Honda Grom banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1969, Honda, Qa50, 49cc OHV
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am new here and have come here for some help from people who have experience in the Monkey Bike field. My father has had a 1969 Honda Qa50 for years in the garage that I want to try to work on after 4 years of it sitting in the back of the garage. The bike itself is in alright condition and there's not really any rust. The main issue with it is that a younger me decided it would have been wise to take apart part of the monkey bike's front suspension and tear it down to do a full-on restoration. At this point, I just want to get the bike up and running. Currently, the parts for part of the bike sit in a box, and I need to take out the engine that is currently in it to replace it with a "new" one. The current one had some problems from what my father told me. If I recall correctly, when I was working on this 4 years ago, I had problems with the master chain link from the engine to the rear wheel sprocket. It is seized on there and I tried to it with WD40 before. I believe the first place for me to restart on this project is to get the master chain link removed so I can get the engine out. What is the best way to go about this? I don't have much at my disposal and can't really go out to a store to get anything. Also, sorry for the lack of pictures! It's currently 9:40 or so at night and am unable to get to the bike.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Most people will appreciate the restoration, but there will be few that are familiar with the older bikes here as this is the Monkey 125 forum.

As for the chain, I'd just treat it as a riveted chain and use a chain breaker tool and maybe a dremel to grind off the end of the pin before pressing it out.

·
Registered
1969, Honda, Qa50, 49cc OHV
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most people will appreciate the restoration, but there will be few that are familiar with the older bikes here as this is the Monkey 125 forum.

As for the chain, I'd just treat it as a riveted chain and use a chain breaker tool and maybe a dremel to grind off the end of the pin before pressing it out.
Oh! I didn't know this was for 125s specifically. So you know a forum that caters to my type of bike by any chance?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts