Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
The 4k 6k etc are color temps

4300 (I think) is the brightest purest light white

Less then gives yellowish out put, higher like 6000/8000 is when you start gerting blue lights... someone correct me if I'm wrong please

I'm going with 4300 35watt DDM tuning hids, silver star ultras also are nice!

·
Registered
677 Posts
h1 is a single filament bulb. so it would have to be a h4

·
Registered
231 Posts
Our bulbs are H1's I believe, and there just isn't anything out there in the 35W range that is very bright. At least in my search.

·
Registered
236 Posts
H1 limits the power to 35/35w. H4 fits exactly the same and is designed for cars. They can be had in 35/55w.

If you are going with the DDMTuning 35w kit, get the 5000k bulb. It is Snow White. No yellow and not really any hint of blue either. The output is amazing. It is like daylight. The 6000k are a little blue for my preference Ina 35w install. Still better than stock but not as bright as the 5000k.

·
Registered
677 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
The Grom uses an H4 bulb. Buy a 60/55 silverstar ultra and be happy.

4300k, 6000k... k stands for Kelvin... as in absolute temperature.

·
Registered
128 Posts
can you please post pic at night time? i like to see how compare to stock bulb.

it is usa headlight or thai domestic headlight?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would love to get more output from the stock light for pitch black back roads... Anyone try a 55/60w or swap to the projector for a HID kit yet?

·
Registered
955 Posts
I also have the DDM Xenon lights on my BMW R1200GS. They have been working great for 2 years. I don't recommend the xenon lights in non projector headlights as the dispersal pattern of light is not ideal for HID lights and they can be blinding to oncoming traffic. Just make sure you buy the kit with digital ballasts. I had a pair in my car with the normal ones and they failed after 2 years and would intermittently fail to start the bulb when it was cold outside.

For the light temperatures below 4800 Kelvin they get yellow above that they go from blue and near 8000k they are purple or violet. The amount of illumination the eye can detect also diminishes the higher the color temperature.

They also make a 55w kit, but my 35 w DDMs are plenty bright enough. These Chinese kits are not actually too bad and most are exactly the same just with a different sticker on them. I found the DDMs were the cheapest price at the time bought them.

·
Registered
177 Posts
PIAA bulbs are brighter than stock, while only consuming 35w. The trade off is bulb life. It has something to do with the way the filament is made if I recall correctly.

That being said, I haven't owned a bike long enough to wear out a PIAA. Think 2-4 years bulb life instead of 6-8 (My TW has the original bulb in it still, but I found it plenty bright due to the honking huge lens).

Are they worth the price? Definitely. I would stay near 4000-4500k if possible for colour... I found bluer light harder to see in the dark.

Whatever you do, don't run a higher wattage bulb in something not meant for it. It will result in melted harness and/or headlight housing. Not good.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm doing an H4 5500k Xenon conversion after I take delivery. I'll post a how-to thread after I get the kinks worked out. Xenon is definitely the way to go if you want brightness. I do conversions on cars.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts