Honda Grom banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so i installed the trail tech cht today and I'm curious what a safe operation temp would be with a bbk? I did a bit of research but theres so much conflicting information.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I start backing off at 360F. 375F is when I let off completely.

I've had two buddies who felt sudden power loss, backed off the throttle, and when they looked down at the gauge, it was reading 400F. Luckily, both their bikes seemed to run normal after cooling off. Probably seconds away from disaster.

·
Registered
726 Posts
When my bike runs up to 375F you can smell the oil odor coming out of the breather. One long ride where the bike stays close to 375F, and there's a good chance my synthetic oil will come out with a viscosity like water.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I start backing off at 360F. 375F is when I let off completely.

I've had two buddies who felt sudden power loss, backed off the throttle, and when they looked down at the gauge, it was reading 400F. Luckily, both their bikes seemed to run normal after cooling off. Probably seconds away from disaster.
I figured 360 was the high end, but what should normal operating temps run around. I've seen 205-230

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depends what your setup is.

186cc dhm bbk
Tb cam
Chimera intake
Cheap chinese exhaust, new 1.5" already order, just waiting for it to arrive.
17/32t gearing
Takegawa High output oil pump
Morin Oil cooler
Seat
Upgraded shock
Fender eliminator
Adjustable levers
Monster eye light (looking into ruck eyes)
Bar end mirrors
Integrated tail light
Upgraded clutch ( as well as 60% springs and koso lifter)
Compostmo (?) Bars, stretch kit, and 4.5" lower link
2" fork lowering cups ( looking into ruckus forks with bigger brakes)
Trail tech cht gauge
12oclock lab speedohealer
Full fairing ( may switch it up to a belly pan later this season)
And other stuff I'm forgetting that I'll remember to add later.

·
Registered
726 Posts
If you're running a stock cylinder head and stock throttle body, I doubt you'll run into overheating problems. Especially with 17/32 gearing. Going full throttle up a hill in 3rd or 4th gear is when you want to keep an eye on your CHT.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

1. If you're running a stock cylinder head and stock throttle body, I doubt you'll run into overheating problems. Especially with 17/32 gearing. Going full throttle up a hill in 3rd or 4th gear is when you want to keep an eye on your CHT.
  2. I'll keep that in mind. The bike is built to cruise speeds. No tracking it or anything like that yet haha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts