Honda Grom banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
How about just the differences between the US Groms we are discovering. Denso and NGK spark plugs. Black/white ground wires and black/orange ground wires.

What else have people noticed?

·
Registered
273 Posts
There's probably no catalytic converter on Thai models

Sent from my XT1080 using HondaGrom.net mobile app
The thai ones do have the cat. But 90% of them change their pipes so its one of the first things to go... all new bikes here have to have one as part of the govt. Regulations on selling new bikes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think every single post I have ever read from you complains about the 'MSRP' or something else about the bike's price or value - do you even own a Grom? Were you forced against your will to buy it maybe? Is that why you carry so much resentment?

Do you think a bike built in and for a Thailand market, that is imported to the USA should and would carry the same MSRP in US dollars as in Thailand? The perceived cost difference you constantly complain of is the cost of getting this Thia bike here for us and is very noticeable on the bottom line of something as inexpensive as a Grom. And we enjoy a very favorable tariff schedule in the US from Thialand...
Actually it's called MSX pretty much everywhere but hte US, afaik. And the MSRP is nice and all, but it costs way more than that in most stores in and around my country (Austria). I.e. the cheapest I saw a new one was 3790 (plus some wiggle room to negotiate but not much) but that sold fast and the next listing was 3990 (when I called he wouldnt go below 3900).

THey're a tad bit cheaper in Germany and such (as the market is a lot bigger, 10x more people living there), but only by a few hundred. And those are EUROS. I don't know the current exchange rate, but I'm sure it's 1 dollar 10-20 cents (or thereabouts) to 1 Euro....

I got lucky and bought mine used from a Honda dealership mechanic, only registered for 6 months and only 700 kilometers for 3000 Euros. A steal, considering others were listing their bikes for as much as that and more, with 4-5 times the mileage (some even with scratches from sliding on pebbles, deep enough you wouldnt get to polish them out + on the exhaust etc.).

They might be this cheap in Thailand. I bought mine, because I was in Bangkok etc. during the summer this year. I originally wanted to rent a CBR 300 R, as I hadn't been riding since I was about 19 (so roughly 15 errr I mean 10 years), but there was a mess up with reservations. So I picked the MSX instead. I considered buying it, as I will be going to Thailand again, and they offered it to me for 33000 baht (35000 baht would roughly be 1000 euros), but with over 8000 kilometers, minor cosmetical damage, no ABS, and while maintained by their inhouse mechanics, it definitely didn't run as smooth as my own and even lacked stuff like the engine killing itself when you try to shift into gear when your kickstand is still down (I didn't even know it could do that, thank God it does). After all the Thais don't have to pay import fees, no extra charges on top for the transportation etc.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts