Honda Grom banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Steve, a FYI, fill in your signature, so the forum members can better suggest items that you might need, since they could already see what you have.
Whoops that's my mistake. Haven't gotten around to that yet. Sounds like a good idea when I get out of work in a few hours.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The steering damper was one of the last modifications I did, and I can say that is wholly a waste of money on this bike. The good ones (HyperPro and Scott's) are extremely expensive for what they are.

Regarding the Kitaco cover and wheelies - you've got a BBK... if you can't wheelie, the issue is the clutch, the sprockets, the tune, or you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The steering damper was one of the last modifications I did, and I can say that is wholly a waste of money on this bike. The good ones (HyperPro and Scott's) are extremely expensive for what they are.

Regarding the Kitaco cover and wheelies - you've got a BBK... if you can't wheelie, the issue is the clutch, the sprockets, the tune, or you.
Really on the fence on doing one because of the $$$ but I’m getting a lot of wobble on the handlebars on parkways with grooved pavement.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I’ve noticed that as well.whats your top speed with that bbk
As of right now it's not quite broke it yet so I haven't really opened it up yet, but itll sit around 70 on flat road without any issues. And that's true speed to, I've recalibrated it with the 12oclock lab speedohealer. It's insane, takes a bit to get there but absolutely holds it. Also I looked into the steering damper and it seems like they arent compatible with clip on bars like I have.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Lol I dont wheelie at all, I broke my back when I was 17 on a bmx bike and that's enough messing around for me haha. And also I'm not entirely sure the bike would wheelie even with the bbk with how low and stretched it is and the gearing.

·
Vendor
1,865 Posts
Upgrading shift linkage is futile. Ditch all the linkage, and get a proper lever. 10x better. We’ve probably sold 400 levers, and had nothing but positive feedback on the feel and function.

·
Vendor
1,865 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Second on the Dampner being a waste,,, Not really a waste just not needed.

Can get my grom up to 85mph and have not felt the need for a dampner, Does not wobble or shake in any uncontrollable way.

There may be other issues at hand if this is your case.
Based on the information I've found, I dont believe dampeners would work with the clip on style bars I have anyways. So that's off the list. I did however stumble across bushings for the swing arm that seem pretty promising.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Second on the Dampner being a waste,,, Not really a waste just not needed.

Can get my grom up to 85mph and have not felt the need for a dampner, Does not wobble or shake in any uncontrollable way.

There may be other issues at hand if this is your case.
I did some research and there could be a some other issues regarding my suspension set up. I only encounter it on uneven pavement with some wind 60. Other times I can be going 72 without a hint of head shake. My mechanic did a damper as one of his first mods to his Grom citing the physics of such a short wheelbase.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Have you considered an aluminum swingarm instead of bushings? Several members have posted very positive results with the kepspeed model. No long term results yet....
I haven't, I've seen it and it looks incredible. But it's out of the question for me. My grom is stretched for the look. And that isnt possible with the kepspeed model. That's the only reason why I checked into the bushings.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I did some research and there could be a some other issues regarding my suspension set up. I only encounter it on uneven pavement with some wind 60. Other times I can be going 72 without a hint of head shake. My mechanic did a damper as one of his first mods to his Grom citing the physics of such a short wheelbase.
That's called putting the horse before the carriage. If you get head shake, get a better helmet. If you experience a tank slapper, buy a steering damper.

Clip-on bars will work with most dampers as they still connect to the upper triple.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yes, that's it.
Upgrading shift linkage is futile. Ditch all the linkage, and get a proper lever. 10x better. We’ve probably sold 400 levers, and had nothing but positive feedback on the feel and function.
Not sure what you mean. Did it myself on different Groms, 4 / 5 speeds, different clutches / springs, stock CC or BBK, it has always been a real improvement. Plus it costs only a few $.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's called putting the horse before the carriage. If you get head shake, get a better helmet. If you experience a tank slapper, buy a steering damper.

Clip-on bars will work with most dampers as they still connect to the upper triple.
Have not experienced a tank slapper. Just a nasty oscillating within the grips. Like a skateboard with trucks that are a little to loose. How does a helmet effect this? I have a full face LS2 and an alpine motorcross helmet. The shake happens on a particular parkway at around 55-60 with wind. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Grip oscillation is either a tire or steering head bearing issue. I would fix the issue rather than applying a steering damper as it will simply mask a problem that will get worse.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts