Honda Grom banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a BELL Vortex helmet, and I'm looking for a good cleaner/protectant for my clear shield...any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Whatever I have on hand. Windex, 409, Simple Green.

I just use a soft towel, never paper towel.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My AGV K3 visor has some kind of anti-reflective coating so I just use a damp microfiber because supposedly cleaners will damage the coating. It works.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Never use anything on your shield that you wouldn't use on sun/eyeglasses or a TV/monitor screen.

I use Plexus for quick water beading but it's ridiculously expensive. If I want to "degrease" a shield/monitor/my phone I use eyeglass cleaner as it's designed for those really expensive anti-reflection treatments. I use it on my matte finish keyboard and mouse, too.

This is especially true for mirror finish shields. In fact, I only use soap and water on them with a light coat of pure carnauba wax (although I will be the first to admit that this is overkill). The first one I had (years ago) was cleaned with Windex and the mirror finish came off within a week... :x

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I use a spray that we sell at my work and a microfiber towel. If you have a walmart they sell a cleaner in a small bottle that is refillable for free and it is safe for all glasses/shields even with AR coatings. It's only like $3.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Liquid Household cleaning supply Household supply Fluid

No ammonia. Use it on my Versys windshield and helmet visor for years. Does not hurt plastic.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I use those free hand sanitizer cloth dispensers in McDonalds in those dispensing drums provided by EcoLab. Works for the entire helmet plastic. Takes bugs, tar, sap, anything else off. I then take a napkin with a little water from the soda machine and go over it inside and out. I first leaned about this when I parked under a tree that dripped some kind of bug resin on my car. Worked well there too except I bought some and used some gauze squares in that situation. Then one day I stopped in and they were out, so I pulled off the lid and inside was a bunch of liquid, but no towelettes. I asked the manager what they did with that and he said Ecolab takes it away and puts in a new one, so he gave me about a quart of the stuff...enough to fill 2 of the large soda drink containers anyway. Not good to leave that stuff in soda cups so I labeled another container well and keep it in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts