Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's up guys. This quarantine has me saving money like crazy and I'm ready to buy some stuff for the grom again. It's just a cruising showy bike now. No track days or off road shenanigans. I do enjoy a good burn out from time to time though.

As of right now it's a 2019 grom non abs.

186cc dhm bbk
Tb cam
Chimera intake
Cheap chinese exhaust, new 1.5" already order, just waiting for it to arrive.
17/32t gearing
Takegawa High output oil pump
Morin Oil cooler
Seat
Upgraded shock
Fender eliminator
Adjustable levers
Monster eye light (looking into ruck eyes)
Bar end mirrors
Integrated tail light
Upgraded clutch ( as well as 60% springs and koso lifter)
Compostmo (?) Bars, stretch kit, and 4.5" lower link
2" fork lowering cups ( looking into ruckus forks with bigger brakes)
Trail tech cht gauge
12oclock lab speedohealer
Full fairing ( may switch it up to a belly pan later this season)
And other stuff I'm forgetting that I'll remember to add later.

As of right now all I can think of needing for more speed MAYBE is the kitaco clutch cover.
Could you guys give me some input what else I should be adding to the list of buying, be it for speed or better handling I'm all ears.

(Ps I'd love to post some pictures of it currently but I cant figure out how to do it on mobile)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Final drive is the same

·
Registered
234 Posts
You adjust your effective final with sprockets.

I stand by my recommendation - 5 speed. Best modification I made next to the 181NEO kit.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You adjust your effective final with sprockets.

I stand by my recommendation - 5 speed. Best modification I made next to the 181NEO kit.
Forgive my ignorance on this subject. I've currently got a 17/32t set up. Are these the sprockets your talking about to adjust my final drive. Or actually part of the transmission gear?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Things to add for very little money:
  • a more realistic sprocket combo
  • gear lever linkage mod
  • 6x 60% stiffer springs (Kitaco, SMR are twice the price and add nothing)
  • turn down the oil spinner to half its weight

·
Registered
15 Posts
What's up guys. This quarantine has me saving money like crazy and I'm ready to buy some stuff for the grom again. It's just a cruising showy bike now. No track days or off road shenanigans. I do enjoy a good burn out from time to time though.

As of right now it's a 2019 grom non abs.
186cc dhm bbk
Chimera intake
Cheap chinese exhaust, new 1.5" already order, just waiting for it to arrive.
17/32t gearing

As of right now all I can think of needing for more speed MAYBE is the kitaco clutch cover.
Could you guys give me some input what else I should be adding to the list of buying, be it for speed or better handling I'm all ears.

(Ps I'd love to post some pictures of it currently but I cant figure out how to do it on mobile)
Saving money? What’s you line of work? Options for upgrades safety=Tires (the stocks are terrible) comfort= Corbin seat
cosmetic= fender eliminator
Performance = suspension
Also with all the power mods you’ve done. Consider a steering damper. I’m looking at Scott’s top mount so I can keep 7/8 bars.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Forgive my ignorance on this subject. I've currently got a 17/32t set up. Are these the sprockets your talking about to adjust my final drive. Or actually part of the transmission gear?
The sprocket pair is easy to change to adjust FD.

• gear lever linkage mod
The Kitaco cover is my second recommendation and while that's being swapped, clutch springs. I'm surprised you aren't slipping with the 186 cc kit. The SMR 60% kit is stronger than the Kitaco 60% kit. I know, because I have both sets in my garage and the SMR kit is clearly stiffer. That said, don't get hung up on the numbers - either kit is strong enough for your BBK.

·
Registered
15 Posts

The Kitaco cover is my second recommendation and while that's being swapped, clutch springs. I'm surprised you aren't slipping with the 186 cc kit. The SMR 60% kit is stronger than the Kitaco 60% kit. I know, because I have both sets in my garage and the SMR kit is clearly stiffer. That said, don't get hung up on the numbers - either kit is strong enough for your BBK.
Ahh the clutch cover… I hear it increases throttle response and wheelie guys don’t like it. I do know one local Grom rider who did it himself. He swears he feels no difference.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
It is not about throttle response, Grasshopper.

You get a real oil filter.
You get oil cooler ports
You get a sight glass

You get piece of mind.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It is not about throttle response, Grasshopper.

You get a real oil filter.
You get oil cooler ports
You get a sight glass

You get piece of mind.
But… Master… isn’t that why we buy Honda in the first place? Lol this bike is a money pit. Still absolutely love it but it is what it is. Great reply.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
  • gear lever linkage mod
My mistake I forgot to mention I've got 60% stiffer springs, as well as the koso lifter plate. I'll probably end up with the kitaco clutch cover so the oil spinner isnt a bother for me. Could you explain the gear lever linkage mod? And what do you mean a more realistic sprocket combo. I've been riding it since the 186bbk has been installed with that gearing and it feels great and has awesome top end cruises at 65mph at 6300rpm and that's with a speedohealer from 12oclock lab. And so far I've been to around 71mph sitting up, no wind flat ground. And I'm 240lbs. So the bike should only get quicker as it breaks in more

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Saving money? What’s you line of work? Options for upgrades safety=Tires (the stocks are terrible) comfort= Corbin seat
cosmetic= fender eliminator
Performance = suspension
Also with all the power mods you’ve done. Consider a steering damper. I’m looking at Scott’s top mount so I can keep 7/8 bars.
I work in the milk industry haha. We dont close for anything. And with hazard pay now, and everything being closed all I do is save money. I got an aftermarket seat already, a fender eliminator, and upgraded shock already that I forgot to mention in the post. And where would I get a steering damper

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I'm pretty sure that I'm gunna get the kitaco clutch cover next for the oil filter and faster revs. And I've already got 60% stiffer springs and the koso lifter plate I forgot to mention.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm pretty sure that I'm gunna get the kitaco clutch cover next for the oil filter and faster revs. And I've already got 60% stiffer springs and the koso lifter plate I forgot to mention.
Might as well do the takegawa cover instead. Same concept (spinner delete with readily available paper filter) but also gives access to the clutch basket without dropping the whole cover and has an option for a thermostat in the oil cooler flow path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Might as well do the takegawa cover instead. Same concept (spinner delete with readily available paper filter) but also gives access to the clutch basket without dropping the whole cover and has an option for a thermostat in the oil cooler flow path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is there a huge price difference in the two? I've only ever seen the kitaco one.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
But… Master… isn’t that why we buy Honda in the first place? Lol this bike is a money pit. Still absolutely love it but it is what it is. Great reply.
So true. BUT, when you start modding the engine (BBK for instance), OEM reliability does not apply. One can spend as much money on reliability items as the BBK costs. Frequently two or three times as much. Just depends where your comfort level is.

Money pit? You are preaching to the choir around here. I had to take the credit card away from my Grom. 🔒 Had to put it under lock and key!

Steve, a FYI, fill in your signature, so the forum members can better suggest items that you might need, since they could already see what you have.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I work in the milk industry haha. We dont close for anything. And with hazard pay now, and everything being closed all I do is save money. I got an aftermarket seat already, a fender eliminator, and upgraded shock already that I forgot to mention in the post. And where would I get a steering damper
Scott’s makes a good one that works with 7/8 bars. That’ll probably be my next mod.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts