1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
8,286 Posts
Just from racing and riding with friends that have the Takegawa 181-4v super head I say that is the one to get. Friends with that engine would walk away from my grom even with my BrianS 170 or my Finbro 183 engines. I felt like I was standing still when they took off and I have a pretty fast grom I thought until I rode with them.

The only two other BBK kit grom engine that I thought was worth getting that have bo-Ko power is the Finbro 218-2v stroker and the Finbro 235-2v both using Finbro provided ECM and wire harness, type B 6 hole F/I and the larger gas hose. Boy those engine have a lot of torque but they create a lot of heat and have know to fail due to owners not controlling the heat by having a external oil cooler or having a engine brace to reduce the vibration that engine creates

·
Registered
537 Posts
The Takegawa works. Made in Japan, and high quality. Once I took over control of the timing, I have had 0 issues. I did break a stock crank at 2,000 miles with the Takegawa kit. It had an additional 2,000 miles with the Finbro 183 (4,000 miles total on that crank). I have 2,600 miles on the Takegawa kit, and still have the same cam chain tensioner for all 2,600 miles. It's like the one that Finbro offers.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
You won't be disappointed in the build quality or power. Get a carb, apply GSX's cam chain wheel solution and you'll have a great package.

·
Registered
537 Posts
GSX, if I pull all the additional timing out of the Power Commander, will I be able to get by with 91 octane pump unleaded? The Takegawa 181 4V has a compression ratio of 12.5:1.
I don't know where the factory ecu has the timing set at. I threw it in the trash. I think it's part of the problem.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I ran non ethanol 91/93 with no timing added in my 181 4v. Mixed it 50% with VP T4 for extra octane during break in and making maps just in case I got near detonation.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you are gonna run the koso 34 with a pod type filter, I would suggest you get the silicone intake pipe that Steady Garage makes specifically for that throttle body. Takes a filter with a 2" ID. I especially like the more plenum like shape it has over a standard single diameter intake pipe.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
At this point, I would be inclined to use a PCV/WCB2 and a 34mm throttle body.

Will the K&N R-1100 fit directly onto a 34mm throttle body, or do I need a different air filter for it?
I lost power/ top speed and fuel trims pulled back on my PCV/WB2 when I ran the filter directly on the throttle body. ImageUploadedByHondaGrom.net1470400947.726239.jpg
Do this instead. Go to silicone intakes.com and order 1 135 degree hose, and one aluminum tube. Cut the aluminum tube shorter and fit as pictured, get a K&N from a Chimera, and you're all set. Top speed increase of 3mph or so.
EDIT: K&N RU-2580 is a Chimera filter without the cheesy chrome top, it fits both on the intake pictured and the 34mm throttle body if you're so inclined.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The best I have access to is 91 pump unleaded containing 10% ethanol.

Our riding area is from about 3,000 feet elevation up to about 6,500 feet elevation.
That elevation will help, less air= richer mixture. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but ethanol added does burn cooler and won't detonate as easily, right? I run non ethanol because it makes a bit more power and gas/ethanol mixtures go bad quickly, I've rebuilt many carbs and replaced many fuel pumps because of it.
That being said don't be scared to run ethanol fuel- it won't hurt anything as long as you don't let water get to it or let it sit for long periods.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
What fuel injection?

Is this really what it looks like? Oh my.

For reference, pure ethanol is like 100 RM/2 octane rating, and its auto ignition temp is around 700F. (Normal gas is around 500F) As far as combustion temp... I want to say it burns cooler too, but im just guessing.

Dont Indy cars run Ethanol now?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Also, as a note on the altitude, at higher altitudes, you can use a lower octane. Higher altitude -> less dense air -> less pressure at tdc (from the fixed pressure ratio) -> and less heat produced

For something like this (well on a 'performance' engine), id still stick to the higher octane. Why risk it?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts