Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm looking for a used grom, I know when new they went for $3000 to maybe $3200 plus fee's, tax and tags. Now everyone who buys a bike new or used has to pay tax and tags so those $$$ should be off the table when pricing used. My problem is this, Why does everyone who is trying to sell a grom (most of them are hacked up and abused anyway) think that the destination and prep fees should be passed on to the 2nd owner? People asking $3000 plus for a used grom is out of control. And another thing, when any of us add aftermarket stuff to our bikes we usually do not get that money back when reselling, these groms for sale with after market this and that are tagging those cost onto their used groms as well. I just can figure people out. 2014's and 2015's are 3 and 4 years old already, news flash, they are not worth today what they were when you bought it new.

·
Registered
683 Posts
They are exactly worth what a buyer and a seller agree upon is the value. Craigslist and cycle trader are littered with bikes that I would never buy as I don't see the asking value. Best way to buy a used bike is to go see it and whip out a wad of cash for what you feel is a fair deal and the reasons why you believe it's fair. If you can't agree on a price then bounce.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are exactly worth what a buyer and a seller agree upon is the value. Craigslist and cycle trader are littered with bikes that I would never buy as I don't see the asking value. Best way to buy a used bike is to go see it and whip out a wad of cash for what you feel is a fair deal and the reasons why you believe it's fair. If you can't agree on a price then bounce.
Yep, been there done that. I've bought and sold more than my share of used motorcycles on craigslist and never ran into this before. Hard to believe people are asking what they paid for it 2 or 3 years ago now, even that its used. Having cash ready to jump on the first good deal I find. Just missed out on a 15 with 168 miles on it for $2700, others will pop up, i'll keep looking.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I believe a lot of the Grom early adopters paid a hefty premium and they still believe they are going out-the-door for that much. CL in my area has a bunch of used Grom's on it. I know I could get one new from a dealer for what they are asking for used once you factor is the tax on a used one. Probably why I see the same bikes listed for months and months. The used market is lagging behind the new market.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I got a black 2015 about 200 miles on it bone stock $2,300. Got a 2015 about 2,000 miles full exhaust two brothers. Cold air intake with K&N air filter and controller red bike $2,500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe a lot of the Grom early adopters paid a hefty premium and they still believe they are going out-the-door for that much. CL in my area has a bunch of used Grom's on it. I know I could get one new from a dealer for what they are asking for used once you factor is the tax on a used one. Probably why I see the same bikes listed for months and months. The used market is lagging behind the new market.

Good point, when the grom first came out they were hard to find in stock new. Yep, a bunch here have been listed for quite a while.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a black 2015 about 200 miles on it bone stock $2,300. Got a 2015 about 2,000 miles full exhaust two brothers. Cold air intake with K&N air filter and controller red bike $2,500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patients will get me there. I'm looking for bone stock. Need exhaust to be quite because i'm going to use it when camping, dont want it to be loud running around in the campgrounds.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Yeah, something about Groms where people think they get full retail value out of a used bike. I've owned a bunch of bikes over the last 20 years, and none of them are like this. Only forum and classified sections where I see used prices the same as new prices. I've never seen this on any other bike page I've been on. They always say, well it cost more than $3,200 from a dealer because you have to pay taxes, fees, etc. Well, duh, WTF do you think I have to pay when I take your $3,200 used Grom to the DMV to put in my name?! I gave up and bought new.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Craigslist - 2015's used going for $3000 in the Hudson Valley. Someone recently listed a 2017 with 600 mi. for 3k. I ended up buying a new 2017 for 3750 otd.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Craigslist - 2015's used going for $3000 in the Hudson Valley. Someone recently listed a 2017 with 600 mi. for 3k. I ended up buying a new 2017 for 3750 otd.
I'm in no rush, So waiting as the season comes to an end i'm hoping I can find a good used one for 2500 with low miles. And in the mean time I still have a VTX1300 and a ruckus to ride.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Do the old smile and dial technique -- call or email every dealer within 150 mile radius and tell them you will be purchasing a Grom from a dealer that gives you the best price in the next 2 weeks for cash and you want an OTD price. If they won't give you an OTD price by email tell them they have zero chance of selling you a bike. I have done this with multiple vehicle purchases over the years and most dealers don't have a problem doing it as they have very little time involved in making the sale. You will be amazed at how competitive they can get.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do the old smile and dial technique -- call or email every dealer within 150 mile radius and tell them you will be purchasing a Grom from a dealer that gives you the best price in the next 2 weeks for cash and you want an OTD price. If they won't give you an OTD price by email tell them they have zero chance of selling you a bike. I have done this with multiple vehicle purchases over the years and most dealers don't have a problem doing it as they have very little time involved in making the sale. You will be amazed at how competitive they can get.
Just sent out about 15 emails. Lets see where that gets me. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So it gets better every day. Guy with a 2015 all stock 600 miles wants $3500. Another guy with a 2015 has damage to front headlight, turn signal and instrument panel cover wants $2700. And last but not least a guy with a 2015 that has 24,000 miles wants $3000. Is it just me or are these people out of their minds.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Groms are selling faster than honda is shipping them out, and if you want one now you're going to have to pay up. Supply and demand applies to "used" products just as much as new. I don't think many people who have groms are selling them, and there are plenty of buyers who will buy at are near MSRP even for a used Grom in fresh condition - why do you think anyone should sell them for less? Would you?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Groms are selling faster than honda is shipping them out, and if you want one now you're going to have to pay up. Supply and demand applies to "used" products just as much as new. I don't think many people who have groms are selling them, and there are plenty of buyers who will buy at are near MSRP even for a used Grom in fresh condition - why do you think anyone should sell them for less? Would you?
The Grom was so oversupplied in the USA to the point Honda didn't have a 2016 model release here. The Grom is still a very popular bike, but demand has caught up with supply. This doesn't mean that your local stealership is going to try to take advantage of the uneducated, got-to-have-it now buyer, but the fact is there is plenty of inventory, plenty of negotiating room on price, and plenty of used Grom's that are not selling because of the asking price.

Your area may be different, but overall the market supply and demand has normalized, and prices will follow for those who are serious about selling a bike versus listing it for months and months on end.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts