Honda Grom banner

Was going to wait for used, but...

4K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  banks619 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! So im in a dilemma. My original plan was to wait for next season and see if i can pick up a used grom, but with the apparent limited quantities coming to dealers this year it's not looking so good for a used market. I'm only going to be in the market for another bike next spring anyway. So what are the chances their might even be a used market? If so the resale value is going to be most likely high. What do you guy's think the cost difference would be from new vs used? Also might it be worth trying to buy one in the middle winter new? Im going back to school this fall so id prefer not to get on a waiting list now or try to buy now. Until i have a better idea of where i sit financially, making the transition from full time work to full time student. That being said, I want a grom more then life its self! So what do you guy's think?

#3 ·
There's NO CHANCE you're going to find a used GROM in the first year of being out, imo. People are so jazzed up with these things they might as well be an investment. I don't think they'll depreciate as you drive off the showroom floor like everything else.

But like banks said, sell a kidney, ya only need one.

Reactions: banks619
#5 ·
prolly see them on ebay for 4k+ lol. but really, i get bored with things very quickly and end up selling bikes every few months..... but the GROM, this is one im keeping for a long time. its THE BIKE ive been wanting forever. theyve just not had it here.

#7 ·
I don't believe they are going to go UP in value but good luck finding a used one in the next year or so. The CB250R have only been out a year or so and it did not have the buzz the Grom has. How many used CB250Rs can you find? Matter of fact, how many used one year old bikes can you find period?

#9 ·
When the CBR250R was released in 2011 we had waiting lists for them like many dealers up until they got rolling into 2012. I had many customers sell their's for more than what we were selling them new for, also saw many online that were used listed for crazy prices and selling too.

I don't see a "used market" for these happening for quite a while. Of course a couple will trickle out there from buyers who weren't 100% happy with it etc but I'm betting it'll be in very small #'s.

#10 ·
honestly how much lower do you think the price will be used, when its already pretty low new as it is. i could almost guarentee it only be like 500 off of what they paid. since the dealers are limited also, might even be same price. or what is your buget? or even simpler don't want what you can't afford. maybe jus tell all your frens about it make them all interested, and ride thiers wen they buy theirs.

bake cookies an sell them, maybe do a car wash.

#13 ·
haha Thanks for all the insite guy's. My main reason to looked used was to save all the dealer fee's shipping ect... Also maybe save the cost of the first service. (Any one have an idea how much that might be on this bike? maybe thrown in at sale?) The other thing was, i was looking last year at a cbr250r thinking it would be a good commuter bike, seems to be their are a decent amount of used one's on the market in my area. The price of a used cbr250 seems like the way better deal to me, especially if the first service is done. I feel as tho the grom will sell like hot cakes and everyone will realize how awsome of a bike it is and keep it forever and always haha. For me the hard part is by the time you pay the dealer fees, set up, ect.. and first service you'll most likely be at a quarter or more the cost of the bike, thats a hard pill to swallow. So at worst I'll get a new one next season, the other part of my question was "if" I'll be able to get one next season. The way Froggie made it sound was as if Honda will taper off the amount of groms they are sending here. Im also wanting to wait to find out what insurance cost will be. So the question is "will i be able to get a new one next season?" If so im totally getting a blue one!

Thanks again for answering my ignorant/lame questions haha, just trying to kill time before i do and will buy a grom.

:big smile:

#14 ·
Sounds like you are trying to do the right thing and figure out all of the costs before you jump in. Smart move. But it also sounds like you really can't afford a bike right now. First service is an oil change. It only holds a quart of oil so that is what $2.00? Of course there is other stuff to do like adjust the valves and chain and go over the bike to make sure the stuff that is supposed to be tight is still tight and the stuff that is supposed to me loose is still loose. I work on all my own bikes so all it will cost me is a quart of oil. If you don't know how to do that you will need to pay probably an hour of shop time which is probably about $60 or so. The Grom is gonna need oil change, fresh spark plug and valve check / adjustment about every 2500 miles so take that into consideration. IMO it is a fairly high maint machine. Easy to do but needs to be done often. Call your insurance company and get an accurate quote for the bike. Good luck.

#15 ·
1qt and no filter. even the expensive honda oil its ~$8 a qt. so less than 10 for its first oil change. hell, even if i change it every 1000 miles, ill have $100 into its service at 10k miles.... thats reasonable

#18 ·
On a serious note, The first service, doesn't that have to be done by deal to maintain the warranty? Im fine with checking the valves and adjusting but i wouldn't want to void a warranty over me adjusting the valves. My last bike the first service was 600$ and Im not doing the crap again. Of course thats comparing apples to oranges, ducati vs honda, not really a comparison.

#21 ·
Warranty is only 12 months. Even is you make a mistake on the valve adjustment I would bet it would still run fine until you are past the warranty period anyway.

#22 ·
Whenever I purchased my 2013 Metro the salesman said that I didn't have to bring it in for the 600mile service and said all they do is change the oil and check the valves.. I've only put 180 miles though so it'll be a while before it hits 6 and before then it'll have a 75cc big bore and a ported head, I don't think they'll warranty it anyway lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.