Honda Grom banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard today that someone locally in Colorado Springs is in the process of developing a turbo kit for the Grom. Picked a Grom up from the same dealer as mine a few days before me for the fit and testing.

Would be cool except I bet it costs as much as the Grom.:wink:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Turbos, pipes and bends are the easy part. Engine management is where the rubber hits the road. It will definitely need a larger injector as well.

Don't tempt me with these things. I can't leave anything alone. I have usually voided any warranty on a new vehicle withing a few weeks of ownership so this is right up my alley. They will need to sort out the fueling and timing maps without shelling your bike so be aware of this. You could end up with a bricked Grom. If you are up for it, my hat is off to you. Reasonable cost for this system would be $1k non-intercooled. That should be enough to cover pipe bends, flanges, basic turbo and an engine management box as long as they aren't trying to build their own.

Other things that you would need to have in this kit would be a proper oil cooler to add extra volume. Stock compression is on the ragged edge of what I would use for a turbo engine. 8-8.5:1 is better but would mean using a thicker headgasket or a different dished piston. I would be curious to know if the stock fuel system would provide enough pressure and volume to overcome the boost and still be effective.

Lots to find out about this but I would be in for something that knocks out 10 psi of boost. What I can't say is how many guys would spend and extra grand to make their toy faster but less reliable.

Keep me posted for sure!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm mostly interested because I live at a mile high. $1,000 would likely be my cutoff point. And it would need to be dead reliable.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I can think of several different ways to drop $1000 on this bike than a turbo kit.

Much of this is long since figured out in the z50 and pit bike crowd. What I'm waiting for is strictly efi natured.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
That was me your dealer is talking about. I have several fueling options I am working on and hope to have something for next season. We have alot of experience making turbos work at elevation and have an in house dyno. The name of our shop is Next Level Powersports and James from Grape Street Garage is my brother. I agree with TBOT that EFI system listed above is garbage. We have used them and still have a Turbo Polaris RZR 170 that is running it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Microsquirt.

Its a closed loop system with a 1-wire oxygen sensor and only a CKP. Its not THAT smart.

Unless your whizbang EFI system is adding sensors, like a knock, MAP, or a ubiquitous wideband, then you're barking up the wrong tree.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There are other options out there besides mircrosquirt...and we can add datalogging, traction control, timing control, open loop tuning,anti lag, 2 step and the list goes on and on. The trick is finding something that works good at a decent price.

For me the hardest part will be packaging the system in a way that doesn't look stupid. There isn't allot of room to work with.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Pretty sure I would buy this as a kit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using HondaGrom.net mobile app

1 - 20 of 30 Posts