Honda Grom banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing special but figured I might mention itanyway: 800 relaxed Monkey miles in a week on Swedish back roads staying at B&B's. Eva's bike on Pirelli SL60 knobblies and my bike on Heidenau road tires. Both worked on all surfaces - both gravel and tarmac - but we found the Pirellis to provide more comfort while the Heidenaus gave sharper response. Light luggage in tank sack plus backpack, as always we brought too much. No dramas at all, we settled at cruising at 40-50 mph, logging 100 miles a day. No oil consumption or chain tensioning required, so we're very impressed with these little bikes. The big difference from our regular bike trips was the lack of stress and social ice breaker that these bikes turned out to be. Hurry just ceased to exist as thers nothing you can do about it - you arrive when you arrive, simple as that. And no stop could be conducted without friendly questions and comments. Brilliant.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amazing in the sense how capable these bikes really are as travel companions. Three observations: First, dropping the front tyre pressure a bit (0,1 bar on the Pirellis and 0,2 bar on the Heidenaus) balanced the tyre temperatures (with stock pressure the front tyres ran cooler than the rears) and improved the riding comfort significantly. Second, an Oxford throttle assist was invaluable to combat wrist fatigue. Third, 10W30 (in my bike) or 10W40 (in Eva's bike) made no noticeable difference - vibration, speed and running temps felt equal (Motul in both cases).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A Panther 350 - belonging to a relative we visited along the route - proved to be perfect company to the Monkeys in terms of speed, manageability and road preferences (narrow, twisty and gravel/tarmac). The Panther however leaked lots - oil, petrol and air - whereas the Monkeys didn't :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The perhaps most interesting part of the trip was a few days spent following Dalslands kanal,
a historic canal system with 31 locks, built 1864-1868. It is still in use, although some locks are today electrically operated. Pictured: a German pair doing this first time ever. In a canoe. With an audience. But all went well

·
Registered
20 Posts
im no expert, but is that front tire on the yellow monkey mounted backwards? looks opposite from the rear tire in the pic.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The front tire does get mounted backwards on a motorcycle, because it is expected to handle most of the deceleration as opposed to the rear tire which handles all the acceleration.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Very cool trip. I am waiting for Honda to release the CT110 for my European tour :), but I'm impressed by your Monkey touring. I'll have to add some of your locations to my list. Thanks for sharing.

Rob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow! Here I sit in the broiling heat of Central Florida! Hardly any corners to play in or on and flat as a board! Love those pictures! Keep them coming, this is my kind of cruise!
Monkeys and road trips are kind of like the Piper Cub of the skies. Basic and fun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Our Panther 350 relative joined us for a few days on our Honda dealer's demo Monkey. Weather looked most promising in the very south of Sweden, so that's where we went. This part is rich with history and you run into old castles, roads and constructions everywhere. This bridge south of Östra Sönnarslöv has not been in use for a hundred years but remains part of the landscape. And useful for a nice picture.

As miles accumulate beyond the official running in (500 km or 300 miles) the Monkeys seem to only get better - our bikes with now have done 2500 km (1500 miles) feel quicker and smoother than before and also compared to the demo with 800 km (500 miles) on the clock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last day of the trip someone waved frantically from a driveway in Tollarp. Turned out this guy had two Z50s in the garage. Photo session of course. I realised just how faithful these new Monkeys are to the original.

Last stop: the preserved Caltex gas station in the village of Mörarp, built in 1936 and run until it closed in 1981 by Carl Westberg whose name is still displayed on the front. For many years this was the village hub, open from dawn to dusk selling gas, spares, tools, mopeds and servicing everything with an engine. For a period also running a taxi service. Today a sleepy remnant of a time long gone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts