Honda Grom banner

Whorides Monkey

4K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  stellio78 
#1 · (Edited)
I have wanted a Monkey since they were announced. Went to the local dealer for parts for one of the kids crf50s on a Friday. Returned Monday to take advantage of Honda 0% financing for 36 months. They had blue and red. I have always liked Honda red so I took home a red non abs model. So far I have done a few free mods. Removed decals, homebrew fender eliminator and rear shock preload spacers. I’m gonna need to do something with the front now. Probably go with race tech springs. Also added Barnet clutch springs and KOSO clutch plate and a 14t front sprocket. So far I have orderEd a MNNTHBX chimera intake, kitaco type I cam and Takegawa full exhaust.
I prefer low end grunt to high rpm ponies. I can’t decide if I want to go BBK or just port the head and fill in quench space in the head on stock bore. Obviously ecm flash will be in my future. But I will wait till all parts are in hand then I will pull the head off and send out the ecm. Obligatory monkey pics:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven’t seen much information on utilizing stock rear shocks, so I will explain what I did. Stole a cutting board from my wife. 2.125” hole saw then 1.25” hole saw. ID was just a hair off and had to use a barrel sander to clearance spacers to shock body. Compressed springs on the bike one at a time. Used large zip ties to hold the springs. Four per spring did the trick. I haven’t ridden it since the preload spacers. Race sag was reduced by at least 50%. I will report back after I ride it.

#3 ·
You should consider a DHM hi-comp piston when you get your head ported.

#4 ·
I got to ride the Monkey yesterday. The shock preload spacers off-road seems to make the bike get better grip with less wheel hop in small braking bumps. On the road the rear feels more planted in the corners. I need to figure out what I’m doing to the front as it feels sort of out of balance. All and all I think the DIY spacers were a worthwhile endeavor.

#6 ·
Getting a Koso 170cc bore kit proved to be a pain in the neck. Four different orders and two weeks later I got it. Piston and cylinder are installed. Hopefully I have time tomorrow to pick up the head from the machine shop. Valve seats are being cut to 3 angle and having the deck shaved a little. I did the porting work with oversight from a long time porter. I figure I should learn what I can from someone that knows what they are doing with port flow. Matched the port, intake manifold, spacer and TB to each other. Exhaust port matched to header.

#8 ·
I have about 70 miles on the Koso 170cc, now. I’m really happy with the performance so far. I built this for bottom end torque with the type 1 cam and Takegawa exhaust. I live in California coastal mountains, so I wont’t be riding freeways with the Monkey. Sound level is very tolerable, Mtake definitely makes some noise, but nothing obnoxious, still flies under the radar. No need to draw attention.
Next up is some temp gauges and Ohlins cartridges for the front end.

#9 ·
nice writeup and review, I notice what looks like a Baja bug in the back ground. I had one of the first Baja bug ever built in Northern Calif back in the early 1970's when I was station on Treasure Island Calif going to Electronic School in the Navy and being shore station their for 4 years before going to a ship for 2 years. My Baja bug was a 1966 vw that was 6v, 1300cc and I converted everything over to 12v system, except I still used the 6v starter. The engine was taken a part and crank was line bored and 1600 jugs was used, I built a external oil cooler system and oil filter system and used Cardron's duel carb setup, the cam was grounded to a S90 Porsche spec, smaller crank pulley with dial indicator on it, had Pennys Baja rear tires. That bug took many trips to Santa Cruz where I surfed and also half moon bay and Mavricks before it was a famous surfing spot and also a lot of trips to Tahoe for skiing. Sold it to my friend in Marine County and he sold it to a kid there. I still remember my Calif lic plate. CVR-174. Anyway ride safe on your monkey bike.

#10 ·
The Baja bug is a kick in the pants, my kids love riding in it. Setting up my winter project for it in the coming months. Replacing the 1776 I built for it with a Subaru 2.5L engine. Got the harness sliced and diced down, ready to graft into the bug. Cooling and fuel systems are all I have left to source and prepare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.