Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to admit, the only thing I'm more interested in than a Grom is the other people interested in the Grom.

Who are you? What kind of riding experience do you have? What sort of torment are you planning on putting your Grom through? Let's keep 'em short and hear from everyone!

I'm a Minneapolis, MN coder that loves driving my SV650s everywhere I don't need a car.

I have a lot of reasons for liking this little machine. There's something about pushing a little bike as hard as it will go that's so much more fun than babying a bigger bike. I could see my wife learning to ride on it. My mountain biking experience tells me that the smaller wheels will be really fun to whip around around on. That's it, I guess... it just looks FUN.

·
Registered
918 Posts
New Orleans, LA born and raised, moved to Lafayette, LA for school in 2008. I want a for one of the same reasons as you. I like to push stuff to its limits and I feel the Grom will give me that opportunity without blowing all kinds of money on track days on a bigger bike. I plan to ride the shit out of it, that's for sure!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I wanted to get a bike, but I didn't want anything typical. I plan on using it as a commuter and giving it a little hell every once in a while.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I want to drive mine back and forth to work. I drive between 25-30 miles each way to work. The roads I will take are fairly twisty. And I just want to raise He** on it. Why not? It will be different to ride a 3/4 scale bike. People I work with think I'm nuts but who cares.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm a retired dentist, 67 years old. I have been riding 44 years and owned scads of bikes from 50cc scooters to superbikes. I am presently down to just 3 bikes in my garage but the Grom will be my fourth. I like bikes that offer something unique...fastest, cheapest to run, quietest, loudest, lightest weight, best acceleration, etc. The Grom will be my lightest and smallest, although I did have a 2011 Zero S that weighed only 200 lbs. My new Zero S is 255 lbs. AJ Nin is Ninja backwards.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Had a zx6r, it was pointless. Couldn't do anything fun legally without going to track. Had a shadow 600, slow and comfy, interstate driving was terrible and it didn't turn. Had ruckus's, very very fun, but incredibly slow unless you china swap it (which makes no sense to me). So grom it is! Get the small and fun of the ruckus, with the peppy manual of the motorcycles. Add a bore kit and exhaust and ride the hell out of it everywhere

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
50 Y/O So Cal native with 41 years of riding experience on two dozen plus bikes. Why a Grom? Because it is going to be FUN. I can just tell by looking at it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
28 norcal born and raised

this will be like my 40th bike give or take mostly classic, all japanese steel. Got into street with my ruckus then about 20 different bikes after that, rode dirt on an rmz450. Everything I tend to keep has a Honda badge on it.

Looks badass, more fun than a scoot, cheap/reliable bar hopper/errand runner/weekend fun tool. Hoping this bike will replace my "need" for two road bikes and two scooters and beccome one of two or one of three instead of an additional 5th.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cheap commuting, queue busting, popping out for a pint of milk but generally just riding something flat out everywhere. I agree with other posts on the forum that there's so much more fun to be had riding something that's relatively slow but at the max rather than having 100 bhp and only touching it's potential on the straights. Maintaining momentum is the name of the game and you subsequently learn so much more. Young boys on fast bikes don't do their apprenticeship in biking, slow bikes make you pick good lines, lay off the brakes, keep it smooth and think ahead.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Fantastic thread!

Phillip Jordan here from Oklahoma City originally from Wash DC.

25 years of age (My Bday is in August...GROM is going to make 26 very sweet)
Married (no children yet)
Master Barber

4 years of riding experience.
Honda fanatic and purist
I have owned several GET rucks. And I currently own a built up 2011 ruck.

7 miles commute one way from downtown Okc to Midwest city. Straight shot. But I ride my ruckus everywhere. Down town, dirt trails, gravel roads, everywhere. My wife drives our 2012 Honda fit sport on Swift springs.

She won't let me get a big bike due to a death of a very close brother in Christ last year.

I was browsing theawesomer.com one day and saw the GROM for the first time. I clicked the link, watched the US promo video and my head just about exploded. I have been dreaming of Honda to make something like this that was modern and most importantly... US bound.

Boy did they make all of our dreams come true. I'm going to learn from past mistakes, take my time and built this thing very tactfully and tastefully. No budget modding here anymore. I will go very slow in this process as well.

I was kinda scared to ask for permission from Mrs. Jordan to make this purchase. I got home that evening, sat my wife down and showed her the video. She asked "so that's what you want now?" I smiled and responded "yes babe". She asked "how much is it?". I reply "3k"

She says " I GET the ruckus"

Classic moment in my young adult life

Long live the GROM!!!!!!!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Dj Hunny, born and raised in So Cal...mostly a Long Beach gal. About 8 years of riding experience now. Fell in love with my first motorcycle when watching my favorite anime, Oh My Goddess! I knew I wanted to ride like my fav character.

Minus the side car....
K1.jpg

·
Registered
296 Posts
Aaron in Austin here. My daily driver is a diesel F250 super duty. Costs me about $100 every three or four days to keep moving. I bet you can guess why I want a grom!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jack from Florida. Sold my car and bought a CB400F in 1977 and been riding as daily transportation since then. Just retired after over 20 years with a local Aprilia, Honda, Yamaha, Sea Doo dealership. Have owned dozens of bikes over the years, some very fast. My wife and I have done two trips out west from our home in the Tampa Bay area; once with a CB1 and '90 FZR1000 and the last trip was with a matching pair of '92 FZR1000's (beautiful "show quality" machines.) I still ride every chance I get, do track days and ride off-road as well. Guess I'm an avid rider with lots of miles under my butt. :)

Like many of you, I've been frustrated riding a powerful bike in urban areas. Riding the Tuono around town is an exercise in self control. Now, I'm not against self control (in small doses) but I don't want to spend all day and hundreds of dollars in expenses to trailer the track bike up to JenningsGP so I can get a dose of WFO! LOL I want my WFO daily!

I'm impressed with this group because most of us have been riding long enough (scooter or bike, really doesn't matter) to know the GROM is gonna be fun. Some people always think bigger is better but I think the GROM is the perfect size for personal transportation of the future.

This is gonna be FUN!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cam from SC. 38. Husband, father. Been on a motorcycle for 34 of those years. Own quite a few motorcycles. Road raced for 13 years. Built race bikes for 11 years. Competed on anything from an XR50 to an AMA spec GSXR1000 Superbike. Retired 2012 from racing. Spend any free time on mini dirt bikes, the lake, or on street bikes. The Grom will be for fun.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Grom has me curious. I have been a scooter guy all my life. Recently dumped my scoot and it sits waiting to be repaired. Recently I was reading about a couple who rode Symba's through different countries (advrider) and I got thinking about small 2 wheel bikes which let me to the SYM Wolf Classic. Reading and learning about that bike made me remember about the Grom. When I think Honda, I think reliability. Now you know my thought process.

I want to have fun riding and I want to ride without having a fear of breaking down. Just looking at the Grom makes me smile.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts