Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you look under your Grom there are 4 screw holes on the bottom frame. One is just behind the oil drain plug, the second is about 8 inches behind that and there are 2 on the left side. It would be possible to screw something into those to attach a plate or platform which extended below the exhaust from which you could use a jack or center stand. I don't know if that is what they are there for though. Anyone know?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Shapeshifter is correct.

·
Registered
942 Posts
those are for the dirt bike style mounting pegs. i was thinking of doin the same thing. and using one of those dirt bike lift stands. i was thinking of maybe even jus screwing in like fram slider looking bars, and even modding the stand to fit into the holes of the ends of the sliders.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So how do those footpegs clear the exhaust? Do you think I could use those to build a platform for a center stand or jack?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AHA! Mounting pegs. Voila. That is what I was hoping for. Thanks. I have been trying to figure out how to do this for 2 months now. Thanks, Fashionrider

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I guess though to make a stable plate since the holes on the right side are not inside the exhaust and the drain plug on the same side and a part that looks like a sensor on the left side are still lower than the screw holes, you would need a small relatively thin plate that bolted to the 4 screw holes, then a vertical piece that was L-shaped to get around and below the exhaust, but just barely, then a larger rectangular plate that extended out to the side for better stability. Then a 3/4 in plywood platform that was not too low so a motorcycle jack could be placed under it...something like that. I bet some of you guys who weld would do this. I would buy one. Any takers? I really want to use my motorcycle jack or center jack. I am still guessing that would balance the bike and raise the entire bike though. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Good luck Shape. Good luck. :haha:

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Any design whatever that resulted in stable flat platform I could attach to the bottom of the bike so I could use my center jack just like with a dirt bike or cruiser or bikes with a skid plate underneath. Exactly how it was designed is not important as long as it cleared the exhaust and other structures in the way and allowed for stability when the bike was raised. Right now you cannot use a motorcycle jack or center jack on the Grom. When your were done, you would unscrew it from the bike.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know. That's plan B. Probably simpler. So how would dealers work on the front? Do they use straps and suspend it form a hoist overhead, jack up the bottom of the forks or some other way I don't know about? Like I said, my triple tree stand doesn't work. There might be some that do, but nobody has said so.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
You might consider a trapeze from the rafters in your garage. I did that with ratcheting tie-downs before I bought a proper motorcycle lift.
Another member here did something similar with a couple of ladders. I have a couple of ladders so will do the same when I swap tires.

Reactions: AJ Nin

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow. Never thought of that. So you use two ladders and a pipe or strong board between that you attach your strap to?

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
I tie it down on the lift table from the forks or pegs (whichever is not in the way of what I'm working on) then support the center with an automotive scissor Jack. I have seen dealer shops do this. Its best to have a proper tire pinch /chalk thing though.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Wow. Never thought of that. So you use two ladders and a pipe or strong board between that you attach your strap to?
Yes exactly. Two ladders - one on each side and a pipe across the top of the bike. He then used tie downs to support both the front and rear off the ground and removed the tires. Two ladders will easily support the Grom.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Dealers use either a lifting table and do one tire at a time.
OR
A gang tree with electric hoist to suspend the bike in the air.

Side note:
Its disconcerting just how many of you have not realized the similarities, and parts swap-ability, between the Grom and pit bikes and old 70-80's mini bikes.
The engine alone has been around since my dad was a young man.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts