Honda Grom banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently made some modifications to my Grom and would like to maximize its performance based on the upgrades.

Here is what I was seeing with no modifications
My Weight and Height: 170 5ft 6inTop Speed: 60 MPH
Conditions: Wind Calm, flat stretch of road, full tuck at WOT

Here is what I was seeing with Full Exhaust pieced together (D&H SS Header & Hotbodies MGB Growler) and Chimera Intake:
Top Speed: 64 MPH
Conditions: Wind calm, same road, slight tuck at WOT. If I did do another run riding fully tucked. I think I could have gotten another 2 MPH.

Here is what I am currently seeing with added DCR Cam and Valve Adjustment (My first time doing Valves and set the gap to .0025 for both intake and exhaust since I saw a few others set theirs to these settings. DCR recommended .002 and .003) Also Dobeck Performance AFR+. AFR+ Settings were per Dobeck Performance recommened settings for Grom listed on website:
Top Speed: 58 MPH
Conditions Slight head wind, same road, slight tuck at WOT.

Details: This was my first time ever doing these modificaitons and tuning a bike. I was only able to basically run the bike one time so I have limited results. Sucks I have such limited time on my hands.
Here are some of things I noticed on the 1st run.

1. Bike pulled harder at 6,000 RPM (DCR Cam)
2. Bike seemed to pull a bit less getting to 6,000 RPM
3. In 3rd gear the bike would not go any faster as it seemed like I hit the rev limiter
4. At WOT the bike would not go any faster than 58 MPH. What happened????
5. The AFR Gauge was bouncing between 13 and 13.5 while at cruise speed. When at WOT the gauge was around 16 and seemed pinned at times. Again I wish I had more data and was watching the A/F gauge more but only had 1 run and its difficult to look at gauges and listen for noise while trying to watch the road.
6. Since I did the valve adjustment I was listening really carefully to the bike while I was going down the road. I could her a faint chatter that got higher pitched and a bit louder the more I pulled on the throttle Almost sounded like a chain with a higher pitch, its hard to explain since I'm fairly new to riding bikes as its been over 12yrs. Perhaps this noicse was the valves and they need to be adjusted again which I plan to do once the bike is completed cooled down.

Here are some questions for a novice like me with hopes I can tune this myself for optimal performance

How much of these findings can be attributed to the Valve Adjustment? What should I be listening for? How do you know the valves were adjusted perfectly?
How much of these findings can be attributed to the A/F Setting I used on the AFR +? What settings should I use with these modificaitons if not the ones recommended by Dobeck Performance?
Should I take the bike to a tuning shop which will save me from lots of time and frustration? Its difficult to tune a bike when you don't have some quiet back roads with very little traffic.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
106 Posts
You should know the valves are adjusted correctly because you measured the gaps with feeler gauges. After riding you should check them again on a completely cold bike. 16 is way way too lean. You need to add fuel at WOT.

·
Registered
240 Posts
dude 16 is bad bad bad you will roast that motor quickly doing that. Dial fuel until you get it too rich then slowly adjust until its around 11.8-13.2. I would even run it closer to the rich side wide open. Not the best for power but should run cooler (slightly)

·
Registered
938 Posts
Ya crank the red zone up from where it's at. 16 is way high. You need to have it down Bout 12.2 or so. The bike will pull way better and get higher top speed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently made some modifications to my Grom and would like to maximize its performance based on the upgrades.

Here is what I was seeing with no modifications
My Weight and Height: 170 5ft 6inTop Speed: 60 MPH
Conditions: Wind Calm, flat stretch of road, full tuck at WOT

Here is what I was seeing with Full Exhaust pieced together (D&H SS Header & Hotbodies MGB Growler) and Chimera Intake:
Top Speed: 64 MPH
Conditions: Wind calm, same road, slight tuck at WOT. If I did do another run riding fully tucked. I think I could have gotten another 2 MPH.

Here is what I am currently seeing with added DCR Cam and Valve Adjustment (My first time doing Valves and set the gap to .0025 for both intake and exhaust since I saw a few others set theirs to these settings. DCR recommended .002 and .003) Also Dobeck Performance AFR+. AFR+ Settings were per Dobeck Performance recommened settings for Grom listed on website:
Top Speed: 58 MPH
Conditions Slight head wind, same road, slight tuck at WOT.

Details: This was my first time ever doing these modificaitons and tuning a bike. I was only able to basically run the bike one time so I have limited results. Sucks I have such limited time on my hands.
Here are some of things I noticed on the 1st run.

1. Bike pulled harder at 6,000 RPM (DCR Cam)
2. Bike seemed to pull a bit less getting to 6,000 RPM
3. In 3rd gear the bike would not go any faster as it seemed like I hit the rev limiter
4. At WOT the bike would not go any faster than 58 MPH. What happened????
5. The AFR Gauge was bouncing between 13 and 13.5 while at cruise speed. When at WOT the gauge was around 16 and seemed pinned at times. Again I wish I had more data and was watching the A/F gauge more but only had 1 run and its difficult to look at gauges and listen for noise while trying to watch the road.
6. Since I did the valve adjustment I was listening really carefully to the bike while I was going down the road. I could her a faint chatter that got higher pitched and a bit louder the more I pulled on the throttle Almost sounded like a chain with a higher pitch, its hard to explain since I'm fairly new to riding bikes as its been over 12yrs. Perhaps this noicse was the valves and they need to be adjusted again which I plan to do once the bike is completed cooled down.

Here are some questions for a novice like me with hopes I can tune this myself for optimal performance

How much of these findings can be attributed to the Valve Adjustment? What should I be listening for? How do you know the valves were adjusted perfectly?
How much of these findings can be attributed to the A/F Setting I used on the AFR +? What settings should I use with these modificaitons if not the ones recommended by Dobeck Performance?
Should I take the bike to a tuning shop which will save me from lots of time and frustration? Its difficult to tune a bike when you don't have some quiet back roads with very little traffic.

Thanks for any advice!
Hi mate I live in the UK and I have a 2022 Honda Grom and I want to modify it but I can't find anywhere to tune it or can't find any plug and play systems any recommendations

1 - 6 of 6 Posts