Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
There are some other small differences aside from price and they are pretty well documented;
Different indicators/headlight, msx has no kill switch on the kickstand... little things like that... but I'd happily save the 1.5k on the purchase price lol... more money to mod with

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Spain 3150 euros ,,, Again Europe more expensive same for everything , 1 litter gas 2 dollars how much a gallon in the us. now??

·
Registered
474 Posts
I think every single post I have ever read from you complains about the 'MSRP' or something else about the bike's price or value - do you even own a Grom? Were you forced against your will to buy it maybe? Is that why you carry so much resentment?

Do you think a bike built in and for a Thailand market, that is imported to the USA should and would carry the same MSRP in US dollars as in Thailand? The perceived cost difference you constantly complain of is the cost of getting this Thia bike here for us and is very noticeable on the bottom line of something as inexpensive as a Grom. And we enjoy a very favorable tariff schedule in the US from Thialand...
IMO the grom aint worth $3k, i paid $3800 and ive dumped prolly $1k in mods already, totally almost $5k for the bike, am i happy with it, yea i am, would i be happier with 3x more so my friends can ride with me at the same time - fuck yea and that is the bottom line, fun factor for 1x person or fun factor for 3x.

your not grasping wtf the grom is meant for, its perfect for high populated countires/cities like thai and india, but when you get into the open road like non populated cities, you will be annoyed that the car in front of you always depicts what you can or cannot do on your grom. With a real motorcycle that freedom factor is very apparent and the car in front of you is not the problem, with the groms lack of hp you must carefully plan out every pass and maneuver or you will get squished by the car.

the grom has alot of shortcomings, what i dont want is people to buy a $3k bike and not understand what it can and cannot do.

on the other hand if you want a real motorcycle and not a toy $3k goes a very long way.

if you continue to think the grom is worth its weight in gold vs what you can buy used, then the grom is really worth $3k to you that is all, its just not worth it 2 me IMO.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You don't need much power to split lanes. My 4hp moped cuts my commute down by 30 minutes.

Sent from my XT1080 using HondaGrom.net mobile app

·
Registered
134 Posts
IMO the grom aint worth $3k, i paid $3800 and ive dumped prolly $1k in mods already, totally almost $5k for the bike, am i happy with it, yea i am, would i be happier with 3x more so my friends can ride with me at the same time - fuck yea and that is the bottom line, fun factor for 1x person or fun factor for 3x.

your not grasping wtf the grom is meant for, its perfect for high populated countires/cities like thai and india, but when you get into the open road like non populated cities, you will be annoyed that the car in front of you always depicts what you can or cannot do on your grom. With a real motorcycle that freedom factor is very apparent and the car in front of you is not the problem, with the groms lack of hp you must carefully plan out every pass and maneuver or you will get squished by the car.

the grom has alot of shortcomings, what i dont want is people to buy a $3k bike and not understand what it can and cannot do.

on the other hand if you want a real motorcycle and not a toy $3k goes a very long way.

if you continue to think the grom is worth its weight in gold vs what you can buy used, then the grom is really worth $3k to you that is all, its just not worth it 2 me IMO.

Such a downer geez its a small bike a lot of us are coming from Ruckus scooters we know its 125cc not 1250cc We bought them cause they are fun to ride and mod :p

·
Registered
955 Posts
There are some other small differences aside from price and they are pretty well documented;
Different indicators/headlight, msx has no kill switch on the kickstand... little things like that... but I'd happily save the 1.5k on the purchase price lol... more money to mod with

Not sure about the Thai MSX125, but mine has the kick stand safety switch.

ImageUploadedByHondaGrom.net1390223500.177516.jpg
ImageUploadedByHondaGrom.net1390223546.130868.jpg

Sent from my iPad using HondaGrom.net

·
Registered
53 Posts
well its the same bike

BUT

Grom: MSRP USD $3200
MSX125: MSRP USD $2000

thats the only difference is they change the name and increase the price, dont fool yourself thinking the grom is worth the MSRP when they sell it for way cheaper everywhere else
Much of the price difference involves getting the model homologated for use on public US highways by the US DOT. Very expensive, and required for all motor vehicles (non-competition) to be registered in US.

Sent from my iPhone using HondaGrom.net

·
Registered
148 Posts

IMO the grom aint worth $3k, i paid $3800 and ive dumped prolly $1k in mods already, totally almost $5k for the bike

Fascinating statement right there – the product isn’t even worth X to you, yet you paid above X for it and then dumped more money into it…

… i be happier with 3x more so my friends can ride with me at the same time -

So you are expecting 3 Groms for what you have paid?

your not grasping wtf the grom is meant for

I actually know exactly what the Grom
is meant for, and I am trying to explain that to you. Are you sure you know “WTF” it was meant for? I know it was designed and marketed for the Asia-pacific block where small bikes are dailies/commuter vehicles and more common than cars for most. As such, it’s size, speed, MPG and COST is correct to compete in those markets. It was then brought stateside as a secondary market for Honda where it is nothing more than a luxury/novelty item as it has no true (or extremely limited) market niche here based on its design and purpose. It is fun as hell though and we like to pay a premium for our fun here. But bottom line is if you live stateside, purchased a Grom and poured money into it and are now disappointed that you (and 3 of your friends?) aren’t out there passing cars on US roads on them then you my friend definitely don’t get it. And you’re here complaining about this to a group of people who mostly do…

With a real motorcycle that freedom factor is very apparent and the car in front of you is not the problem, with the groms lack of hp you must carefully plan out every pass and maneuver or you will get squished by the car.
The car in front of you should (almost) never be a problem on any bike, if you are out there to ride safely and feel that 2-wheel “freedom.” But if you’re out there looking to pass traffic in a Grom, then you are probably the problem. And that goes back to you truly not getting what the bike is for or about.

Every bike does, but this bike does exactly what I expect it to do for it’s specs and cost. I think (and hope) most aren’t out there buying them expecting to pass traffic, etc like you were. I guess your negativity is due to the Grom not meeting your expectations– but I’m fairly sure it is as advertised to most. “Real motorcycle” is definitely subjective and clearly you were misinformed about the Grom or had an unrealistic expectation… You’re right though, you can find a late model CBR and pass cars all day on the interstate if you want, maybe even for 3k depending on how many times it was dropped… The Grom isn’t than bike and definitely not the bike for your money though.

Fun fact to lighten the mood – if the Grom was worth it’s weight in gold it would be approx. 4.5 million US dollars at today’s gold rate. And I am really sorry you dislike (or undervalue) your Grom that much. But your opinion on it’s value is bias and extremely short sighted. It is however your opinion and you can post all day long about it… Me, I’ll be out riding (when it stops snowing anyway) Ride safe and careful passing those cars!

PS Bitman nailed it – the cost to put any vehicle on the road here in the US is substantial and makes up a huge chunk of the difference in MSRP in US dollars. In fact, most of the changes mentioned above, though they may seem cosmetic – are more likely due to some obscure ordinance at some state DOT about side markers or projector housing...

·
Registered
134 Posts

Fun fact to lighten the mood – if the Grom was worth it’s weight in gold it would be approx. 4.5 million US dollars at today’s gold rate. And I am really sorry you dislike (or undervalue) your Grom that much. But your opinion on it’s value is bias and extremely short sighted. It is however your opinion and you can post all day long about it… Me, I’ll be out riding (when it stops snowing anyway) Ride safe and careful passing those cars!
YAY!! someone made a joke made my day thanks :D

·
Registered
598 Posts
Thanks Kacz....
You hit a homer.
I read FXCLM5's post 3 times and it made my head hurt because I could not decipher what exactly he was saying.
Maybe if he didn't contradict himself, I would have understood what he said.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The Honda CBR 600RR has seen a MSRP price hike of approx $3,000 USD since it debuted in 2003.

Even with the the economic change through the years, as well as the changes to the bike since then, I don't think it makes it worth the price increase.

But you don't really hear anybody complaining about that. Lol

"Anybody can wack a fist full of throttle & ride in a straight line... You'll see who the REAL riders are when the road bends. LIFE is graded on a turn."

IG: Omarvelous619

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hey I think I found another difference between thai msx and grom.

Looking at pictures the thai msx turn signal mounts (plastic boomarang) seem to have a shorter stem for the turn signal to sit on... can amyone verify the US shape? This are my thai ones I noticed this while painting them today uploadfromtaptalk1390941542201.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
well its the same bike

BUT

Grom: MSRP USD $3200
MSX125: MSRP USD $2000

thats the only difference is they change the name and increase the price, dont fool yourself thinking the grom is worth the MSRP when they sell it for way cheaper everywhere else
There are other differences. Honda US had to do all the US DOT to make it road worthy. I hope you know that not all countries' regulation is the same hence, different pricing. I stay in Hong Kong and I am planning to get one (MSRP USD 4230). Am I complaining? Nope because I understand that the government is getting lots of tax from it. Moreover, how much are you paying for beer in US and in Thailand? I am darn sure you can get 90% of the things cheaper in Thailand. Why? Because the living standard is lower. You can't just compare it like that.

I have been riding different sport bikes (CBR600RR, GSXR600, R6) and understand their pros/cons. Grom owners are paying a bike that is comparably cheaper to buy/run/maintain/mods. You can't have best of both world.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts