Honda Grom banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help me install my BBK.

I have had the SRD BBK sitting in my garage for 3 weeks. The SRD head coming in tomorrow!!!!

Can anyone help me out to get my BBK installed? If you need money for your time, let me know!

PM me!!!

·
Registered
684 Posts
So are you going to be using your Yosh cam? or the one that comes with the P/P head?

·
Registered
684 Posts
I thought it cam with the DCR cam, I could be wrong. But you will enjoy that kit so much! I just have the stock head and cam, but low and mid power is unreal, 4th is so much usable now. Top ends better, but with stock head you can tell it runs out of steam.

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
If you sent your OEM head to Brian for exchange then it comes with P/P head, bigger valves, duel valve spring , head gasket, bored plastic spacer, plugged 02 sensor hole, two caps for top of your valve stem, spacer for your cam chain tensioner and that is it.

You buy the Crower cam separate unless if you paid more than $299 than the cam will come with it if you added about $131 plus your stock OEM cam for exchange.

Before starting your tear down and you are not sure where each nut bolt you remove goes, get some zip lock bags and pen and label each bag with where you remove the part from and that way your nut/bolt goes back to it's original place and that is what I did.

The only major concern when putting back your parts is that the copper washer for the head goes to the bottom right side of the engine head

The biggest part about the install is to check the ring gap is with in spec and if not you can take your rings to a motorcycle shop or automotive shop and have the gap grounded down to spec "need a special tool for that"

Second thing to make sure that your gap clocking on the piston is followed via the diagram that was sent with the piston.

Third I believe the arrow on the piston should point down towards the exhaust port.

Fourth you can make your own compression ring tool by using a plastic from a qt size soda bottle or any bottle and some heavy duty rubber band

When installing the piston/cylinder onto the connecting rod make sure you put clean rags around the rod as to stop dirt or maybe the clip from falling into the engine if the wrist pin clip some how snaps off when you are trying to lock the piston onto the rod.

Use engine oil and lube the wrist pin and areas around the pistion, head that will get engine oil.

Check and recheck your torque on the heads, check your cam chain tensioner nut/unit on the cylinder, check and reject that the timing mark on the cam and the fly wheel are lined up correctly.

adjust valve tappet clearance

Make sure to add oil of your choice

Finial check up is to remove the spark plug and turn over the engine a couple of times to make sure all parts are moving correctly and no strange noise can be heard.

After you have gone thru all of that START YOUR ENGINE, make sure your right side body plastic is off because you might have to adj the idle screw. That's it

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was debating if i even need the 170 kit, bc i'm very happy with how it runs now. 1st- 3rd gears are awesome. 4th is just slow.

But after reading more on this board i went ahead and bought the head. My only problem now is finding someone to help me install it with out charging me "Grom a tax" for it's installation.

I could attempt to do it myself but i really don't want to post in a few months a thread of " i blew up my engine!"

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
i was debating if i even need the 170 kit, bc i'm very happy with how it runs now. 1st- 3rd gears are awesome. 4th is just slow.

But after reading more on this board i went ahead and bought the head. My only problem now is finding someone to help me install it with out charging me "Grom a tax" for it's installation.

I could attempt to do it myself but i really don't want to post in a few months a thread of " i blew up my engine!"
Just make sure you take your time, have a clean floor to work on just in case you drop tools and parts,"I use a cardboard box under my Grom so I can keep my drive way oil free and I can see any parts that fell.

make sure you have good tools and a good torque wrench.

If I can do it you can and I come from the IT world working on computers, network and such all day long and the only reason I did it myself is I'm to cheap to spend money and I like to know how to fix my own motorcycle.

Hint, I videoed and took pic on my tear down so that I would know where the parts go when I rebuild it.

Good Luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts