Honda Grom banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an MSX125 with 800 miles on it. I checked the oil and noticed it was pretty low.

As a quick fix I topped her up with some genuine Honda 10w30 oil I use for servicing lawn and power equipment, which is less than ideal and needs putting right a.s.a.p.

Having looked around for the "best" oil for the Grom, I have found many mixed results. There seems to be a 50/50 argument going on with what the best oil is for the Grom, between the manual specified 10w30 oil and your more common 10w40 oil.

I'd like to know what the best oil is for the Grom as I would have never imagined 'oil shopping' to be so stressful.

So what is the "best" oil for the Grom? What's the best brand and/or oil type? And what do you, another Grom owner, use in your Grom?

Also should I be looking at a certain type of oil at the moment given my low milage and then progress to something different after she's got some more miles on the clock?

I also understand that climate has a toll on engines and oil so maybe the detail of I live in England where it's never usually freezing nor scorching hot may help with what my "optimal oil" will be.

I look forward to seeing people's response and finally finding out What is the best oil for the Honda Grom?

Also another little side question, when I checked the oil on my MSX/Grom, there was a creamy white colour in the oil and around the filler cap for the oil, should I be concerned? The engine sounds absolutely fine when it's running but I've never seen this before, even with my years of servicing lawn and power equipment.

Thank you
Eddie. :hondalogo:

·
Registered
752 Posts
It's not worth worrying about, but you can't go wrong with Honda motorcycle 10W-30.

Creamy white means water somehow got into your oil. If it's in your latest batch of oil, time to start digging a little deeper.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I picked up some Castrol 10w30 power 1 for cheap from halfords the other week. Put that in when I done my oil change and clean at the weekend.

The creamy white stuff is normal for these bikes, especially during winter. It appears the engine cannot maintain enough heat to burn off the moisture in the air. It should improve/disappear with longer runs and when/if the warmer weather arrives.
Regular oil changes help it, of course. Only takes around a litre so not expensive or difficult to do.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The white stuff is just a bit of condensation through lack of use.
Get some miles on it and it'll soon go.
As for oil choice.......probably ever member will give you a different answer.
The most important thing is to do it regularly, and keep it topped.
Although it shouldn't loose oil anyway.
I don't think i've ever added oil between changes.

As for 10w30 or 10w40. the 40 is just a slightly heavier oil, better for hot weather.
I use either, depends on what is available.

With low mileage (Less than 5000miles) I would suggest using Semi Synthetic.
After that got to Fully Synthetic.
I like Motul oil, mainly because I know it's good oil and easily available here.
But I would have no problems using another make, as long as it's a reputable oil.

HTH Dog

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I am using shell ultra advance 15w-50 on my 235cc BBK, works great.
This is what i like to see.
When i finally change my oil (now that im out of honda gn4 10w-30), ill be switching to 20w-50 (or 15w-50). Sure you may loose a bit of power to friction/the viscosity, but it should do a better job overall at the high temps BBKs can produce.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts