Honda Grom banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who else has been bashing there groms through treacherous trails? I noticed quickly after my purchase that everyone has the tendency to head offroad. After flattening two headers I decided to build some skidplates. They've been an on-going project and constant improvement. I took the white grom on several motorcycle/jeep trails while in Colorado and it did excellent! Only thing I would change would be gearing (if it were on the trails more often). Anyways, just a new guy dropping by to say hi. Let me know what you think and would love to see what others have done!

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
thats sweet, i am in the process (meaning i have the parts) to start my dual sport Grom conversion. I was looking at all the engine parts that are exposed and vulnerable thinking to myself "i wish someone would make a good skid plate for these bikes" and here you go. My issue is i have the Brock's exhaust that mounts low so your plate style wouldn't work for my set up unless i got a new pipe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Neat, although the limited suspension travel is a liability. I'm surprised they make 12" knobbies.

For the dirt, I have a Yamaha XT225, with about double the suspension travel of a Grom, 100cc more displacement, and the seat is only ~1" higher than a Grom. Compared to a Grom, the XT225 is a torque monster.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You miss the point. You can literally walk this thing on the seat up and over anything. Nobody claims a grom is a dual sport. Go slow, take easy lines, laugh and enjoy. THe short wheelbase with those knobbies will get you almost anywhere even without clearance, you jsut aren't burning down the forest roads through potholes and over rocks. Enjoy the scenery. Its a grom.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Build1.jpg Build2.jpg Build3.jpg Build4.jpg Build5.jpg 072.jpg 071.jpg 069.jpg 202.jpg
Sorry guy's for not returning sooner. Thing's have been hectic to say the least. Thank you all for the kind words! This project has been a labor of love from the beginning. The initial design was a steel support (1/8" or close to it) and aluminum skidplate (1/8"). I even integrated a sensor guard into the front mount. This design would be adequate for 99.999% of people, but I can't leave anything well enough alone. We rode them like that for a short while until I decided to make the skid's into a pan. The white grom has always been the test dummy so it got the pan treatment first. I beat the crap out of that dude and it never failed so the black grom was next. Please remember that this project was a pain in the ass...So the thought of building TWO of everything sucks and on top of that they are both completely different designs. You will notice the differences between the PC and FMF headers. The PC header hangs down considerably further and actually gives access to your drain plug whereas the FMF is tucked up tight and doesn't. They were both built with the exact same materials and loosely resemble each other. The cool part is that when the kickstands are up the bottom of the grom is smooth. I can post more pics upon request but this should give a decent idea of how it was done. As far as selling these. I was going to build a fixture and do a run but opted out. It is too niche and I haven't seen much interest outside of a couple people (but who knows!). Plus I'm relocating for work and don't have access to my dad/uncles BADASS shop haha. There is one more update but I left the groms in my dads garage so it will have to wait until I can get some new pictures. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I think this is really cool. I also "light off-road" my Grom, and the after-market parts industry as a whole has not yet produced a decent skid plate. Your design looks excellent.

Thank you for sharing these pictures and information.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's really taoo bad! If you search Grom skid plates the only real come back is the Kitaco which is really nice but pricey $120.00 and up. Check the accessory outlets, nada
Manufactures?.. Well T Rex does make one for just under $200.00 only problem is you need to also purchase their engine cage to mount it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Someone does.. Kitaco (Japan) Make a very decent skid plate you should be able to find in the $150-175.00 price range., T Rex also make a nice one for about the same price proble is you also have to purch their engine guard$$ to mount the skid plate to...
I really got frustrated as this shortcoming should have been address by the industry loong ago. You can Find a couple very basi,c flat ones with 2 rear pylons for mounting and a slight up sweep at the front. These go for about $20.00 ebay, amazon.
Brain cells frying.. I got down to looking for alternatives. The main criteria was that it had to wrap the engine a bit. Front and sides..mm What other bike design has the exhaust run underneath the engine?
Success!! I am sure you can find similar or better quality wise but I found for $39.00 on ebay an engine guard that is designed for the BMW G310GS. I also purchased a few large rubber spacers that once I figure out how to mount., Large washers will contact the engine part.
Well, it is a start and the is a weld shop not too far away.....
Off road mods... What is a better purchase.. A swing arm with needle bearing or, a better rear shock.. $150.00 range????

1 - 11 of 11 Posts