Honda Grom banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
The grom has fuel injection...unless you changed that. No idea on e85, though. I would assume we shouldn't make a habit of using it since it gums up car engines pretty well. Interested to hear what anyone else's experience is

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
It would get horrible fuel mileage. You would need a huge injector and fuel pump to support E85, as the power density is less than gasoline. The alcohol is hygroscopic as well, so it'll suck up water and rust the tank. The only benefits I see would be decreased temperatures/knock prevention which is easily managed even with a BBK.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I suppose it would be pretty difficult and not to mention having to fill up all the time...

·
Registered
315 Posts
There are huge advantage running e85, it's basically race gas thats cheap 105 to 113 octane. The down side is your going to use 25% more gas to reach stoiciometric combustion. Many people are going to say it's corrosive to fuel lines but it's just as corrosive as regular gasoline. It can cause inferior plastic and epoxy to swell or unglue (Grom Fuel Pump.)

Ok here's what I think about it for the Grom.
- 9.3:1 compression ratio, not exsactly high compression and it's optimized for 87 octane. Putting higher octane is just wasting money here.
- Plastic and epoxied fuel pump. It can cause damage to this, heck there's already a recall on this from just using regular gasoline.

Possibility to use E85
- Don't know what the compression ratio is for the Finbro but he suggests 100octane or ron... that another debate.
- Upgraded fuel pump to tolerate e85 and flow more fuel.
- larger fuel injector, don't know how big.
- Fuel controller that will add 25% fuel down low and 40% at WOT.

So basically if you plan on running 218cc and a turbo I say go for it, if not just use regular gasoline.

Reactions: Snowynonuts

·
Registered
353 Posts
I run a meth set up in my turbo cars seems more convenient for me at least. (Water methanol injection) It increases the octane rating to equal or more then that of race gas.

Like most of the above people said though not really worth it unless you have a high performance engine and/or running a turbo set up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well being that I do plan on running a 218 BBK and dropping it off at Full Blown maybe its something I'll ask them about.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Well being that I do plan on running a 218 BBK and dropping it off at Full Blown maybe its something I'll ask them about.
We haven't heard about any updates for several months from full blown. Or anybody saying there running FBs kits/motor.

i assume this 218 is Finbro? If so why not ask him?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Definately some issues trying to run e85 if you arent set up for it. I researched this years ago because of the octane. But as you look at the downside its easier to just run race gas, or AV (100LL). Here in AZ there are gas stations where you can buy 100 octane or 110 both unleaded. Av is a different anamal but I have been running it for years in my off road toys and it runs great. I ran it in my kart for a while but stopped due to fuel tech issues. It ran great in my kart. But like any change you have to tune for it.

Ive also run VP MS 98 unleaded in a few of my higher compression machines as it was a spec fuel for one of my racing classes. There are many places (at least here) that stock that fuel and other VP fuels. There are a bunch of suppliers out there. Regardless if your compression is high, gotta have good fuel.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I would assume we shouldn't make a habit of using it since it gums up car engines pretty well.
Source?
Pigman: It's 85% ethanol, 15% gas.

This forum is filled with poor information and bad opinions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We haven't heard about any updates for several months from full blown. Or anybody saying there running FBs kits/motor.

i assume this 218 is Finbro? If so why not ask him?
Yeah as of right now it would be a Finbro kit but I've heard a few other companies are producing potentially bigger BBK's. I'm also in pretty close contact with Full Blown so I plan on contacting the owner soon to see what the deal is with their Grom kits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts