Honda Grom banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone looked into the anf125 as a cheaper option for a higher torque starter motor. Recently installed a 186cc bbk and the oem starter seems to not have enough to kick it over from time to time. 40 bucks sounds alot better then 130 for a starter.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Has anyone looked into the anf125 as a cheaper option for a higher torque starter motor. Recently installed a 186cc bbk and the oem starter seems to not have enough to kick it over from time to time. 40 bucks sounds alot better then 130 for a starter.
never had any problem with the stock starter on both of my groms and I've BBK kit both of them from 170cc-2v, to 183-2v, and now 181-4v Takegawa setup but this engine has a de-compressor as part of the cam.

The only real problem I had on one of my grom is the starter clutch went out and I had to replace it.

For some of my friends who had the BBK kit Finbro 183-2v, 235-2v and 204-4v they would roll their groms and turn the engine over in gear till they got passed the compression stroke and then started their engine using the starter.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
never had any problem with the stock starter on both of my groms and I've BBK kit both of them from 170cc-2v, to 183-2v, and now 181-4v Takegawa setup but this engine has a de-compressor as part of the cam.

The only real problem I had on one of my grom is the starter clutch went out and I had to replace it.

For some of my friends who had the BBK kit Finbro 183-2v, 235-2v and 204-4v they would roll their groms and turn the engine over in gear till they got passed the compression stroke and then started their engine using the starter.
Yeah, that's what I end up doing. But it's not my favorite thing, I enjoy being able to just hit the button and it fires right up haha.

·
Registered
234 Posts
First-hand experience - the Kitaco starter will struggle on the compression stroke nearly as much as the stock one; even with a Shorai Lithium battery. I'm running a 181 cc NEO kit.

The correct way to start a BBK is shift to 2nd gear and roll the bike back until the rear tire seizes. If you stall it, do this again.

If you don't do this, you will either run the stock battery dead (FAST), burn the starter up (if you hold the starter switch without any cranking taking place), or just get frustrated. You can start it by feathering the starter until you hit the right position on the crank... but I normally reserve that method for green light stalls in traffic.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First-hand experience - the Kitaco starter will struggle on the compression stroke nearly as much as the stock one; even with a Shorai Lithium battery. I'm running a 181 cc NEO kit.

The correct way to start a BBK is shift to 2nd gear and roll the bike back until the rear tire seizes. If you stall it, do this again.

If you don't do this, you will either run the stock battery dead (FAST), burn the starter up (if you hold the starter switch without any cranking taking place), or just get frustrated. You can start it by feathering the starter until you hit the right position on the crank... but I normally reserve that method for green light stalls in traffic.
Thanks for the insight. I'm curious if I should just snag a new battery instead and just live with rolling the bike.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Throw a meter across your battery terminals.
Note the voltage.
With the meter still attached, start the machine and note the voltage drop.

A weak battery will have a severe drop in voltage when you start the machine. Not so much with a good battery.

You can also attempt to find a battery that has more CCA or a larger capacity. This will help the battery live longer when asked to perform to it's upper limits.

You can see my specs in my signature. I am still on the stock battery.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The stock battery is fine if you roll back in 2nd gear with a BBK before starting. If you don't do this, you will drain the stock battery in minimal start attempts.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Throw a meter across your battery terminals.
Note the voltage.
With the meter still attached, start the machine and note the voltage drop.

A weak battery will have a severe drop in voltage when you start the machine. Not so much with a good battery.

You can also attempt to find a battery that has more CCA or a larger capacity. This will help the battery live longer when asked to perform to it's upper limits.

You can see my specs in my signature. I am still on the stock battery.
When I can get to the bike again I'll have to check it out (father is currently being self quarantined til the 20th) thanks for the input there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The stock battery is fine if you roll back in 2nd gear with a BBK before starting. If you don't do this, you will drain the stock battery in minimal start attempts.
So I keep hearing haha. I just hate the idea of having to do that anytime I want to the start the bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts