Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sweet lawd almighty! Can an exhaust be any louder? I ordered a DB Killer, will that bring it down enough to not wake up the dead? I've run Kerker and Yosh pipes on other bikes, but sweet jazuus, this thing is loud. It gave me a headache, just going to top off the tank. I really hope this DB Killer helps, or it has to go.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I wish I could hear the Hindle in person. I’m pretty much a solo Gromer. The only friend I know with a Grom lives 1200 miles away and his bike is currently bone stock.

I think my Anodizing Racing pipe is loud sometimes, but when I read about the Hindle, it makes me think my pipe is quiet by comparison. The Hindle must be like a Falcon 9 rocket in boost phase.

There is a thread where people are discussing removing their Hindle pipes, because the noise is just too much. I think it was dubSolo that said that when he installed the dB killer in his Hindle it reduced his top speed by something like 6mph.

I was kind of starting to consider one, but man, I don’t know if I could handle the additional noise. I ride through a lot of nice neighborhoods. I feel kind of bad with how loud my bike is now. That’s too bad, the Hindle is a great looking pipe and the performance seems unmatched.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The Hindle is Ridiculous, I love it! Where do you live?

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I wish I could hear the Hindle in person. I’m pretty much a solo Gromer. The only friend I know with a Grom lives 1200 miles away and his bike is currently bone stock.

I think my Anodizing Racing pipe is loud sometimes, but when I read about the Hindle, it makes me think my pipe is quiet by comparison. The Hindle must be like a Falcon 9 rocket in boost phase.

There is a thread where people are discussing removing their Hindle pipes, because the noise is just too much. I think it was dubSolo that said that when he installed the dB killer in his Hindle it reduced his top speed by something like 6mph.

I was kind of starting to consider one, but man, I don’t know if I could handle the additional noise. I ride through a lot of nice neighborhoods. I feel kind of bad with how loud my bike is now. That’s too bad, the Hindle is a great looking pipe and the performance seems unmatched.
I love the hindles performance and looks. I hate installing it and dread every time I have to remove it. The sound sounds great but is obnoxiously loud.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I love the hindles performance and looks. I hate installing it and dread every time I have to remove it. The sound sounds great but is obnoxiously loud.
What is difficult about installing it?
The Hindle is Ridiculous, I love it! Where do you live?
Will you or dubSolo attend the MotoAmerica race in Birmingham this year? It’s September 18-20. I will probably be there, as long as they allow spectators. You never know with this Covid crap. I went last year. There were tons of Groms there. All appeared bone stock that I saw. It was my first time at Barber. I didn’t know everyone would bring their bikes to get around on. If the weather is good, I will bring my Grom this time.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I am not sure if I will go or not, never been but have wanted to go for years. I was really looking forward to Barber Small Bore. Surely you are not 1200 miles from Birmingham if you went last year. I'm about 3.5 to 4 hours south of there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As much as I liked the TBR Hurricane full exhaust, I took it back off. I'm going to wait till after I get about 1000-miles on the Grom. I did order the DB Killer, so I'll be anxious to see if that tames the noise enough to make it tolerable.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
What is difficult about installing it?
The part that attaches to the head. The pipe bulges out so you can’t get a sticker on the nuts to tighten it down. You have to use a wrench and the nuts hit the pipe making it difficult to spin the nuts. You can tug down on the pipe to make room to clear the nuts but then it’s hard as hell to push the pipe back up to seat it. I’m constantly fighting that stupid thing. Super annoying. Plus the pipe scratched very easy so if you’re not paying attention you’ll scratch the pipe which I’ve done a few times. It pisses me off to no end.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The part that attaches to the head. The pipe bulges out so you can’t get a sticker on the nuts to tighten it down. You have to use a wrench and the nuts hit the pipe making it difficult to spin the nuts. You can tug down on the pipe to make room to clear the nuts but then it’s hard as hell to push the pipe back up to seat it. I’m constantly fighting that stupid thing. Super annoying. Plus the pipe scratched very easy so if you’re not paying attention you’ll scratch the pipe which I’ve done a few times. It pisses me off to no end.
Wow, I see what you are saying. Maybe my $87 Anodizing Racing amazon pipe is not so bad...lol. At one time they were as cheap as $79, but currently cost about a $100. It flows much better than stock. It is brushed, so you can touch up scratches or baked on oily fingerprints anytime you like with sand paper. Looks brand new when you are done.
I am not sure if I will go or not, never been but have wanted to go for years. I was really looking forward to Barber Small Bore. Surely you are not 1200 miles from Birmingham if you went last year. I'm about 3.5 to 4 hours south of there.
Yeah, I wanted to go to Barber Small Bore too. I really wanted to do some parade laps on the track there.

Barber is really nice. I think the MotoAmerica race is worth the trip. Watching those bikes scream by at 180+ mph is pretty cool. I met Cameron Jones there in the paddock. He was racing in the Junior Cup. He is a really nice guy. We spoke for quite a while. You can tell he is super passionate about tuning bikes.

It’s only a couple hours away. You live maybe 6 hours from me. The only time I make it that far south is when we are going to the beach. Like the “30A” area.

·
Registered
269 Posts
As much as I liked the TBR Hurricane full exhaust, I took it back off. I'm going to wait till after I get about 1000-miles on the Grom. I did order the DB Killer, so I'll be anxious to see if that tames the noise enough to make it tolerable.
Sorry to hijack your thread. Me, Phoenix, and Ninelives17 seem bad about that...lol. I‘m interested to know if the dB killer will make your pipe more bearable. Some people have removed loud pipes, because they felt like it just made the bike less enjoyable.

Some guys seem to like their bikes as loud as possible. An aftermarket intake will add even more noise on top of the exhaust noise.

I hate intake noise, so I prefer a modified airbox. With exhaust, I like to find just the right balance of deep, loud, throatiness, but not be unpleasant. I’m not a fan of the stock, almost scooter-like sound.

I currently have the baffle installed on my pipe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No worries. It’s all informative, one conversation leads to another, and brings up new info. The TBR is just too loud for me. I’ll try it again with the DB Killer, if it doesn’t make it tolerable, I’ll have to sell it or swap it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
No worries. It’s all informative, one conversation leads to another, and brings up new info. The TBR is just too loud for me. I’ll try it again with the DB Killer, if it doesn’t make it tolerable, I’ll have to sell it or swap it.
Yeah, sometimes you just have to try stuff to see what works for you.

·
Registered
479 Posts
You must not be too far from the Tail of the Dragon. I wanna take a trip up there, but it is a LONG way for me. I've been several times in various cars, never on a bike.

Reactions: Pedro de Gromo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've ridden the Dragon many times since 1997. Couple of different bikes over the years. I prefer riding the Dragon in the early Fall. It gets way to crowded in the spring and summer. Riding in the Fall mid-week is the best time. Just about every state has a section of road similar, you just have to find it. I have my favorite roads in Virginia along the BRP, that I miss since retiring to South Carolina.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Not far. Could ride there weekly if I really wanted. Plenty of other good riding that is closer. I mostly go out for about a 2 hour rip session, then come home. I don’t travel as far from the house as I used to.

I’ve driven it in an AWD Subaru, but not ridden it on a motorcycle. I may go later this year. My friend that lives 1200 miles away in Colorado may come home to see his family for about 6 months this Fall/Winter. He will want to ride the Dragon for sure.

We both may install big bore kits while he is here too. He needs a big bore kit for Colorado. Too weak at high altitude. People drive fast in the mountains there. The Grom is largely useless where he lives.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I would think a high compression piston would do wonders to help with the altitude. DHM has them on sale for 120 bucks. :) I also have a Subaru, 2005 Legacy GT Wagon, Manual trans 324 AWHP. It has made several Dragon passes.

Reactions: Pedro de Gromo

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would think a high compression piston would do wonders to help with the altitude. DHM has them on sale for 120 bucks. :) I also have a Subaru, 2005 Legacy GT Wagon, Manual trans 324 AWHP. It has made several Dragon passes.
He has had his Grom since last year and hasn’t even bothered to register it...lol. He took it out for a test ride around his small town, said it was too weak for him. If he doesn’t do something to make it more powerful, he will sell it. He claims it will only go 45mph at 7000 ft. It’s not uncommon to be at 10,000-12,000ft on the mountain passes. People drive 60-70mph between some of those mountain towns.

I may or may not have observed a Yamaha WR250 and WR450 at 90+mph on some downhills coming off those passes...lol. A 2-stroke KTM 300XC-W seemed to fall on its face at about 80mph-ish...I mean, or so I’m told.

The Grom is not an ideal bike for where he lives, but could work with modifications. He has a pile of motorcycles, so he is usually on dirt bikes or adventure bikes anyway.

Dude, I bet your Subaru freakin’ rips. I’ve driven a few turbo Subarus. They are fun cars. Mine is stock. It’s my beater. I keep it only to haul kayaks, paddleboards, muddy mountain bikes and usually a wet, stinky dog. Haha. We’ve since moved on to other vehicles, but the dog was the number one reason we’ve kept that car. We’ve maintained the car well over the years, but I drive the piss out of it.

I have severe, semi-debilitating, OCD. It’s exhausting. It’s so nice having a car that I don’t worry at all about. It’s my favorite car. No joke. I’ve watched people door ding it while looking out the window at a restaurant. I could care less. Everybody and their brother has dented that damn car. It’s perfect.

Now the Grom, I obsess over it...lol. It looks showroom new. My other personal vehicle stays nearly perfect too.

Do your head gaskets leak? Mine have been replaced twice. Currently not leaking, but they will again at some point. What’s up with that, Subaru?

·
Registered
479 Posts
The SOHC cars are an open deck design, rough on gaskets. My DOHC is a semi closed deck, I replaced the head gaskets at 160,000 miles. I have 195,000 miles on it now, last dyno was at 190,000.
20200219_122748.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts