Honda Grom banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was riding today and the high was 37 F and the windchill was 25 F. I went about 12 miles. I wear jeans, a T-shirt, then sweater, then leather jacket, then a carhart. Helmet with bandana under to keep air off my face. And gauntlet gloves. My hands get the coldest. Sometimes I’ll put cotton gloves under the gauntlets and that helps.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
... this is why i also have a fully faired touring bike. lol. however, 42-45 on a naked bike is about it. its nice to have options.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I've ridden in freezing and subfreezing temps more than I'd like to admit - at a certain point its just nor safe/worth it. Near the end of a Wisconsin winter, I discovered a literal CRACK in my front tire.

Heated grips are a must. Thermal baselayers top and bottom. I used to wear two pairs of long johns under my jeans and boots. I aimed for at least 3 layers under my jacket, then a windbreaker over my jacket. Super thick neck gaiter, and don't breathe too heavily inside the helmet or you'll blind yourself.

God, I am SO glad I moved back to California.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Use to do down to 25 degrees in Wisconsin/Illinois/Indiana with snow present I'd ride the cruiser but I was young and still had circulation in my toes and fingers, lol. Now I'll do about 40 degrees on a naked bike but I'm bundled with merino wool base layers and heated gear. Any lower than 40 I'll always be behind the fairing of my street glide with the lower fairings also installed.

Same as Nectar I'm now in San Diego and I'm definitely being spoiled with the year round riding season here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's going to be slightly overcast tomorrow, but no rain or snow (it snowed today). High is 43 (windchill 39). I'll be out and about again. If there isn't rain or snow, and the temp (not windchill) isn't below freezing. i'm good to go.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I was just out "driftin'" my Grom.30F and snowing.Forgot and grabbed the front brake.That was exciting.
lol, always is. I'm going to miss the snow this season. I'm a bit sad about it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use layers, top being wind breaker and stay on lower MPH streets to min the wind. I try to stay above freezing and make sure it's not wet.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
When I had the studded tires on mine, id do basically any temp. <0F is where i would start to reconsider, but would probably go anyway for fun.
Id normally just throw on a pair of long underwear (or soft pajama pants) under my jeans, a good pair of winter gloves (for skiing or snowmobiling), a thick jacket, and a balaclava.
Full face helmet too, obviously.

Dont skimp on the balaclava, without this, your chin and face are going to be frozen. ive got a klim arctic (https://www.klim.com/Arctic-Balaclava-5037-000) and for someone who will spend 4-5 hrs on a snowmobile between long indoor stops, ive never had an issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts