Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching YouTube videos I was under the impression that it’s 93 or 91 octane but a Honda salesman told me yesterday that it’s 87. I live in Canada in case that’s relevant.

·
Registered
178 Posts
87 unless you've got upgrades and a tune to take advantage of higher octane.

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you have a stock engine, you can run 87. People who have BBKs run the higher up octanes.

EDIT: Damn mikochu beat me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
After watching YouTube videos I was under the impression that it’s 93 or 91 octane but a Honda salesman told me yesterday that it’s 87. I live in Canada in case that’s relevant.
I have found over the years you often get the incorrect or partial information on these sites...doing your homework is always the most important thing when looking for answers. In this case I would consult my Honda owners manual and look under Fuel. It will direct you to page 33! Looks as follows.

WP_20190517_09_19_38_Pro.jpg

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
We used 87 octane in our stock Hayabusa since 1999 and I used 87 octane in my stock grom when it was stock but since I have a BBK 181-4v engine I use Union 76 91 octane which seems to run great. It runs even better than using Chervron 91 octane and I'm not sure why. I will try 89 octane on my next fill up to see if I get any pinging since gas is now over $4 a gal in Calif.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Of course you can always put 87 octane to your motorcycle and would work but it will get your engine, muffler and oil very dirty and does not have ultimate power, it becomes very slow.

I did that with my Grom, I tried the 87 octane and boy, the bike started acting up to the point that sometimes even turned off by itself while driving, horrible experience. I switched to super unleaded 91 octane from 76 and the bike became very responsive, it hits 63 mph now.

Same with cars, people always say that 87 octane is more than enough but they end up with having to replace their catalytic converter, injectors, oxygen sensor, oil is always super dirty, valves become noisy and out of specs, the car becomes a total mess.

Of course sale men tell you to get 87 because they want you to come to buy another car, the sooner the better for them. Even on my mower I put 91 octane if I put 87 it takes a century to start it. Also, different brands of gasoline have an impact on your car or bike's performance, the 91 gasoline from ARCO is not the same as the 91 from 76 or Mobil.

Of course there is always people like my brother, he does not see any difference from 87 or 91 octane, he always puts 87 on his cars, I wonder why he has replaced almost the entire engine, some people don't notice a difference from night or day.

There is a good reason why high performance cars use super unleaded gasoline "only".

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
high compression and timing require higher octane if it doesn't have an ecm to compensate for it. 87 is fine in stock motor, or anything under 10.5:1 compression ratio. you get over that, go up on octane to reduce pre-detonation.

Daily driver ford edge with 305hp v6: i run 87 no ill effects but it has engine management to deal with it (per manual). 1966 galaxie with high compression big block and no engine management to speak of: premium or it pings and detonates like crazy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been using 91 because it's only $3 to fill up but I do recall my owners manual saying 87 is fine. I might start using that and see if there's any noticeable difference. I've used 87 on my Ninja 300 and my car and they ran perfectly fine.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Of course you can always put 87 octane to your motorcycle and would work but it will get your engine, muffler and oil very dirty and does not have ultimate power, it becomes very slow.

I did that with my Grom, I tried the 87 octane and boy, the bike started acting up to the point that sometimes even turned off by itself while driving, horrible experience. I switched to super unleaded 91 octane from 76 and the bike became very responsive, it hits 63 mph now.

Same with cars, people always say that 87 octane is more than enough but they end up with having to replace their catalytic converter, injectors, oxygen sensor, oil is always super dirty, valves become noisy and out of specs, the car becomes a total mess.

Of course sale men tell you to get 87 because they want you to come to buy another car, the sooner the better for them. Even on my mower I put 91 octane if I put 87 it takes a century to start it. Also, different brands of gasoline have an impact on your car or bike's performance, the 91 gasoline from ARCO is not the same as the 91 from 76 or Mobil.

Of course there is always people like my brother, he does not see any difference from 87 or 91 octane, he always puts 87 on his cars, I wonder why he has replaced almost the entire engine, some people don't notice a difference from night or day.

There is a good reason why high performance cars use super unleaded gasoline "only".

This is terrible and very misleading information. If you're all stock, run what the owner's manual says, 87 octane. It is a simple waste of money to run anything outside of what the engine (and ECU tune) are designed for, it's actually working against it. The reason certain engines require higher octane fuel is because they're either higher compression or forced induction. The Grom is neither.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The detonation protection from 91 or 93 outweighs the tiny HP increase from low octane. Our ecu has no knock sensor or anything of the sort. If your bikes box stock then maybe I'd run low octane but once you have a intake or exhaust and the heat goes up I'd use a higher octane.

·
Vendor
1,865 Posts
Bikes (properly tuned) run cooler with intakes and exhaust. Absolutely no need for premium of detonation protection unless you are running higher compression or crazy timing. That’s just the facts. Don’t be fooled into the myth that higher octane builds more power. It does not. What it does do, is allow you to run high compression, forces induction, or crazy timing, and 99% of Grom do none of these. Again, the majority of bikes will make more power on 87. This isn’t my opinion, it’s the way it works....

·
Registered
8,334 Posts
Bikes (properly tuned) run cooler with intakes and exhaust. Absolutely no need for premium of detonation protection unless you are running higher compression or crazy timing. That’s just the facts. Don’t be fooled into the myth that higher octane builds more power. It does not. What it does do, is allow you to run high compression, forces induction, or crazy timing, and 99% of Grom do none of these. Again, the majority of bikes will make more power on 87. This isn’t my opinion, it’s the way it works....
My 1999 Hayabusa runs the best at 87 octane, go figure and it's a 1300 "1299cc" not a 125cc

·
Registered
14 Posts
Newbie Grom owner here so take this with a grain of salt. Running a gas vehicle commercially I have found that non-ethanol regular consistantly gets me 8% more miles on a tank and seems to run better.

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is terrible and very misleading information. If you're all stock, run what the owner's manual says, 87 octane. It is a simple waste of money to run anything outside of what the engine (and ECU tune) are designed for, it's actually working against it. The reason certain engines require higher octane fuel is because they're either higher compression or forced induction. The Grom is neither.
Oh, please, stop it, stop your technical BS, this has been a big debate since the beginning of time. 87 octane is basically water, super unleaded is more like a real combustible. My Grom works much better with super unleaded 91 octane from 76. This is a fact that I have confirmed. Of course there are vehicles that perhaps don't make a difference, or people that can't tell a difference, hell you could even put straight black petroleum and they will work. Any ways, keep putting your water 87 octane gasoline on your vehicle and I'll put on my bike 91 octane from 76. I agree to disagree with you.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Oh, please, stop it, stop your technical BS, this has been a big debate since the beginning of time. 87 octane is basically water, super unleaded is more like a real combustible. My Grom works much better with super unleaded 91 octane from 76. This is a fact that I have confirmed. Of course there are vehicles that perhaps don't make a difference, or people that can't tell a difference, hell you could even put straight black petroleum and they will work. Any ways, keep putting your water 87 octane gasoline on your vehicle and I'll put on my bike 91 octane from 76. I agree to disagree with you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i usually do the "kid at the pop fountain" and mix all the octanes together with a few splashes of E85 and can't forget the diesel. Runs great!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts