Honda Grom banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As fun as the damn thing would be on the road-- I'm primarily interested in the Grom as a road racer. We have a series here in Ohio that runs on local kart tracks. It's all the fun of racing big bikes, but half the expense, and a fraction of the risk and seriousness. It's a just for fun series. My problem is that I'm addicted to building, riding, and racing cool mini bikes! They should have a support group for guys like me! hahaha!

Who else is planning to do the same thing with their Groms? Anybody? What mods are you planning on? I'd like to bring one to the track to see if there is any interest from the other club members. I don't want to dump too much cash into the bike aside from the purchase price, so it would be sweet tf it could race competitively in nearly stock form in some class, or even a spec class.

I'm thinking tires, bars, rearsets, shock, rear seat cowl, and some sort of front numberplate to replace the headlight. I don't want to do a big bore, but an exhuast may be in order to shed some weight. I don't want to get into the bling end of it so much. --L*64

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Im hoping at some point to ride mine on a track. I am way past my racing days in that I am not willing to push to that last little limit and risk injury for a trophy. But I would love to ride it at a fun pace on the track.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
That's my plan. I tired of burr inning up a 200 dollar rear tire every weekend on my gsxr1. Entry fees for mini Gp races are also much lower.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'll be doing tracks for sure ... I think a lot of the stuff you mentioned (besides the tires) sound like bling to me ... uncrate 'er, fill 'er up, and track the thing IMO

·
Registered
173 Posts
Anyone close to the southern NJ area, check out New Jersey Motorsports park. They do all sorts of fun minibike racing through some program, can't remember the name. They even do scooter racing! It's a blast to watch. Don't think I'll ever try it out though. They even rent out little NSR's so you can compete with their stuff.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm using one for street and one for track. Down here we have 4 tracks that run mini gp and supermotos on their cart tracks. I've raced ysr's and aprilia rs' in the past. I'm anxious to see the grom's potential. Should be perfect for the cart tracks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Naw-- what I mean by bling is mods that are strictly for aesthetics. If you don't run the seat cowl, and some kind of front numberplate-- you'd have nowhere to put your numbers on this bike. The rearsets are likely necessary so you don't drag the stock pegs in the turns.

The stock rear shock looks really cheap. That'd likely fade two laps into the race. Don't forget that kart tracks are actually more challenging than big tracks in that you rarely get a break in the action. No room to rest. The suspension gets the same workout. An emulsification shock (a shock w/o a res where the nitrogen mixes with the dampibg oil) wouldn't have enough rest to allow the nitrogen to seperate from the oil. The aftermarket shocks I've seen look like they hold alot more oil which would help to prevent fade. ---L*64

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I'm fully investing in good suspension, once the forks get figured out. Go fast goodies for my grom.

Ive got to ride it first. It could be good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts