Honda Grom banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Monkey and others
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen contradictory information regarding this.

Takegawa gives you a vacuum port on the intake pipe as well as a port on their air filter(I switched to Uni).

I'd want to avoid pulling oil in there but relieving crankcase pressure so oil doesn't want to come up is my motivation.

Anybody?

·
Registered
85 Posts
What kind of pressure relief you already have? Original, oil filler cap and valve cover?? Seems plenty to me, just set up your oil catch can right so you won’t lose oil.

edit: I’ve looked into some of your pictures. But I can’t see were and to what you blow of/vent your catch can. Maybe that’s your restriction??

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of pressure relief you already have? Original, oil filler cap and valve cover?? Seems plenty to me, just set up your oil catch can right so you won’t lose oil.

edit: I’ve looked into some of your pictures. But I can’t see were and to what you blow of/vent your catch can. Maybe that’s your restriction??
I'll have to see where oil loss happens from.

I have vented valve cap, top rocker cover, and stock case breather.

The catch can has a small diameter port facing the stator side which I connected a uni filter to.

I think Mongerr said his Takegawa oil catch can has the filter to the rear facing port on his. I use that port for the case breather.

I could swap them around and try. Then the narrow port will have to have a reducer to function with the valve cover port as their diameters will be different.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Monkey
148 Posts
I think Mongerr said his Takegawa oil catch can has the filter to the rear facing port on his. I use that port for the case breather.
Depends which side you've mounted the can on lol.

There's 3 ports on one side, 1 port on the other and a baffle in between. You wanna run the lonely port to your intake or filter. On mine it's a breather filter, so the crankcase is independent of the intake.

Sent from my Atom_XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
The vent port/uni filter would ideally be the largest. Because here all the pressure from your other vents come together. I wouldn’t run a tube into your intake, especially not if it is spitting a lot of oil.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I pull vacuum on mine. Use the stock crank vent teed into the oil cap vent and soon to be cam cover vent.

It's either pumping loss from the engine pushing it out, or possible octane loss from burnt oil vapor. As ugly as it is the length of hose seems to be an important factor.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends which side you've mounted the can on lol.

There's 3 ports on one side, 1 port on the other and a baffle in between. You wanna run the lonely port to your intake or filter. On mine it's a breather filter, so the crankcase is independent of the intake.

Sent from my Atom_XL using Tapatalk
If there is a baffle plate front to back(lengthwise) then it would make sense to have the port facing the rear of the bike have the filter.

Think I'll try that.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I rerouted my catch can lines and it looks much cleaner. I was getting oil coming from the valve cover vent going to the bottle and out the breather filter I had hooked up next to it. Now it should flow back to the oil filler vent.

PXL_20210504_163017133.jpg

Going to auto tune some next and then fix the exhaust and get wheel bearings installed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts