Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And how do you plan to correct it?

As excited as I am about getting this bike, I have a list of items that I know I will be changing.

1) Safety stickers

Like all new models this one is covered in warning labels. Those will be the first to go. I have had good results in the past with a hair drier and then I use a little gasoline on a rag to remove the suborn glue.

2) Round front reflectors

Those will be easy to unbolt

3) Seat strap

That too should be easy to remove - normally two bolts under the seat.

4) Lollipop mirrors

Lots of aftermarket mirrors available but I really might go with a set of mirrors from the new CB500F if they are not too over priced.

5) Handlebars

I'm thinking the stock bars are going to be a bit tall and narrow, should be easy enough to replace.

6) THAT GOD AWEFUL REAR FENDER CONTRAPTION.

I know they already make a replacement bracket that eliminates the entire thing. However, I saw a photo somewhere of a Grom that kept the upper most portion of the rear fender and eliminated everything else. It added a little length the the rear of the bike and looked really good. I might be playing with my Dremel before I toss the entire thing in the trash.

Yes, those are all cosmetic issues. I just know for sure I will be changing them. I suspect I will add some performance to the bike but I wont know that for sure until I have spent some time in the saddle.

·
Registered
357 Posts
the seat, slopes forward crushing your willy and gives ya backache, needs to be flatter with the strap removed, other than that, love it!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Dezzie, I have re-modeled a couple of seats in the past. Removed the cover, use a long knife to cut the foam to a different shape and then re-cover with the factor cover. Do you think that might be an option for the Grom?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not a huge fan of the factory hanblebars...a set of risers and pro taper bars should take care of that nicely though.
Also the rear sets...would for sure like to have a nice aftermarket set with plenty of adjustment and to get rid of the passenger foot pegs as i really don't plan any 2up riding.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Not a huge fan of the factory hanblebars...a set of risers and pro taper bars should take care of that nicely though.
Also the rear sets...would for sure like to have a nice aftermarket set with plenty of adjustment and to get rid of the passenger foot pegs as i really don't plan any 2up riding.
I too want to get different bars. Do you know if the risers on the triple clamp are one piece? Or can the unbolt off? Or only way to put 1 1/8 bars is with the adapter for 7/8 to 1 1/8?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hey Dezzie, I have re-modeled a couple of seats in the past. Removed the cover, use a long knife to cut the foam to a different shape and then re-cover with the factor cover. Do you think that might be an option for the Grom?
Its doable, had the seat off but theres not much to chop off, maybe better if more foam added to the front and raised a little, I suggest if ya never gonna take passengers and I expect most wont is to ditch the seat strap altogether, flatten seat more to take the forward slope off, then u have more room to move about, if you want bling, I am sure there a folks with a sewing machine and the knowhow out there who can make some nice ones, was thinking also if I didn't want to use a seat cowl, maybe at some white leather in the passenger half to give the illusion there is one while leaving my seat space in black, this was an option on the seats on my Husqvarna nuda and looked cool, my best buddy owns a car trimmer business and does all the interiors for vw's and campervans etc, did my last dax seat in snakeskin, have some of that material left :) but he could do anything within reason!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm, sounds like if I am not happy with the seat it might be much easier to just go aftermarket. Thanks.:smile:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Other than the things everyone has pointed out already, the only thing that leaves a bad taste in my opinion is the friggen name. I keep saying 'Grom'?

PUNK would have been cool.
(USK: Urban Street Killer) pretty cool.

but thats nothing to really complain about haha.

Maybe even the FROG. Just playing cant wait

·
Registered
75 Posts
I too want to get different bars. Do you know if the risers on the triple clamp are one piece? Or can the unbolt off? Or only way to put 1 1/8 bars is with the adapter for 7/8 to 1 1/8?
Ya I have seen a couple close up shots with aftermarket risers so if nothing changes then we are good to go

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Other than the things everyone has pointed out already, the only thing that leaves a bad taste in my opinion is the friggen name. I keep saying 'Grom'?

PUNK would have been cool.
(USK: Urban Street Killer) pretty cool.

but thats nothing to really complain about haha.

Maybe even the FROG. Just playing cant wait
Agreed. Should have just left well enough alone. MSX125 would have been fine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
+1 on what Dezzie said. It's worth the extra seat height to have a flat seat. I had Sargent flatten two (on a Yamaha XT-225 and my ATK 605DSES) and the result was a much more comfortable seat. On the XT I had to add riser spacers to get the bars up a bit.

What I did was sit the bike up where it was straight up and down and, using a level, measured how much foam need to be added. You also need to make note of the angle of the seat at it's lower edge so when it's up on the bench they can duplicate this angle.

Why do the manufacturers do this? So when you're sitting on the bike in the showroom you'll be able to flat-foot the bike. Even though the Grom sits pretty low they're still trying to appeal to short legged people who can't ride taller bikes. If the Grom came with a flat seat it would end up with around a 32" seat height and would turn off potential buyers who don't know any better.

If you have Sargent flatten your seat they can also widen it slightly and change the foam to your specifications at the same time. Well worth the money!!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol no... I think the size looks perfect. I just wish I could at least sit on one so I can be sure. I have never ridden a street bike of this size. The smallest bike I've had was a CM400.
I had to ask because some guys are actually complaining that it is too big on another forum. Go to your local Yamaha dealer and sit on a TW200. Yes it looks a lot bigger than the Grom but the seat hight is just about the same and the handle bars are within an inch of each other. The Grom looks smaller than it is due to the wheels.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts