Honda Grom banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new underseat tool kit! Based on having stripped the top end a few times, I think I've got everything I need here. The only things to add are a new spark plug, and maybe some wire joiners and electrical tape. I've got nearly everything else.
Main kit (from left to right):
~Two 3ft luggage strap, plus bungee net.
~double sided stubby ratchet, 1/4 and 3/8 drive.
~double ended screwdriver (stock tool)...
~3/8 ratchet with longer handle.
~Two large jay cloths.
~8mm and 10mm 1/4 sockets, plus extension.
~1/4 adaptor for large impact driver bit (good for stuck screws)
~Two hex keys (large for bar clamps, smaller for all other screws)
~12, 10, and 8mm ratchet spanners, plus an 8/9mm spanner.
~Tiny multi-tool (pliers, cutter, knife, flat+cross driver, saw, torch)
~19, 17, 14, and 12mm sockets, plus 16mm spark plug socket.
~[all above happen to be 1/4, so a 3/8 to 1/4 adaptor is included]
~10mm hex key for crank end plug.
~bundle of zip ties.
~Adjustable spanner.

To fit all this in was quite easy, the only hard bit being the blasted Adjustable.
The two wrenched were wrapped in the jay cloths and fitted into the side of the tail fairings, as were the straps. The larger sockets, adjustable, 10mm hex, and spanners went into the bag with the bungee net and were attached to bottom of seat. Most other things were in tool kit. The multitool sat next to this.

This should cover most things. For a long holiday etc, I'd shove some tyre levers, a 12" inner tube (just to get me home), a new chain, and a tub of engine oil into one of my throw overs.. Auto part Suspension Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Car

·
Registered
231 Posts
Nice piece of kit there. I wouldn't worry about the extra tube though. These tires are tubeless. A nice repair kit would be handy though. :wink:

·
Registered
918 Posts
God damn. I guess you rather be safe than sorry? Lol

Sent from the refrigerator using HondaGrom.net mobile app.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Holy. Shit. That's gotta be near 15-20 pounds! Not for me. But good for you fitting all that stuff!

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Looks like you put together a really complete kit. Good job.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Its not a GY6 engine ;)

But yea, my vote is for my AAA card, Cell phone, and a Leatherman.

Having "been there" though, i do think that as part of a tool kit for a long trip, i'd bring a spare chain master link, or a whole new chain even... hahaha!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
15-20 pounds? Nah, more like 4-5 at most. Look at the size of the stubby ratchet to give you an idea of scale. The full set of tools weighs far less them my leather jacket. Most of the small ones went in the old tool pouch, and the multitool and zip ties next to it. The ratchets and cloths went down each side of the tail section, as did the straps. The sockets and spanners went in the bag with the bungee net attached to bottom of seat on top of the breakdown card and manual. What do I think will go wrong? Don't know, but it's nice having the tools there in case I need to do any tinkering. I also don't have a garage, just an open carport, so it's as good a place as any to keep the tools. This all said, I did break down last night - I haven't stripped it yet, but the engine tired to seize and was puffing smoke from the pipe, so doesn't look good. Whilst I could have had the head and barrel off, I was told it would just be an hour for the flat bed, so I opted to wait. Then it was two hours, dark, and they sent a roadside van FFS. It took 4 HOURS for a proper van to be sent, and then I didn't get home for an hour. I only lived about 10 miles away. I could have bloody walked it home in that time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
15-20 pounds? Nah, more like 4-5 at most. Look at the size of the stubby ratchet to give you an idea of scale. The full set of tools weighs far less them my leather jacket. Most of the small ones went in the old tool pouch, and the multitool and zip ties next to it. The ratchets and cloths went down each side of the tail section, as did the straps. The sockets and spanners went in the bag with the bungee net attached to bottom of seat on top of the breakdown card and manual. What do I think will go wrong? Don't know, but it's nice having the tools there in case I need to do any tinkering. I also don't have a garage, just an open carport, so it's as good a place as any to keep the tools. This all said, I did break down last night - I haven't stripped it yet, but the engine tired to seize and was puffing smoke from the pipe, so doesn't look good. Whilst I could have had the head and barrel off, I was told it would just be an hour for the flat bed, so I opted to wait. Then it was two hours, dark, and they sent a roadside van FFS. It took 4 HOURS for a proper van to be sent, and then I didn't get home for an hour. I only lived about 10 miles away. I could have bloody walked it home in that time.
That does not sound good news!! - you still running the Big Bore from Faddy Bikes Germany?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Currently the kit that I have put together for $8 from Harbor Freight consists of 4 in 1 screwdriver and 8,10,12,14,17,19 combo wrenches. I'm going to add a couple of hex keys and I think I will be able to make any necessary adjustments I want while on the road.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Not good. Let us know what happened when you can.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Slightly melted psiton, the bits between the top two rings had deformed slight on one side, opposite to where it had been polished by the detonation. No other damage. Just swapped original bits back on, and it runs fine. I now know when next riding with a new tune to carry stock bits in my usual rucksack, along with a small jug for oil. Problem solved. I now also know that the stock bike runs fine without head or base gasket, since I had neither left intact. The base I'd already removed, and the head I'd bored out to 58mm (155cc). I've ordered new 58mm piston and rings from Honda. I've going to have a play with the piston crown shape. Worth a try, since I know that the higher comp set up doesn't automatically cause the detonation (because the stock is fine).

·
Registered
335 Posts
So, did everyone get their "handy-dandy" mini tool kit with their Groms? When I removed my seat the other day I discovered it was MIA. Is it just me?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts