Honda Grom banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About to pick up a 2020 Grom and I want to get to modding it right away. I've been doing some research on the best parts to get but I'm still unsure on some of the parts I want to use. I want to keep it relatively simple with intake/exhaust/tune but I want to make sure I'm not missing any must have mods. I will be using it for a fun/wheelie bike, but also for long rides, and I've read its good to get an oil pickup mod. Which one is the best to get between the OEM, Kitaco, and Takegawa for the simple mods I'm planning? I would prefer to buy the part and install it without needing to use parts off the stock pump so I'll have an OEM pump on the shelf if needed down the line. Also which intake do you guys recommend? I don't get a ton of rain where I live but I want something a little better than a cheap DIY filter so an actual aftermarket intake or reusing the stock airbox would be ideal. For tuning which reflash do you recommend going with? It seems easier for me to go with a reflash than an expensive unit like the ARacer or Power Commander as I might do a cam mod down the line but not right now. How about clutch mod kits, worth it, and which one to go with? Which front or rear sprocket brand and size should I go with to make wheelies easier but also have the top speed I want to take advantage of for highway rides after the power mods? Any specific parts I should get to make sure I pass emissions etc in AZ? Anything else I'm missing? Thanks for all your help guys!

·
Registered
817 Posts
If you plan on riding extended wheelies, you will NEED an SUP oil pump or have Vinny's customs modify your case.

I personally recommend the Sex Machine Racing 6 disc clutch and 60% stiffer springs. You will appreciate the extra pop when trying to get it up.

A longer intake/exhaust will build more torque but sacrifice HP. Torque is better for wheelies, so if that is your main thing look for the longer intakes and maybe a looped exhaust.

I had a CJR ecu flash on mine and would definitely recommend it. Put 9000 miles on the flash before I upgraded and he recommended the Aracer at my mod level. I don't know about the emissions testing though, is it visual or a sniffer test? Can you get by without a catalytic converter?

I run 14T front and 36T rear, it gives me awesome acceleration and will still run 69 or so at the 10k rpm limit of the stock springs. I am built for high rpm power though so your results may vary if you build for torque.

Reactions: drugg1st

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you plan on riding extended wheelies, you will NEED an SUP oil pump or have Vinny's customs modify your case.

I personally recommend the Sex Machine Racing 6 disc clutch and 60% stiffer springs. You will appreciate the extra pop when trying to get it up.

A longer intake/exhaust will build more torque but sacrifice HP. Torque is better for wheelies, so if that is your main thing look for the longer intakes and maybe a looped exhaust.

I had a CJR ecu flash on mine and would definitely recommend it. Put 9000 miles on the flash before I upgraded and he recommended the Aracer at my mod level. I don't know about the emissions testing though, is it visual or a sniffer test? Can you get by without a catalytic converter?

I run 14T front and 36T rear, it gives me awesome acceleration and will still run 69 or so at the 10k rpm limit of the stock springs. I am built for high rpm power though so your results may vary if you build for torque.
Great info, thanks! AZ plugs into the OBD2 on cars but not sure how they would do it on bikes.

I saw the one that Photogromer uses is from eBay. Would you trust that one or get a legit one from a respectable company? Are they tough to install for a DIY?

What intake and exhaust do you run for more hp rather than tq?

If you didn't have the stiffer springs would you just have less bite and more slip when trying to pop a wheelie?

I would like to get away with a reflashed ECU if possible as the units like aRacer just seem complex. Was it easy to install and get a map from your tuner up and running on it?

Is 69mph adjusted mph for your sprockets or what your speedometer says. I remember hearing a 14T/36T will put the mph off by about 10mph or so.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I run a DingerBuilt short intake, and Hindle exhaust. My power mods are in my Signature.

Yes the stiffer clutch springs help prevent the clutch from slipping.

69mph on gps, you can play around at www.gearingcommander.com and see different combos.

·
Registered
817 Posts
If you are only going as far as intake, exhaust, and cam, you can just get an ecu flash from CJR or others.

·
Registered
136 Posts
About to pick up a 2020 Grom and I want to get to modding it right away. I've been doing some research on the best parts to get but I'm still unsure on some of the parts I want to use. I want to keep it relatively simple with intake/exhaust/tune but I want to make sure I'm not missing any must have mods. I will be using it for a fun/wheelie bike, but also for long rides, and I've read its good to get an oil pickup mod. Which one is the best to get between the OEM, Kitaco, and Takegawa for the simple mods I'm planning? I would prefer to buy the part and install it without needing to use parts off the stock pump so I'll have an OEM pump on the shelf if needed down the line. Also which intake do you guys recommend? I don't get a ton of rain where I live but I want something a little better than a cheap DIY filter so an actual aftermarket intake or reusing the stock airbox would be ideal. For tuning which reflash do you recommend going with? It seems easier for me to go with a reflash than an expensive unit like the ARacer or Power Commander as I might do a cam mod down the line but not right now. How about clutch mod kits, worth it, and which one to go with? Which front or rear sprocket brand and size should I go with to make wheelies easier but also have the top speed I want to take advantage of for highway rides after the power mods? Any specific parts I should get to make sure I pass emissions etc in AZ? Anything else I'm missing? Thanks for all your help guys!
Reflash is the cheapest and probably least confusing, especially if all you plan to do is intake/exhaust. I went with DHM, which was tailored to a TB cam, I have a few hundred miles on it and so far I love it.

Definitely go for a 14T in the front, it really helps initial acceleration and will also make wheelies easier.

I think you're on the right path of modding: intake, exhaust, reflash will definitely wake up the bike. Additional mods that I would also recommend are suspension and clutch cover/oil spinner delete. The stock suspension is garbage and spring kits are fairly cheap and well worth the money. The kitaco clutch cover eliminates the oil spinner, which takes some rotational weight out of the engine and makes oil changes much easier.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reflash is the cheapest and probably least confusing, especially if all you plan to do is intake/exhaust. I went with DHM, which was tailored to a TB cam, I have a few hundred miles on it and so far I love it.

Definitely go for a 14T in the front, it really helps initial acceleration and will also make wheelies easier.

I think you're on the right path of modding: intake, exhaust, reflash will definitely wake up the bike. Additional mods that I would also recommend are suspension and clutch cover/oil spinner delete. The stock suspension is garbage and spring kits are fairly cheap and well worth the money. The kitaco clutch cover eliminates the oil spinner, which takes some rotational weight out of the engine and makes oil changes much easier.
I'm thinking I'll go with stronger springs etc before the clutch cover since it isn't cheap, but I eventually want to do it. Would be nice to just have a filter in general.

Just bought a 14T and should be here this week. As soon as I hit the 300 like brake in and change the oil the new sprocket is going on and it's wheelie time!

Another thing would be clutch and brake levers. What are the go to levers to buy for this bike?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm thinking I'll go with stronger springs etc before the clutch cover since it isn't cheap, but I eventually want to do it. Would be nice to just have a filter in general.

Just bought a 14T and should be here this week. As soon as I hit the 300 like brake in and change the oil the new sprocket is going on and it's wheelie time!

Another thing would be clutch and brake levers. What are the go to levers to buy for this bike?
I just have cheapo ebay levers (MKZ or something like that) and they work just fine. You should be able to find a decent set for $20 or $30.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just have cheapo ebay levers (MKZ or something like that) and they work just fine. You should be able to find a decent set for $20 or $30.
I'll check those out. But I don't mind spending more if it's going to be good quality and last a long time.

Anyone on here using the CRG or ASV levers? I'm looking for a 2 or 3 finger shorty lever that makes the engagement feel better and is good for wheelies in the clutch with quick pop out when you release it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts