Honda Grom banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have wanted a Monkey since they were announced. Went to the local dealer for parts for one of the kids crf50s on a Friday. Returned Monday to take advantage of Honda 0% financing for 36 months. They had blue and red. I have always liked Honda red so I took home a red non abs model. So far I have done a few free mods. Removed decals, homebrew fender eliminator and rear shock preload spacers. I’m gonna need to do something with the front now. Probably go with race tech springs. Also added Barnet clutch springs and KOSO clutch plate and a 14t front sprocket. So far I have orderEd a MNNTHBX chimera intake, kitaco type I cam and Takegawa full exhaust.
I prefer low end grunt to high rpm ponies. I can’t decide if I want to go BBK or just port the head and fill in quench space in the head on stock bore. Obviously ecm flash will be in my future. But I will wait till all parts are in hand then I will pull the head off and send out the ecm. Obligatory monkey pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I haven’t seen much information on utilizing stock rear shocks, so I will explain what I did. Stole a cutting board from my wife. 2.125” hole saw then 1.25” hole saw. ID was just a hair off and had to use a barrel sander to clearance spacers to shock body. Compressed springs on the bike one at a time. Used large zip ties to hold the springs. Four per spring did the trick. I haven’t ridden it since the preload spacers. Race sag was reduced by at least 50%. I will report back after I ride it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
You should consider a DHM hi-comp piston when you get your head ported.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got to ride the Monkey yesterday. The shock preload spacers off-road seems to make the bike get better grip with less wheel hop in small braking bumps. On the road the rear feels more planted in the corners. I need to figure out what I’m doing to the front as it feels sort of out of balance. All and all I think the DIY spacers were a worthwhile endeavor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got received the Takegawa exhaust, M-take and Kitaco cam so it was time To pull the top end off. ECU is boxed up ready to ship to CJR. Porting the head tomorrow at work. Can’t wait to get it back together already.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts