Honda Grom banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did some searching and haven't found an answer, looking for some opinions

purchased a used 2015 grom and am using it for stunting/commuting

can anyone chime in regarding the "best" performance oil pump ?

seems like there are a few options out there: takegawa, finbro, koso, etc.

I am mostly on 2 wheels but occasionally I am messing around

·
Registered
726 Posts
FINBRO sells a stock oil pump that is modified to pickup oil from the rear of the engine case via a hose. I'm pretty certain you can use the idea and mod a high flow oil pump the same way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FINBRO sells a stock oil pump that is modified to pickup oil from the rear of the engine case via a hose. I'm pretty certain you can use the idea and mod a high flow oil pump the same way.

I am wondering if that relocated pickup will have any adverse effects when the bike isn't vertical

also I have seen 2 videos on youtube of the Finbro pump failing

hoping some folks can chime in

·
Registered
291 Posts
Can’t say I’ve seen any failures due to downhill riding with the pumps I’ve modded. Then again I also recommend a slight overfill to compensate for living in a hilly area. Also since everyone does them a little differently their quality can’t be guaranteed. In testing my design still pumped oil with the rear tire about 1 foot off the ground with 1.15q of oil in the motor. The two best built pumps are the takagawa and the kitaco pumps. Though out of the box they won’t prevent oil starvation in wheelies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can’t say I’ve seen any failures due to downhill riding with the pumps I’ve modded. Then again I also recommend a slight overfill to compensate for living in a hilly area. Also since everyone does them a little differently their quality can’t be guaranteed. In testing my design still pumped oil with the rear tire about 1 foot off the ground with 1.15q of oil in the motor. The two best built pumps are the takagawa and the kitaco pumps. Though out of the box they won’t prevent oil starvation in wheelies.
Any write-up on your mods?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don’t have a how to posted as I’m offering my services doing the mod(pm me if interested). The mod it fairly straight forward, few ways to do it depending on the tools you have. If you know your way around said tools the mod is easy but a bit time consuming(if you want it to look nice at least). Mine take me about an hour start to finish now, used to take twice as long if not longer. Just be sure to plan out what your gonna do, take your time and measure twice.
This is one of my modded pumps.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Im fairly certain one member on the forum here had a motor seize due to lack of oil flow from a rear pickup oil pump as they went down a long steep hill.
Yup that was me, I was low on oil as well. Not enough that I think it should've starved the motor but it was a steep hill so tough call. I took the pump off last night to inspect it. I noticed right where the tube meets the pump it had a bit of a harsh angle as well which I could tell was restricting flow a little bit. I went ahead and pulled it off to throw my takegawa back on. I have had no issues out of it with countless 1-2 mile wheelies. Just keep your rpm down a hair moreso in the mid range or higher mid range and drop the wheelie once in a blue moon. Don't try throwing combos down sitting on 9k or your asking for trouble. Also keep oil just a hair on the high side as stated above, not too much, if you overfill it will pull away some performance.

I have installed koso as well, only difference is takegawa comes complete and koso you have to rebuild using some stock components.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looks like finbro stopped selling their mod that mimics TheMajekelBum's. I haven't been able to find a good reason why. Can anyone speak to the longevity of this mod? I am trying to find an internal solution and am running into alot of conflicting information. I have seen people say that the takegawa will just pump out all the oil faster in a wheelie so I am hesitant to buy it if that is the case. I also live in an area with some pretty steep hills and don't want to worry about the bike every time I go down hill.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have a Kitaco HD pump modified by Straight Up Pumps. Find them on Facebook. Its very similar to the picture posted above, its probably the same guy actually. They have a video on their page of a dude hanging from the copper tube.

I'm in the process of hooking up a KOSO oil pressure gauge inline with the Kitaco clutch cover just to see if going downhill will in fact starve the motor of oil with the modified oil pickup. I'm not too worried about it. I suspect the angle needs to be quite steep, and when are you ever going down such a steep hill for THAT long??

·
Registered
291 Posts
Your right, I am Straight Up Pumps. In my testing I found the rear tire needed to be about a foot off ground in order for it to stop pumping oil. Though also at a certain point all the oil is rushing into the jug/head from gravity. I was worried about hills when I first started modding the pumps as I live/ride in the mountains. My personal Grom has 7,000 miles of riding mountains with the same pick up location as my pumps and it’s a bit worn out but I’m sure that has to do with the 26,300 miles of red line riding I’ve put on it in about two years. Also recently I surpassed having 100 pumps out “in the wild” and have yet to have any reported failures over the year I’ve been doing this.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Your right, I am Straight Up Pumps. In my testing I found the rear tire needed to be about a foot off ground in order for it to stop pumping oil. Though also at a certain point all the oil is rushing into the jug/head from gravity. I was worried about hills when I first started modding the pumps as I live/ride in the mountains. My personal Grom has 7,000 miles of riding mountains with the same pick up location as my pumps and it’s a bit worn out but I’m sure that has to do with the 26,300 miles of red line riding I’ve put on it in about two years. Also recently I surpassed having 100 pumps out “in the wild” and have yet to have any reported failures over the year I’ve been doing this.

With a stock pump setup about how high off the ground does the front have to be before it starts sucking air?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Don’t have actual numbers on that but it stops pumping when your about halfway to balance point. Long story short, unless your actually balancing/riding wheelies then the pump isn’t really necessary. Chasing wheelies doesn’t starve the engine for long enough to cause any issues from what I’ve seen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts