed to be, Iron Man's Helmet? :protest:

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Red

Mine will get carbon fiber, or paint, or be covered up somehow. Yuk. Though I'm sure it will not deter me from sleeping with the bike, though.....:wink-new:

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Well..... on the other side the center of it is for the key to unlock the seat. I'm thinking they over styled the key hole and then carried it over to the right side of the bike. I think if they were painted to match the body color you might not even notice them.

·
Registered
677 Posts
idk man. i cant believe honda would even design something like that. i mean, what were they thinking???? my interest in the bike just dropped another 20 points. now im for SURE not going to get one. but, i will return to the forum and attemt to make each post as negative as i can because its the internet and thats what we do.

:wink:

·
Registered
257 Posts
This is now one of my favorite threads! LOL.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using HondaGrom.net mobile app

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeh, looking at the side I'm going to have to paint those and then either eliminate the rear pegs with some different rear sets or at least paint em black.

·
Registered
173 Posts
In all seriousness, I'm thinking of going murdered out with a gold chain and possibly paint that gold as well. I think that would flow well.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Before you murder-out your bike, please hear me out and think about this carefully before you shoot me down. My opinion comes from many years of observation at bike shows and where it counts the most - on the streets. I also published this same theory in an Op-Ed on Planet minis years ago.

The world has far too many black motorcycles.

My philosophy on color is that the less sheet metal (or plastic side covers) a vehicle has, the brighter the color should be. Lets say you have 10 completely different makes and models of bikes, all customized differently, but they are all murdered-out. If you park them next to each other you cant really tell them apart from across the street, regardless of how differently customized they all are. But, park a yellow one in there somewhere and that is the bike people will notice and maybe even be able to identify unique details at a glance. A small vehicle with color allows you to see the distinct lines of the vehicle. Not true if it's completely murdered. When talking about clothing, people say black is a "slimming" color. Know why? Because black actually "hides" your lumpy parts. Its cammo for fatties.

Black just does not work well on small vehicles. I don't expect a lot of people to agree with this but think about a full grown dude flying by you on a murdered-out Grom - you'd be like "was that a Grom, or some chinese scooter?". Now picture same dude flying by on a yellow Grom, or even one with ridiculous amounts of billet bling, anything but all black - I think you'd be able to tell its a Grom at a glance and maybe even see some of the detail as he flies by.

Okay. End of rant. Bring the hate.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was planning on buying a chrome gold helmet to try to offset that. I know it stupid to have a black bike, but I'm 22 so I'm still in that indestructible phase. Your advice is not unheard or unappreciated, I'm just stubborn.

As well as, gold rims, chain, brake levers, helemt, and forks. Whatever else I look at and decide to chrome gold. I think it'll end up an eye sore on the road, haha.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I like the look of wood.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 52 Posts