Honda Grom banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ni

Nice bay window too!
Thanks! ‘68....1st year of Bay Bus. Splittie was 1st choice based on looks but more $$$ for sure and somehow I found a completely rust-free Bay a few years ago so went for it. Can fit the Monkey in it for beach trips!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Until this month these two- ’70 RT1, ’69 AS2 125. sold them partially to make room in garage for the Monkey. Started riding in ‘69 on a Kawasaki Coyote, next bike was a Steen 100. Probably 25 bikes passed thru my hands since then....I like retro/vintage looks....but getting a little long in the tooth for retro/vintage mechanical reliability and handling! Hence the Monkey...love it so far!
View attachment 88430
The RT1 looks minty fresh.....I would have scooped that one up in a quick minute....

·
Registered
21 Posts
The RT1 looks minty fresh.....I would have scooped that one up in a quick minute....
It was nice....not all original or a concours resto, (seat was redone, fender repaint, etc) but engine/frame matching and pretty well sorted. It was on BAT awhile back....
1970 Yamaha RT1

The AS on the other hand was an all original one owner survivor, sat for 40+ years before I picked it up - not even a tear in the seat. I kinda miss that one....but don’t miss the two-stroke stink and racket.

Monkey combines best of both from where I’m at right now, retro looks, modern tech.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thought of creating a new post titled “What’s your ideal stablemate for Monkey” but figured I’d just piggyback on this thread. It’s becoming evident I’m needing a few more CC’s. Monkey is great for RV campground and putting around town, exploring slow paced backroads etc. but now and again I find myself wanting some more juice, and to do short freeway hops to get certain places. Had two vintage bikes with differing capabilities and want the same in “new vintage” bikes. Exploring possibilities-pretty much down to Triumph Street Twin, since bike I end up with (for my taste) needs total vintage looks. Kawasaki W800 was a contender, but seemingly more bang for the buck with Triumph. Royal Enfield just doesn’t ring the bell for me. Ducati Scrambler not vintage looking enough. Guzzi has funky looking engine...(again subjective-my taste). 900Cc is actually bigger than I want, but that’s what’s available. Love to find a 500 or under with total retro vibe and Honda quality but nothing in USA. I sure wish this was sold here instead of just India- snap it up in a heartbeat:
94F10975-E516-4351-9835-0B60BB3EFF0E.png

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Grom
885 Posts
819E4263-15DB-452D-8603-E3C99EEEB502.jpg

I guess this doesn't work for you? Rebel 500, I like it.

Reactions: Bluechimp

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thought of creating a new post titled “What’s your ideal stablemate for Monkey” but figured I’d just piggyback on this thread. It’s becoming evident I’m needing a few more CC’s. Monkey is great for RV campground and putting around town, exploring slow paced backroads etc. but now and again I find myself wanting some more juice, and to do short freeway hops to get certain places. Had two vintage bikes with differing capabilities and want the same in “new vintage” bikes. Exploring possibilities-pretty much down to Triumph Street Twin, since bike I end up with (for my taste) needs total vintage looks. Kawasaki W800 was a contender, but seemingly more bang for the buck with Triumph. Royal Enfield just doesn’t ring the bell for me. Ducati Scrambler not vintage looking enough. Guzzi has funky looking engine...(again subjective-my taste). 900Cc is actually bigger than I want, but that’s what’s available. Love to find a 500 or under with total retro vibe and Honda quality but nothing in USA. I sure wish this was sold here instead of just India- snap it up in a heartbeat: View attachment 88570
Would love to see the H’ness CB come to the US with an air cooled parallel twin! I wonder if the 350 single would be enough displacement separation from the monkey as I wouldn’t mind having enough to solidly do light touring with a passenger. Hence I’ve looked at the street twin or finding a SR400.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Thought of creating a new post titled “What’s your ideal stablemate for Monkey” but figured I’d just piggyback on this thread. It’s becoming evident I’m needing a few more CC’s. Monkey is great for RV campground and putting around town, exploring slow paced backroads etc. but now and again I find myself wanting some more juice, and to do short freeway hops to get certain places. Had two vintage bikes with differing capabilities and want the same in “new vintage” bikes. Exploring possibilities-pretty much down to Triumph Street Twin, since bike I end up with (for my taste) needs total vintage looks. Kawasaki W800 was a contender, but seemingly more bang for the buck with Triumph. Royal Enfield just doesn’t ring the bell for me. Ducati Scrambler not vintage looking enough. Guzzi has funky looking engine...(again subjective-my taste). 900Cc is actually bigger than I want, but that’s what’s available. Love to find a 500 or under with total retro vibe and Honda quality but nothing in USA. I sure wish this was sold here instead of just India- snap it up in a heartbeat: View attachment 88570
I vote you get the triumph. They are one of my favorite bikes from a looks standpoint.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I vote you get the triumph. They are one of my favorite bikes from a looks standpoint.
I likely will. Agree totally about the H’ness....twin would be the ticket but based on looks alone I’d buy the single as it is-checks ALL the “vintage vibe“ boxes and is a Honda to boot. India is lucky to get the stuff we can’t!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts