Honda Grom banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have problems triggering off traffic signals that rely on cars to trip the sensors in the pavement to get the light to change? I have several of these types of intersections near the house and if there is nobody behind me to set off the sensor, I'll be sitting there for multiple cycles. I literally have to park the bike, get off, walk over to the crosswalk signal and hit the button to get the light to change. Is there a product that makes the sensor think there is a car over it or a way to park over the sensor to trigger it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Try stopping closer to the edges of the sensor. Or just ride through the red light. It's legal in VA. If you're the only one there, nobody will know that you weren't waiting 2 minutes... Check your local laws.

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a driver of a motorcycle or moped or a bicycle rider approaches an intersection that is controlled by a traffic light, the driver or rider may proceed through the intersection on a steady red light only if the driver or rider (i) comes to a full and complete stop at the intersection for two complete cycles of the traffic light or for two minutes, whichever is shorter, (ii) exercises due care as provided by law, (iii) otherwise treats the traffic control device as a stop sign, (iv) determines that it is safe to proceed, and (v) yields the right of way to the driver of any vehicle approaching on such other highway from either direction.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Or just get some Neodymium magnets off amazon.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
A lot depends on the technology being used to trigger the light. For the induction loop based triggers (where you can see where wires are buried in the pavement), it’s suggested to line up right over one of the buried wires (say a central one). I’ve also read that for the inductive systems, shutting off and restarting the engine can be enough to create an electromagnetic event to trigger the system too. With some lights, you do what you have to do though.

·
Registered
2022 Grom
70 Posts
I guess some lights have cameras instead of loops (which seems like a nice solution if it's reliable, seems like it would be more reliable actually).

·
Registered
2022 Grom
4 Posts
If the light seems like it isn't detecting me I just drive over to the cross walk button and press it then drive back to the lane i was at. Gets the light going pretty quickly every time lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts