Honda Grom banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still thinking about raising the height of my grom front and rear.
After thinking long and hard about it, I realized that although I don't like stretched groms
and do like stock short wheelbase, what I could do is buy a 1" longer swingarm and
after putting a taller shock on would raise the bike up in the rear and keep my stock
wheel base about the same. Since no one that I know of is making longer front shocks for the grom
I was thinking of two options,..
1. finding shocks at the same mm values from another bike that will fit.
2. Machining a new front triple tree fork mount that extends the front forks mounting to 1" lower then stock
effectively raising the front 1"

I would be happy with a 1-2" rise front and rear and a header that hugs the engine tight for maximum clearance.
This along with maxxis mt6024 tires and the grom would be much better suited as a dual purpose bike
ready for the street and trails.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I am still thinking about raising the height of my grom front and rear.
After thinking long and hard about it, I realized that although I don't like stretched groms
and do like stock short wheelbase, what I could do is buy a 1" longer swingarm and
after putting a taller shock on would raise the bike up in the rear and keep my stock
wheel base about the same. Since no one that I know of is making longer front shocks for the grom
I was thinking of two options,..
1. finding shocks at the same mm values from another bike that will fit.
2. Machining a new front triple tree fork mount that extends the front forks mounting to 1" lower then stock
effectively raising the front 1"

I would be happy with a 1-2" rise front and rear and a header that hugs the engine tight for maximum clearance.
This along with maxxis mt6024 tires and the grom would be much better suited as a dual purpose bike
ready for the street and trails.
I Like your thinking. I've pondered this as well, however haven't gone in depth cause I just figured it would be costly, especially how I would go about it. Keep it up and post your findings

·
Registered
64 Posts
IMO, the main limiting factor offroad is the wheel size. 12 inch wheels can be squirrely as hell. If you compare a Grom to a comparable trail bike, the Grom wheel base is only a couple of inches shorter if anything. The suspension is also lacking a couple of inches of travel (4" vs. closer to 6") but similar seat heaghts, but it has 12 inch wheels vs. 16" rear and 18-19" front. So by pure scale of comparison, it is nearly 6% wheelbase, 8% suspension height, but 35% wheel size.

218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your right wheel tire size is important and does play a part in clearance/ride height. I feel interested to try out the maxxis m6024 offroad tires in 12 inch size since I have never ridden on any 12" sized off road tires before. I did try the stock tires off road and did better then expected most likely due to the size of the bike. Growing up years ago in the 90's I had a Honda Cub AKA EZ-90 it was a fully auto 90cc 2 stroke dirt bike. The thing I remember most about it was its odd ball fat rear sized tire. I think it was a 10/80/130 sized rear knobby tire that apparently nobody makes anymore and now people are having to put slicks on those Honda EZ-90s since its the only tire available. But the bike was great offroad I remember taking it through soft powdery dirt and it pulled through with the fat 10/80/130 rear knobby tire and the maxxis m6024 tire tread pattern is very similar looking to that stock tire on the Honda EZ-90 so I feel the grom would also handle well off road with the knobby. Another idea that crossed my mind was running a 130 up front and a 140 in the rear to gain clearance but if I go that route I would need to use slicks. i could also go 130 front and rear with the maxxis knobby and adjust rear suspension to a point of keeping the stocks front end head tube angle and not feel like or be in a too leaning forward position. With the trails, and rain i'm anxious to try out the knobby tires because I also feel they will do better in the rain compared to the Michelin 2 compound tires. Lastly the maxxis knobby tires are the lightest tires i have found for the grom, about 6lbs each so a slight performance/ rotational weight advantage.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I like those maxxis knobby tires for some of the reasons you mentioned. I found out recently that they are apparently rated at 62mph max speed. I find that a little limiting if you are still using it for street too and want to go 60mph+

Not sure if maxxis tires will be next on the list or not...we'll see. Interesting post, though

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am using the Maxxis tires, and they work ok for most conditions. They do not inspire confidence on hard pack gravel roads with loose stone, but not many bike tires do. I installed the tires early on in my build, and I can tell I will likely use several rear tires vs one front tire (more than the typical 2:1 ratio on most bikes). I will admit I ride fairly aggressively and use the thing offroad, this is a toy bike and not transportation to me. With the Ohlins suspension and Maxxis tires, the bike is fine in the dirt to about 25-30mph, then I can start to tell the difference in wheel size.

With that said, if you want a real dualsport or scrambler bike to use as transportation, in my opinion, don't waste your money hoping for unrealistic expectations. A $1500 used TW200 would and could kill my bike offroad and down the street, and I have more than twice that cost in parts alone. But if you want a one of a kind, cult favorite, small displacement toy, have at it. I personally like modifying the bike almost more than riding it. I plan to have a toy for a while longer until I am bored with it, then I will likely park the thing in the corner of my garage or house.

In my opinion again, my modified Grom is not particularily good at anything including offroad, but it's the best wide open throttle, quick turning, curb jumping monkey bike money can buy. That's what it was made for, that is what I do with it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Honestly I have been thinking about this also as I ride with friends who have supermoto bikes and do dirt roads/offroading I would love to putt around with the grom.

We would need at the minimum bearing adapters for this: KLX110 Marzocchi Front End Kit - PIRANHA - Pit Bike Parts klx 110bearings are a few mm in diameter smaller....

But this plus 1" longer swingarm and a longer shock! :D Run the maxxis knobby in rear and matching on the 14" front.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The Race Tech front suspension re-valve kit adds 20mm more travel. If you couple them with a 10mm fork tube extension, you'll have raised the front about 1.2 inches, with 0.8 inches being additional suspension travel.

As for your rear shock plans, you could go for the longer suspension route plus longer travel shock as you currently have planned (unknown rear rise depending on length of swingarm extension and additional shock travel distances), or you could simply add a bolt-on rear shock extension that will add height, but not give any additional travel.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
just get a set of spoked offroad wheels, like 14's. then you can have 2 wheel sets for different uses. ?

·
Banned
489 Posts
You could go with the 13's seen online at: Wide 13" wheels for Grom/MSX That would help the height a little and couple it with a few of the other mods already mentioned in this thread you might be right where you need to be. Also the 13 might give you some other dual purpose tire choices not available in the current 12" size.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You can raise the front slightly with a few modifications.

1) The Race Tech front fork kit's springs are 20mm longer than the stockers under loads (that's about 4/5 of an inch). ~$300 The added benefit is a better front end plus a bit more travel and height (the Öhlins kit maintains stock dimensions).

2) There's a set of fork caps that'll give you an extra 15mm (I saw them on WeBike). ~$30 easy and cheap mod for added height.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Also, whether the prior owner adjusted the shock, replaced the spring, used a raising link, or any combination, it's relatively easy to restore stock dimensions, FYI.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts