Honda Grom banner

Weight Concerns

39K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Adam178 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am new to the forum, and ready to deposit some green cash for what I think will be a breakthrough for Honda. Though I feel like a did when I got my first Nintendo 64 on Christmas, I do have some concerns.

I read the through the specifications in the new 2014 Grom thread and noticed there were no weight limits. Also, the post stated this little beast will do nearly 65mph (under ideal conditions im sure).

My concern is that I am 260lbs 5'11'', not fat, not skinny. I have a gut feeling that this bike may not work out. Then I see the rear passenger pegs and I feel some relief, maybe I will be able to ride this thing.

I would really appreciate some insight or details concerning this matter. Thanks guys.

-Dukelheit :D

#2 ·
Pretty sure I saw a capacity of about 315. I have a buddy in UK weighs 213 he cruises at 50 hits 60 and his fastest is 64 w a tail wind. I have the same concern. Im too fat. Too fat for me too fat for this bike too fat period. Dont care. Im getting a grom. As I lose weight it will get faster. :)

#3 ·
My weight and height is about the same. Having grown up with small bikes all my life and still playing with smaller bikes, you may not be able to use it on the highway, but that doesn't mean you can't have some fun. It's a concern of mine as well, but I think I'm going to get one.

#5 ·
I have a ruckus and I weigh 180 and even with my daughter on the back who weighs about 75lbs and I can still hit about 40mph. That's bone stock. So I'm guessing with actual gears and 125cc you should get up to near 60. IMO.

#7 ·
Per the UK owner's manual, "The total weight of accessories and luggage added to rider’s and passenger’s weight should not exceed 154 kg (340 lb), which is the maximum weight capacity." You should be fine.

#9 ·
Yes but it is easier to get to that max w two people. Still even for two 340 is a lot....what 220 for rider and 120 for passenger? That's def two full size adults and I think it is an indication that the Grom was designed for some pretty serious use. It can be way more than a toy.

#11 ·
Some people have longer legs/shorter torsos, etc. I guess it must depend on your bodily proportions.
That all influences how you'll look on a bike. My advice would be to test ride it, regardless of your size, and see for yourself.
search for Honda Grom weight in Google. There are PLENTY of people who are larger than 230lbs and taller than 6' 1" riding them absolutely fine. Honda also designed it to be for rider AND passenger (believe it or not), so it should handle 230lbs fine. If you're worried about the rear suspension there are tons of cheaper (YSS rear shock $150) or expensive (Ohlins ~$400) heavier duty replacements to the stock rear shock, and it takes only minutes to install. Now go get a GROM and enjoy! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.