Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am. I want to get my grom ride it and figure out what needs to be changed. Please someone from the UK post a service manual!

Argh,
I went to the other forum, geeze, I know, it's awful, but I had to enter the sweepstakes. Do I have to see the same regurgitated info on both sites? I'd be ok if I had a darned service manual to study!

Lets talk about facts rather than assumptions.

Thank goodness I have a track weekend coming up!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Service manual would be nice. Just keep in mind, each day we get a little closer to the Grom. A little closer to death too, but closer to the Grom. :cool2:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The other forum has a better girls and grom page made by a guy that thinks all Asians look 14. Really cool, not..,,

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Well also a link to the UK micro fiche would be HUGE!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Exactly. Probably it will be just fine and live up to expectations, but it would be nice to know the maintenance schedule, especially when the valve adjustment is recommended cause that's always expensive. I've seen the few videos out, but unfortunately it is hard to tell how tall the riders are. That's certainly a consideration. I am most curious about the take off acceleration and torque 0-60 mph is probably not so great if the bike only does about 63 mph, but I would at least want a fast, tire-spinning take off. Apparently there is enough power to do a wheelie but some people can do wheelies on bicycles so it's hard to tell. Amazingly nobody from Asia has posted comments talking about the pros and cons of the MSX 125 either at least not in English. This forum will probably have the first user reviews. Personally, I would want to hear from someone who has been riding a while and what they think about it. I wonder why Honda didn't let someone from Motorcycle news, Rideapart, etc. use a couple bikes and put out the first reviews? That's what happened with the Honda 500s and the Ninja 300. Those reviews were generally positive and probably sold a bunch of bikes too. Comeon Honda...get with the program. Let's see some 3rd party videos and reviews of the Grom.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
The owner's manual is on line and I believe on this site in a sticky. It will tell you the valve adjustment intervals which IIRC are at 2,500 miles. I will do them myself as all the other maint. It is a pretty simple engine to work on. 125 is not going to do tire spinning take offs. I have enough time riding other Honda 70s 80s 100s and 150s. I am confident I will like the 125 without a test ride.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Exactly. Probably it will be just fine and live up to expectations, but it would be nice to know the maintenance schedule, especially when the valve adjustment is recommended cause that's always expensive. I've seen the few videos out, but unfortunately it is hard to tell how tall the riders are. That's certainly a consideration. I am most curious about the take off acceleration and torque 0-60 mph is probably not so great if the bike only does about 63 mph, but I would at least want a fast, tire-spinning take off. Apparently there is enough power to do a wheelie but some people can do wheelies on bicycles so it's hard to tell. Amazingly nobody from Asia has posted comments talking about the pros and cons of the MSX 125 either at least not in English. This forum will probably have the first user reviews. Personally, I would want to hear from someone who has been riding a while and what they think about it. I wonder why Honda didn't let someone from Motorcycle news, Rideapart, etc. use a couple bikes and put out the first reviews? That's what happened with the Honda 500s and the Ninja 300. Those reviews were generally positive and probably sold a bunch of bikes too. Comeon Honda...get with the program. Let's see some 3rd party videos and reviews of the Grom.
The maintenance schedule info is already available in the owners manual posted on here. Valve inpsections on the Grom will be super cheap even if you take it into your local dealer. The main cost and why people think it costs a lot is because normally you have a lot of complicated fairings etc to remove that eat up the labor costs real quick. The Grom will be similar to dirt bikes etc and will probably call for an 1/2 to 1 hr and even on the high side at 1 1/2 hrs you'd only be talking about $100. The bike info hasn't been released long enough for the motorcycle mags to pump out a ride review after getting their hands on one. As long as Honda doesn't delay the press events I'd say we'll still see plenty of articles before the bikes are released.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I could go into a long explanation of why you never see a really negative report of a bike from the big four. Think about it. If a mag or web site said a bike was shite do you think that manufacturer would give more test bikes to them, I think not. So we have mostly positive reviews. In the case of the Grom I'm expecting fun at a reduced pace and I'm sure I'll get it. I used to bleed Honda red when I worked at AHM but now that I pay for the bikes I ride I can make up my own mind. I'm not knocking Honda, all six that I have owned have been stellar. The Grom is the first Honda I've lusted after in years, when Honda makes a product it's good to go. I am amazed at my eu2000, that thing keeps running, even though it has no wheels.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
The owner's manual is on line and I believe on this site in a sticky. It will tell you the valve adjustment intervals which IIRC are at 2,500 miles. I will do them myself as all the other maint. It is a pretty simple engine to work on. 125 is not going to do tire spinning take offs. I have enough time riding other Honda 70s 80s 100s and 150s. I am confident I will like the 125 without a test ride.
Boooo, ya beat me to it haha.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Boooo, ya beat me to it haha.
I still have my special tool for adjusting valves on my Honda hurricane. I bet it'll work on the Grom. Valve adjustment is the least of my concerns. I want to see a detailed fork explanation from the manual. I'll say it again someone from the uk please post a manual, thanks!!

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I could go into a long explanation of why you never see a really negative report of a bike from the big four. Think about it. If a mag or web site said a bike was shite do you think that manufacturer would give more test bikes to them, I think not. So we have mostly positive reviews. In the case of the Grom I'm expecting fun at a reduced pace and I'm sure I'll get it. I used to bleed Honda red when I worked at AHM but now that I pay for the bikes I ride I can make up my own mind. I'm not knocking Honda, all six that I have owned have been stellar. The Grom is the first Honda I've lusted after in years, when Honda makes a product it's good to go. I am amazed at my eu2000, that thing keeps running, even though it has no wheels.

I hear ya man. This is the first bike I have HAD to have in a loooong time, well since 07 when they reworked the CBR600RR. The economy really took its toll on all of the companies and making units that made us all ooooo and ahhhhh. Gotta give major props to Honda with pumping so much $$ into the market right now with so many new models when a lot are still waiting it out to see what the economy is going to do.

Lol yeah those EU generators are unreal. Sold them for many years now but I had a new found respect after we had no power for a week when all the tornado action hit our area. I borrowed an EU2000i and couldn't believe what all I was able to run, Honda is very conservative on their #'s. Between the EU2000i & EU3000i we can't keep enough on the shelves.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Froggie, I also worked in a dealer for a while, the Honda product sells and generally for more. You gotta love that when you are making a living selling bikes and generators to pay the bills.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you've never seen a motorcycle slammed in reviews you need to read between the lines. They use bullshit words and phrases to skirt around what the can live with and what they actually detest.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This forum will probably have the first user reviews. Personally, I would want to hear from someone who has been riding a while and what they think about it. QUOTE]I would be happy to write a review. I am not too much on videos though. I have ridden motorcycles for 34 years. I have road raced them for 14 years. I have raced a few flattrack races. I have ridden my 250/450 on MX tracks. I own a motorycle performance shop, built engines, chassis, bikes, etc for years. I also plan to take this Grom to Fast Bike Industries so he can take apart the suspension internals and see what can be built for this thing. My Grom will be ridden on the street and the track. I will be doing a big bore but am in no rush for that.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
This forum will probably have the first user reviews. Personally, I would want to hear from someone who has been riding a while and what they think about it. QUOTE]I would be happy to write a review. I am not too much on videos though. I have ridden motorcycles for 34 years. I have road raced them for 14 years. I have raced a few flattrack races. I have ridden my 250/450 on MX tracks. I own a motorycle performance shop, built engines, chassis, bikes, etc for years. I also plan to take this Grom to Fast Bike Industries so he can take apart the suspension internals and see what can be built for this thing. My Grom will be ridden on the street and the track. I will be doing a big bore but am in no rush for that.
I think this is going to be key for a lot of folks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts